Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Salvaging since the replacement of crafting profiency

Discussion in 'Release 52 QA Feedback Forum' started by SteelCore, Mar 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteelCore

SteelCore Avatar

Since crafting profiency was replaced by skill values it seems to me that salvaging is totally broken!
    I tried on QA 650 this morning and the results are in absolutely no way comparable to "pre-nerf" times.

All salvaging skills are GM and i used a potion of reclamation:

50 Clan Armor pieces... no patterns
    100 Bandit Blades... 2 blades
    175 Elven Bows... 7 imbued strings
    200 Eleven Swords... 3 hilts

I am really not satisfied.

Maybe someone just forgot to look into the salvaging numbers when you changed the crafting system ?

2. Sea Hunter

Sea Hunter Avatar

Seems pretty rough. Maybe they really nerfed it hard to stop so many High level items from being created thus making them more rare and sought after? Who knows.

3. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

It was the same the release before at least as i was seriously collecting and salvaging armour pieces at least and pondered if to wait till the next release or not with the changes. I sometimes do around 300-500 armour salvage runs, with skill at 119 and a potion(169) and get a % salvage chance of about 5%. In order to make the 8 million crafting xp pay for its use in that one skill then would have to charge lots to recoup the investment.. I have tried charging this and no one buys! But i at least have a few patterns for my own armour pieces which was the main goal for me at least. I have since dropped all points in it but may take back to gm at some point soon as i have lots more to salvage but if gm isn't enough to get a decent rate then i will drop again completely.

4. Cock of the North

Cock of the North Avatar

I was wondering about this a lot recently. I have never received any pattern for salvaging any items since I started.

I think I will drop those skills for something more worthwhile.

5. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

The component rates for the amount of items you must farm are far too low when you work out crafting breakage rates - you easily need dozens of components to get a viable weapon out of it, and those weapons wont last forever. There's rare, and then there's pointless, since while the material bonus on the special component may be superior you can't 'work them' as high on ench/mw unless you farm what quite simply is an unreasonably quantity of them.

4x as many to get an exceptional and have enough durability to work with.
    60% of which will survive 2x/2x
    On something like a spear, where you have a pool of 21 possible masterworks, actually getting the ones you want means you need to make more and more and more of them....you're better off using regular components at this stage since you can keep throwing materials at it.

Same issue for patterns, the pattern system may as well not exist for in-game patterns on many items; this needs a serious balance pass.
    We have kobold slag sword patterns coming out of our ears, because they drop every time. Elven bow patterns you can't give them away.
    Something like a steam hammer that is dropped 'sometimes' by only the 1 kobold having a 1% pattern chance on salvage, or a katana (same issue, only a few mobs drop it with a horribly low drop rate).

Either up the drop rates on these other weapons or adjust the salvage, really. Spending four hours to get 6 katanas when there's a 1% pattern chance is far too low.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Elwyn and Sole like this.
  6. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

There was a bug posted and some threads on it.

Discussion:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...d-long-bows-is-way-broken.110485/#post-949127

Bug:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...lven-hilts-or-bow-strings.109250/#post-944755

I don't think we ever got any response from the devs. I personally have given up on trying to get bow strings and staves from elven bows or hilts from elven swords since they made this change. Before I could reliably get something every inventory load or 2. Afterwards, I wasn't able to pull one and I am not a GM in salvage and would have to work my way up to the poor rates I have seen in the forums.

7. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I salvaged over 700 estocs and got one elven hilt with gm in salvage and pot on.

Elwyn and Joe Zhudarak like this.
  8. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

i noticed this too Mac, more than a week farming estocs about 50 a day.... 0 elven hilt

Mac2 likes this.
  9. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Well, by that notion, you'd need aprox 2800 estocs to get one 'exceptional' crafted elven estoc (circa 25% exceptional chance)
    And then to have it survive 2 mw, 2 enchants (which needs to pass 95% * 95% * 83% * 83% at gm) - 62% success chance - so now you need 4500 estocs just to meet the probability on it not blowing up.

Of course, then you have to deal with the RNG. You'd probably need to duplicate this exercise 10 times or so to deal with the 'far too many options in pool' issue.... I say this somewhat arbitrarily, but the chances of getting 2 specific masterworks is something like 3/10 choices * 3/9 choices so about 10%. Of course its slightly worse for enchanting. But I'm being optimistic here and saying make 10 to get something you're "reasonably willing to accept." Ie, a sword that you're not stuck with a pointless focus enchant on, for example, or mws of skills you dont use, and so forth.
    So. um....45,000 estocs?

And..if you wanted two specific masterworks and 2 specific enchants....well, thats like 1% chance (10% * 10%)
    450,000 estocs?

Nobody else finds this ridiculous?

10. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

I dual wield longswords so need 2 of them....

Elwyn and Mac2 like this.
  11. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Well that's kind of my point. You look at the actual probabilities for this and realize that you're better off just vendoring all the estocs for money.
    In a test of aproximately 1400 estocs at GM salvage + potion, assuming the value of a 'hilt' was aproximately 4k (we had slightly better luck than @Mac2) we worked out that you just barely broke even on 'hilt value' vs. "what the npc vendor would pay for the dropped estocs." That was including valuing metal scraps at 2 per, which I felt was over generous.

I don't even bother crushing the estocs anymore. I just shopfeed them.

Sole, Chatele and Mac2 like this.
  12. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

LMAO - ITYS

"Make sure you have rare items come out at rare levels - if they are too low you can always turn them up but if you try and turn tam back you will get too much kick back . . ."

Now in saying that the "Rare" drop / salvage / create / enchant / masterwork rate (success) has been a farce since inception.

Yet somehow there now also needs to be a Producer Decay ?????

How about get a whole team working on the creativity / ingenuity / resourcefulness of each and every crafting item. Case in point was Zinc and Tungstun instead of creating a use for them just tied them inot already created recipies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.