Selective PvP is to Casual

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Red2, Mar 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red2

Red2 Avatar

Everyone take it easy I'm not trying to say selective PvP is casual as a negative thing. But that is the type of PvP we're talking about when it comes to selective PvP. A better direction would be consensual PvP.

Selective PvP will be manipulated and people will always take the easy way out. They will hide behind the flag when they're weak and PvP when they are maxed out with 5 of there friends. It should be a constant threat to that PvPer. A permanent threat to the character. That way the player won't always have the best gear and 5 friends online.

Should a player get a choice to PvP? Yes. Make it when your maxed out or right away.

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi Red2, well perhaps I'm not understanding, but you can pvp everywhere now. I think there is a chance that pvp will continute to get tweaked as feedback is heard. It's a fairly new system in the game and truly combat hasn't been in all that many releases.
    So anyway **cheers* and again welcome ;)

Ice Queen, Moiseyev Trueden and Red2 like this.
  3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Um, not sure what you've been eating, but that's the way it is now...........

4. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

I understand what he is saying!

blaquerogue and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  5. Red2

Red2 Avatar

Any way. The speech on zones threw me off.

blaquerogue likes this.
  6. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Wassup man, here how its "supposed" to work, You flag PVP everyone that is flagged PVP is open game to each other, anywhere and everywhere . Im sure they will implement guards and safe places ( like certain cities/towns will have guards that will react to PVP in town.) The only thing you wont be able to do is attack (somone not flagged).

Now for the PVP Zones, thats just a common area for PVP and PVE. If you PVE, before you enter you get a warning "this is a pvp zone and you will be flagged pvp if you enter ! Do you wish to enter? yes or no." Etc. it is a temporary PVP status for PVE (basically it was made for then, we dont really need it since we are PVP flagged already). Yes i can see some PVe abuse happeing there like you said going in and out. Im sure they wil have something to regulate it. (timer more than likley.

So thats what the zone thing was about. :)

7. NZIGNANTI

NZIGNANTI Avatar

Here's an idea: Remove the phrase PVP, and return to the Risk vs Reward realm. There is no such thing as: "I want to rob you with my sword to your throat. But, please engage in a fair fight with me first."

Ariella, Deathblow, Net and 1 other person like this.
  8. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

I like the idea of cut-throat, but i think players that don't want that experience should be able to opt out.

Dropping on rookies is a high, recalling in and bashing the nerd that was farming earth eles the thrill of the hunt. Ah, who doesn't love it? Now imagine if it were between combatants of actual skill, and a reward, and a chance of failure.

This is where the PVP argument for all the time pvp takes an interesting facade of wanting to just obliterate poor players.

I think having areas that are multi-zoned-lengthed for rewards such as shame, or particular dungeons in other games would help pvpers feel a bit more snuggly in their environment while at the same time letting those who want to opt out, to have their opt out!

dungeon_level_1 vastly wide area with plenty of exits, and escapes so PVERS can STILL EXIT
    dungeon_level_2 bit more loot reward but we're getting narrower, darker
    dungeon_level_3 more loot, and a lot of distance to cover between you and the surface...
    dungeon_level_4 escape from here is probably impossible
    dungeon_level_5 well, somewhere around here it feels a hell of a lot like felluca
    dungeon_level_6 THE CITY OF WIND! or a bazaar or brigands, or... npcs or something

I kinda liked dungeon crawl though, you'd find random vendors selling goodies, but, that was thrown in for flavor since people hate reading my posts!

Ice Queen and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  9. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

You can flip the Open PvP back and forth currently, but I believe there is a delay from how often the Oracle will remove and implement it (assuming that is the flag you are referring to). This prevent some of the abuse you are referring to. Also, you have to actually travel to the Oracle in order to switch it, which prevents even more randomized abuse.

One of the problems with the idea of doing it at character creation, what happens for those (like most of the people I will be playing with) who utterly detest PvP with a passion and will slit their throats or quit the game before doing it have someone they group with regularly that also wants to PvP. Having that person perma-flagged in a party can completely screw both the player and the party (what happens if they are spec as the healer and then get randomly ganked). The ability to switch it on and off allows them to safely play with those that don't want it without ruining their experience while still being able to take advantage of it at a later time. Or, on the less likely but still technically possible, what happens if one of my friends wants to try it out to see if its different from 100% of every other PvP experience they've ever tried? Now they are either completely unable to test it out, or they are screwed and have to delete and recreated the character.

