Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Shadows are still to dark

Discussion in 'Release 11 Feedback' started by Root2, Oct 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Root2

Root2 Avatar

While shadows do add a great deal to the graphics quality I still feel that shadowed areas are simply to dark. I feel that the darkness of shadows could probably be almost cut in half.

The shadowed side of a building should not be nearly pitch black. As it is they are so dark I have started turning shadows off just so that I can see a lot of things. I wish we could meet somewhere in the middle.

2. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

/signed.

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I was thinking this whole time that the darkness still was too light. When I look outside at night in most places I can still see to the edges of the map (in most places).

I do think the underground areas are good. But outside, I don't see significant darkness anywhere. What I'd really like to see is that when it's dark, it's REALLY dark. But when someone has a light source it's very light in that area and then progressively gets REALLY DARK again as you move out from that light source.

Duke Invidia (Envy) likes this.
  4. hackerssuck

hackerssuck Avatar

Even when I use the light spell from the Sun magic line, it's such a small radius I can basically only see my character and about 1 foot in all directions. :p I don't know if dumping more points into it would help, but I really don't want to spend 10 points in a skill like that.

So, yeah /signed.

5. smack

smack Avatar

The lighting model needs a ton more work. But I don't know how much more they can achieve with Unity 4.x or if its worth the effort to write complex lighting shaders for it. They need to switch to Unity 5 to take advantage of the new global illumination and this will help with problems like this.

http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/09/18/global-illumination-in-unity-5/

Sir Baralis Maedun and selbie like this.
  6. selbie

selbie Avatar

Will the Unity 5 upgrade happen soon? I thought it was still some time away...
    Either way it will make a huge difference :D

I also recommend using SweetFX for now. It can simulate bloom and HDR lighting effects to adjust the light balance to suit. It takes a lot of tweaking the values but the good thing is that it can be edited while playing the game :)

7. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Plus, I was getting some strange lighting...wonder if shadows are just out of place...

8. redfish

redfish Avatar

Separate topic, but when weather is in the game, it would be cool if sometimes moors and swamps had heavy fog roll in that made vision difficult.

(By the way, if we're phasing scenes, why can't we create winter, summer, spring, fall, versions of scenes)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.