Sexual Harassment, Religious Zealotry, Racism-A Definitive Guide to Stopping it in SOTA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blake Blackstone, Jun 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Now days people are offended by pretty much anything and everything. Its nearly impossible to make it through a single day without seeing, or dealing, with those selfless heroes known as the Social Justice League! These warriors come to the aid of everyone who may, or may not, be offended by someone directly, or indirectly, even if said person doesn't solicit the help.

Unfortunately, these well trained combatants are stretched thin, having to monitor the whole world against anything that could be construed as offensive to someone else. Finger pointing and calls for censorship are the most powerful weapons these crusaders have at their disposal to protect others'(and their own) fragile egos and minds!

The members of the Social Justice League are taxed from having to be on Facebook, Twitter, the comments section of pretty much every website, and in online gaming all at once. Fortunately, the devs are geniuses, knowing that someone somewhere will more than likely be offended in SotA at pretty much all times by something. Therefore, they have given us a powerful, magical tool so that the SJL may focus their efforts elsewhere.

I Present To You:
    The Block Function!
    If you find yourself being offended in game, press "F" on your keyboard, type the offenders name in the box that pops up, click "Block Player".

I know this easy task is not as satisfying as making a huge deal of the offense by calling out the offender, laboriously discussing how you were offended, and getting backup from the Social Justice League to justify your claims. But if you are truly offended and not just seeking attention to your own beliefs and morals, this function is extremely useful.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  2. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Wait Blackstone what is this personal responsibility you speak? We must all be coddled and protected from being offended at all times, in all places, in all circumstances.

The image below is the 2015 edition. The 2016 edition is still waiting on the remaining Brazilian rain forest trees to complete printing. Because only old growth rain forest trees are suitable for such an important book.

2015 List of Mandated Public Offenses Regulatory Best Business Practices Condensed Field Edition

[​IMG]

Minerva, RoStudios, smack and 5 others like this.
  3. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

I bet this here gets moderated real quick ^^

4. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Bwahaha

Melissa likes this.
  5. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

The block feature isn't a mechanism that gives offenders freedom or license to run around and be dicks to everyone.

There are limits to what is socially acceptable behavior. And it's a sad sad day when the lowest common denominator is what it is.

6. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Probably,

Biting Sarcasm was added in 2008 and is detailed on pages 3456-3929.

Sheamus McGuinness, Melissa and PK U like this.
  7. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Indeed the issue is eventually everything becomes offensive to someone. We have a thread on here stating animals are equal to humans which I find extremely offense. Rather than complain, I use logic and sarcasm to point at the laughable idiocracy.

I've been through countless and I mean COUNTLESS training on various forms of harassment. The FIRST step is to notify the "offender" directly and ask them to stop. Block is another option on a forum or game.

Minerva and Melissa like this.
  8. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

There is truth in this, people even look for reasons to be offended.

However harrasment and that could include the description of sexual acts,race bashing etc. isnt cool. Pubic made books will be extreamly dangerous from a liability point for portalarium I think they should rethink allowing these.With the possibly millions of players these will be used as a vehicle for harassment.

Nick likes this.
  9. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

If only things could be like were years ago, when offended people couldn't speak up for themselves?

Even the title of this thread is precisely what Berek cautioned us to be conservative in writing about. Perhaps there's a lack of awareness on the part of some people that makes them feel justified in poking the bear just because someone said don't do it? Self control is as much a virtue as self-awareness and I would say that anyone who thinks "today" is somehow worse than "yesterday" could use a dose of both.

10. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

The issue is where does harassment stop? Sexual acts are less offensive than violence and murder in my view. What about cannibalism? Cannibalism is a socially repugnant act that is against the law globally. Genocide, killing all elves is acceptable? Murdering children? Killing animals for sport? So perhaps we need to ban ALL player created content?

Vermine, Melissa and PK U like this.
  11. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Actually it would be better for them not to try and censor them. Once they start to do so, they are establishing the fact that they can control it and open themselves up to liability. Its as simple as taking the inappropriate language coding from the chat window and applying it to books. Make it a toggled function.

12. Womby

Womby Avatar

As someone who wants to role play an author, publisher and bookseller, I am not the least bit happy that my plans for how I wish to enjoy playing the game could be threatened by someone with the maturity of an ill-disciplined child.
    Maybe we should have to apply for a licence to write books. A licence that can be revoked.

evillego6, Sophi, Kara Brae and 4 others like this.
  13. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yea I have no anwser, I just dont want to read about legal actions this is a crazy time we live in. Mabey a disclamer thing pops up when u read a player made book idk.

Melissa and Greyfox like this.
  14. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

First of all, I really don't know what you are talking about in regards to Berek.

Secondly, what did I say about blocking people as a simple solution, do you not agree with? Most of the "offended" aren't offended enough to block someone and move on. It has to be drug out and put on display for the world to see.

Jatvardur and Melissa like this.
  15. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

The issue needs to be discussed in the community not buried and blocked by moderation.

A VERY simple solution would be to write a short bit of code requiring player published books to have a rating system on the title. Then anyone opening the book has personal responsibility.

Manerd, Womby, Melissa and 1 other person like this.
  16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Wheaton's Law.

That's pretty much all I ask for.

And, tangentially, recognizing that the phrase hasn't actually been used in this thread as of this writing, next time someone argues "Politically Correct," do a find and replace on the text and substitute the phrase "Treat people with Respect" then reread their argument.

17. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

+1 important conversation

Womby and Melissa like this.
  18. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Aren't you also dragging out your own uneducated side of this for the world to see? (with this post) Again, self-awareness and self-control. Or perhaps you'd understand it better if I said it using the popular catch phrase "personal responsibility".

But besides that fail in logic, you don't know the full story. I don't either, but I have some bits and pieces that tell me just enough to know I don't know the full story. What little I do know about this whole ordeal though is that regardless of what you or I think, other people are entitled to their sense of uncomfortableness and it's up to Portalarium to piece it all together and deliver a verdict that is best for the game. It's not up to us to do that. It's also not up to us to litigate our political views on the subject because political views are against the forum rules, so this thread is wrong any way you look at it.

evillego6 likes this.
  19. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

This is actually the option employed by many titles. Having been in the gaming industry on the Customer Support side of the fence, the cost to moderate any Player Created Content is so high that most titles when performing their CBA opt to remove or drastically limit it.

20. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Wheaton's Law should have been applied in the response to what someone deems inappropriate.

IE: Don't consume the content than complain in a public forum about said content.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.