Ice Queen likes this.
  10. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

I can see where this thread is going... It would be amusing if this wasn't like the millionth time already... Can't we all just get along...

11. Blarla

Blarla Avatar

This is being discussed on another post right now actually and I agree with you. Constantly flicking between the flags should be restricted somehow.

While this would never affect a non PvPer, because why would any of us ever want to change our non PvP flag? Let's face it, we wouldn't. However it could and would most likely get abused by some PvPers in the manner you described.

The other post has mentioned penalty for DKs and I suggested a type of cooldown, by that I mean days or weeks, not minutes or hours.

I think most would just stick to it then, imagine a PvPer stuck in non PvP flag mode? Yeah, they would avoid it.

benn289 and Tahru like this.
  12. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

The last I'd heard, and I admit my information could be out of date, I believe the only way to toggle your flag would be to perform a quest which would end at the Oracle... Those who wish to be able to battle with others similarly flagged throughout the land would quest to receive the blessing of the Oracle, and then again, or a similar quest to have it lifted. It won't simply be something that can be flipped on or off at will.

I'm unsure what their plans were for exiting Shardfall scenes, or whether one who had not received the blessing of the Oracle would have their flag linger for a time upon exiting.

Laila and Tahru like this.
  13. Blarla

Blarla Avatar

Ah, we have two posts on this topic that may just be missing that bit of info.

As long as it isn't to easy, that is the main thing.

Tahru likes this.
  14. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I wish it was easier though. There are times I want to PVP and times I don't. If it is too much a pain to switch I wont.

ha, i rhymed :)

Ice Queen and Net like this.
  15. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Here is the thread: PvP & Death: Current Thinking Megapost

And the relevant passage:
    • Blessings of the Oracle (Open PVP): We are intrigued by the idea of weaving PVP into the lore, so a current idea is that players can complete a task / quest for the Oracle that will flag them as open PVP. Likewise they can have this flag removed by completing a task / quest for the Oracle. The Oracle is neutral (but judgmental) so this is a great way for us to provide a neutral way to get to Open PVP vs. having to set up factions, track blue reds, etc. Players who are in Open PVP (Blessed and Guilds flagged Open PVP) will be able to PVP with each other whenever they encounter each other, even in towns (but guards can, and will, react). Blessed Avatars may also gain access to PVP specific skills and the ability to craft PVP enchantments/enhancements.
    I believe the last sentence is no longer true, however. Thinking has changed on that point.

Tahru likes this.
  16. Blarla

Blarla Avatar

Kinda the point I think to a degree. They will never want to make it concrete because British isn't about that, he likes players to be able to evolve, change and mix up their gameplay style. But at the same time we all need to be mindful of abusing such a feature, because if there is room for it, then it will occur.

Like the skill trees currently, granted they are only so cheap and easy to mess with now because we are in test mode, but imagine if that was the freedom in release? Madness I say!

Tahru likes this.
  17. Blarla

Blarla Avatar

'...The Oracle is neutral (but judgmental)...' Lol

Yes I did read that and then forgot, it is because I would never be interested in switching from non PvP. So it comes down to what quests they put in place then. Watch this space I guess.

Tahru likes this.
  18. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

There is a teaser from Chris in Community Announcements. There should be more, and more recent thinking revealed on Monday.

Laila and Tahru like this.
  19. Hugsforpeace

Hugsforpeace Avatar

I haven't even logged into the game yet, the fact remains though. This is all in a pre-alpha stage, where everything is subject to change. My full hope and dream is a two server environment.

1) PvE/Selective PvP
    2) PvP Everywhere but in town, unless in factions. Pretty much Siege Perilous or Mugen.

Don't need any servers past that at all. The other great thing about pvp servers is that crafters play a much larger roll on them as people always need new gear after dying or as their gear breaks. I'll post a lengthy thought out post on this subject after a few weeks of play time as I get caught up on the dev's and their plans.

Moonshadow and Tahru like this.
  20. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

No, this is not subject to change, or debate:
    [​IMG]
    Nor will there be separate severs.

Tahru likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.