Shipwright -- (Dev) Replied

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by OrionSnake, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OrionSnake

OrionSnake Avatar

As the world evolves through the episodes, I envision the landmass will be broken into smaller islands. I hope to see shipwright as a crafting system and owning ship deeds.

2. Darkblade

Darkblade Avatar

If Shipwright is a profession, then only smaller canoes or rowboats should be sold by NPCs, if at all. This would allow the shipwrights to establish themselves on a construction and crafting market.

3. Knight Lord Pancake

Knight Lord Pancake Avatar

This would be a fantastic crafting opportunity. And making sure that the only place to get these ships would be crafters is a must to make the economy rich and diverse.

4. nonobadkitty

nonobadkitty Avatar

I would LOVE a shipwrighting skill, maybe in an extension of a carpentry skill tree or something? I'd also love to be able to build huge ships, which would require resources and help from many people to complete, maybe by hiring carpenters to help build it, which helps them gain skill to be able to learn the shipwrighting skill themselves so they can start their own ship.

5. The_Snark_Knight

The_Snark_Knight Avatar

Since there are going to be guilds it would make sense that players/groups can charter or own ships so making your own ships sounds perfectly logical.

6. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

The goals made it sound like ships would be a pre-charted travel thing, but I would love to see player shipwrights in the game (eventually). And realistic seamanship; you can't sail a ship with one player, you need a navigator, lookout, oarsmen, and riggers, not to mention the extra bodies you want to keep on hand in case of pirates. Or, you know, if you ARE the pirates.

7. Grimkor

Grimkor Avatar

Sounds like a great idea for episode 2

If not a separate profession then maybe tie it into the carpentry type skill? Or have it be a specialization of carpentry or something? Would be great for getting other professions involved, tailors need to make sails, blacksmiths need to make fittings.

The ships could then be used for transportation or for fishing, maybe houseboats?

8. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

@ Grimkor

I like this Idea.

Throw in a trade embargo on one of the unique material's and make it contraband :)

9. Valandur

Valandur Avatar

The goals made it sound like ships would be a pre-charted travel thing, but I would love to see player shipwrights in the game (eventually). And realistic seamanship; you can?t sail a ship with one player, you need a navigator, lookout, oarsmen, and riggers, not to mention the extra bodies you want to keep on hand in case of pirates. Or, you know, if you ARE the pirates.

___________________________________Quote__________________________________

I believe LB touched on this during yesterday's Dev Hangout. IIRC he said that they have plans for unmanned transport ships that run on a schedule now, but he seemed open to the idea of adding player sailed ships to the game. I certainly hope they do! I really want a house boat that I can sail around fishing and looking for loot.

10. Knight Lord Pancake

Knight Lord Pancake Avatar

Epidode I will not have player navigated ships. But it does seem like the are a very real possibility in later episodes.

11. Bzus

Bzus Design Lord SOTA Developer

Good idea for future episodes. We are focusing on core mechanics first.

12. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Actually this would be a really good idea for episode 2 because from what I understand most (if not all) carpentry goods are going to be hard goods (ie your house furniture doesn't break) which is going to leave some very bored carpenters by the end of episode 1 when everyone has gotten there house the way they want it. Ships could decay like weapons and so need you to build more of them and repair them constantly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.