Scene atlas?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aldo, Dec 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Has anyone created an atlas of scenes with some detail about what kinds of mobs are there, quests, and other interesting facts? I know you can find specifics on blessings by searching here, the wiki and etc. But if one was getting bored and wanted to browse scene info for adventure opportunities in general, is there a compendium somewhere? For example: Ravensmoor, tier 8+, undead, obsidian bears and boars. Entrance to Ruins of Ravensmoor in scene.

Rinaldi and Synergy Blaize like this.
  2. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

3. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Thanks, I guess what I am getting at is the newer player. Other than word of mouth and what can be gleaned from the manual, when they walk by (let's say) South Midmear, how would they know there was a blessing quest in there? The player may not even know there are blessing quests. I am a veteran player, but have spent most of my time in about 1/3 of the map. I adventure 5 skull and up. If there is no such guide, it is not a big deal to me, but I would imagine such a thing would be a very friendly resource for the newer player. That player entering South Midmear would probably never know about the blessing quest even if he/she went in many times. Just knowing that this scene contained such a quest going in would greatly enhance the exploration of the area. Later if discovery does not work, a deep dive into youtube, or forum spoilers would facilitate mastering the scene. Perhaps discovery could be a part of the quest system. Perhaps an NPC who sends you out to discover the blessing in various scenes...

Rinaldi and Synergy Blaize like this.
  4. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

for most, if not all scenes, there is a little info icon you can hover your mouse over that shows you want kind of stuff is in that scene. not sure how specific it gets with quest info though.

5. Floors

Floors Avatar

We have new players ? lol

macnlos and Aldo like this.
  6. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

@Daxxe Diggler I read your great post in the other thread, "The best review ever written", and this is exactly what I mean. Great info and well presented. I hope someone more capable than myself will tackle a community project like this, documenting the whole land. I did not want to presume and copy it here, I hope you do.

Daxxe Diggler and Synergy Blaize like this.
  7. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

@Aldo - I think what you are looking for (or requesting) is a great idea. Having a brief synopsis of each scene and it's mobs/quests/puzzles/etc. all in one "atlas guide" would be a fantastic resource, especially for newer players. I'd imagine it would even be helpful to veterans who simply never wandered into some scenes because they never knew there was something worthwhile in them and they already have their favorite places to go and adventure.

However, this would be a huge undertaking and would require a lot of work to get together and keep updated. The problems I see with accomplishing this feat would be the fact that there are so many scenes to begin with, then you factor in the Devs are always adding new creatures and content or upgrading scenes to make improvements... so even if you spent a great deal of time to creat such a resource, it would be an ongoing task to keep it updated.

Perhaps if I get some free time, I'll try to come up with a "guide to my favorite scenes" or a "guide to SOTA dungeons" that will list and explain some of the best (IMO) content in the game. But for now, I will at least suggest a fantastic bunch of links to posts by my good friend @Rinaldi :
    - List of Useful Links - As it's titled, this is a list of a bunch of useful links to all kinds of guides, websites, events, scene maps made by players, guides for devotionals and blessings info, and much much more. Too many to list here. This would be my suggestion for starting to look for anything related to this game. Bookmark it! I believe it has the links for the rest of these below too... but I'll add a few I like best here.
    - Easter Eggs and Real World References - This is a thread that details many cool things that you can find through exploring the in-game scenes of SOTA. Some of them may lead to a bit of treasure, but this is mainly a list of things that will give you a reason to explore a scene just to find an Easter Egg.
    - Solutions to Puzzles and Treasure Hunts - This thread is a list of almost every puzzle in the game, including all the devotionals and solutions to unlock them (in spoiler tags in case you want to figure them out on your own). If this one doesn't give you a reason to visit and explore new scenes, I don't know what will.

@Rinaldi has done a fantastic job putting these things together and he keeps them updated very regularly. In fact, not sure if he ever got awarded an ONBE for all his hard work with these guides... he certainly deserves one for it! In fact, @DarkStarr / @Lord British please accept this as my nomination of @Rinaldi to receive such a high honor. :D

8. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Yes, I have @Rinaldi link bookmarked and probably not a week goes by I don't use it. Thanks for the interest and comments. Indeed, keeping stuff up to date is daunting. Perhaps we can all get this game up and running if the desire is there. The Wiki seems to be the best place to post the info with a standard format. We need to brainstorm a template that will work with all the scenes. @Browncoat Jayson , what would you need?

9. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Indeed, it is VERY daunting.

I'd really like to get every scene to be fairly close to the Ardoris topic. All of the sections in that topic, broken down, with any player information (houses, vendors, etc) on the related Community topic.

The other thing that needs to get done, once the map is fixed in the game, is allow us to pull maps and add a dynamic layer for use on pages. Thats on Port tho.

Mostly, we just need people reporting when things are wrong. Its too hard to keep up otherwise, and then everyone complains that we are out of date.

Jaesun, Alley Oop and Aldo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.