Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Shelter vs. Farmland

Discussion in 'Release 25 Feedback Forum' started by Poor game design, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Don't get me wrong.. I like a lot of ideas here. Vendors require a bed, weather affecting health etc.. just not for the reason of trying to control how people use their property.

Why you add a feature influences how that feature is designed and implemented...

Here's my problem.. The only real concern I can see here is an economic one. How will an abundance of crops impact the economy? Well if the economy is properly implemented then there's no issue. It comes down to incentive. Rather than trying to make it harder to grow crops.. which would only raise prices.. (which would actually encourage farming) let farmers farm their brains out and find it's not worth their time.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  2. Black Orchid

Black Orchid Avatar

I agree getting too hungry all the time can be a pain . you spend most of your game time searching for food.:(

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Bowen Bloodgood,

Yea I agree with you on that... none of this should be used to control what people do; once rules are in place, let people do what they want. Although, I do think its important to look at what conditions exist in the game world and how they affect immersion.

I think some places it just makes sense that its harder to grow crops, unless you find some work around (like a greenhouse). Its also better for the game, in terms of creating trade routes between towns in different biomes. Like POTs in desert climates (Vengeance) and POTs in wintry climates (Wizard's Rest). All, in all, I think these types of conditions create a richer game.

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Apart from the reasons for doing so (in the context of this thread).. I'm fine with all of this. Also I would add most plants do require sunlight. and I'm not inclined to have much in the way of agriculture boosting magic.

Edit: With the exception of certain types of containers.. I mean you wouldn't put your cache/mailbox inside your house.. but you wouldn't put a lot of high capacity containers outside.. realistically you wouldn't be able to keep them secure..

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

The real question is, are you enjoying the use of your hoe of prosperity?

6. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

With inns (already in game even if not setup for it), friend's rights, room renting, guild houses, camping, etc. there are plenty of ways to do it without being unfair for house owners. I do agree that I don't want there to be an in balance in favor of house owners, but currently there is with farming.

7. redfish

redfish Avatar

Nah.. we had this debate in threads a long long time ago, when this was more of a hot topic. Basically, my view is it takes a long time in the real world for someone to starve, and so should take a long time in the game before you really need to eat.

I think there are ways to implement it where it wouldn't be annoying at all. Players need to stop at towns anyway to sell things, to check their bank, to repair items. Once in a while, eating food would be part of that.

Anyway, if I thought it would make the game annoying to play, I wouldn't support it.

8. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Budner, Ice Queen and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  9. Black Orchid

Black Orchid Avatar

yeh you have point some exceptions would need to be made :)

10. redfish

redfish Avatar

Shrubbing skill tree

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

That's just maybe. Public gardens exist for a reason too. We don't know their capacity yet.

Ice Queen and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  12. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Good point. I tend to not think of the public gardens as they aren't in yet. That will be interesting to see how they do it.

Ice Queen likes this.
  13. Black Orchid

Black Orchid Avatar

:confused::)

Budner and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  14. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

We already see players using lots for Gustball arenas, PVP tourney locations, shrines, and more and more.

That players will want to use lots for farming is a given.

How will Rat's nest approach this?

15. redfish

redfish Avatar

Isn't Rat's Nest all row lots?

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

As a city composed entirely of row lots I'm guessing most farming will have to be done indoors. Food will just have to be imported. :)

17. redfish

redfish Avatar

Plus, there will be rats eating the stored food supplies! Which is why Rat's Nest is such a mean, squalid city, where only the tough survive!

18. Black Orchid

Black Orchid Avatar

Im wondering here what is the problem with owning a house being an advantage because unless you have pledged for one it takes alot of ingame time to pay for a lot and house so wouldn't you expect some advantage from that ? or even when pledging it has cost you for that pledge. This is the same has advantages with higher and lower pledges and founder/benefactor etc .

It would be good to say that everyone starts on a level playing field but that isn't the case. Its better than alot of games for it but still there.

19. Black Orchid

Black Orchid Avatar

Agree with you that was the point i was making . hunger is not in the game at moment . Just a little bit worried that if it is put in it might end up like the crafting to tricky and then i will be spending all my ingame time at the inn . hang on what am i saying sounds good to me :)

20. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Currently there is no advantage that helps you 'win' unless your definition of winning is having more bling that someone else. There is no 'power' to home ownership right now. Start giving people buffs and the like for having a home and suddenly there is some measure of power that a select few (relatively speaking) paid for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.