Should there be a game setting to auto listen to any turned on Aether Amplifier?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TEK, Apr 19, 2015.

?

Should there be a game setting to auto listen to any turned on Aether Amplifier?

1. Yes!

23 vote(s)
    76.7%
  2. No!

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

I believe that there should be a optional game setting to turn on so that if I walk up to a Aether Amplifier radio that is turned on by another player, I will automatically hear that 3d sound generated as I come into range of the radio. I shouldn't have to also walk to the radio and turn it on for myself...game setting optional of course. This will help a lot attract a lot events and gatherings for random players to happen upon and really help with the immersion of the game, if a player chooses to turn that setting on. Do you agree or disagree?

Bow Vale, Themo Lock, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  2. Gypsy Lou

Gypsy Lou Avatar

Can you explain in some detail what an Aether Amplifier does? No idea here.

3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It's a radio. :) There's actually a group of players who broadcast a live stream into the game.

4. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

The Aether Amplifier is a wonderful piece of code, developed by Bubonic and Joviex (community members) - it is an ITEM, a pledge reward for certain pledge levels and upwards. It looks like an old-fashioned valve radio, you can sit it on a table, bookshelf, anywhere.

And if you click on it you will hear the output from Avatars Radio. Which is super cool, as Avatars Radio commentates on many functions (brawls, tournaments etc) and is used for the audio stream for in-game plays.

If there is one in your vicinity, just click on it to hear the output. If you do not have one, you can get the same result by pointing your browser to http://www.streamlicensing.com/play/player.php?sid=3502&stream_id=6432

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Wow.. a simple yes/no pole.. that alone deserves a vote. I dislike it when people make poles and write the options the make it sound like you're a dweeb if you disagree with the OP.

At any rate.. yes this should be an option. It only makes sense that you hear things that are making noise. The only reason to not hear this particular item is for guys like me who suffer from bandwidth issues or for those who feel it's too intrusive.

6. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

One thing to consider is people might hide them on their lots in places you can't access to turn them off, so if you can 'auto on' it should be a toggle in the game menu for these situations.

licemeat likes this.
  7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

In which case line of sight and path finding should also determine their range.

FrostII and Miracle Dragon like this.
  8. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

Exactly, line of sight and and within range with a turned on radio should be sufficient.

FrostII and Miracle Dragon like this.
  9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

[​IMG][​IMG]

The radio turned on with lights and off with lights out. I love the look of it.:)

10. Whitestag

Whitestag Avatar

It would be nice if owners of the radio by line command or another means be able to install their own urls for music by the genre they wish to hear.

The music range should be tied to lot area, permission by lot owner.

Installed permanent streams can be accessed from any radio by default or selection, owners of radios could still over ride and listen to what ever music they wished to by line command url input.

This can be tied in with the lot owner tag and if rented out, music selection can be requested to owner and they can plug it in for renter.

Just some suggestions 8 }

The Cult Leader and FrostII like this.
  11. Miracle Dragon

For now, the limitation in station choice is per client. So if you set one radio to a station, all radios you pass by will play that station for you, and at the same time, other people could be listening to a different station from the same radio.
    I like your idea, of having stations set by the radio owner, for each specific radio. Maybe that code will be written someday. ;-)

FrostII likes this.
  12. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Pointing to a URL is one thing - being somewhat "held responsible" for what's on the other end - is another thing entirely.

That is not to say that it wouldn't be an incredible addition, just one that probably isn't "in the cards"......... :(

However, the next best thing ( actually, maybe the best thing ) is that we may be on our way to supporting the ABC music system, which would allow us to play instruments ingame with songs that we choose (if I read those threads correctly)....

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Question is.. would there ever be more than one station?

14. Miracle Dragon

There would have to be more than one. Otherwise, Portalarium would become liable for what plays on the 'only station'. Having the radio in the game, I believe, is only possible as long as players have a choice of what to listen to on them. I've heard the code supports this choice, it's just a URL selection, so we're just waiting for the 'radio GUI' so to speak. I bet Port will eventually have an 'in-house' station that rotates through in-game music, as a default/fail-safe option.

15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

So in other words, you're suggesting the likelihood that anyone who owns the radio can point it to whatever online station they want to listen to. I guess I could see that. Although that gives me mixed feelings.

Avatar's Radio is could arguably be actual avatar's who have figured out how to make the tech work in New Britannia.. and as such are broadcasting from somewhere in Novia.. but as soon as we start listening to stations from home town Earth, believability goes out the window. I would quickly find myself from wanting to hear radios because they're on.. to not wanting to hear them because they shouldn't be able to receive signals from other worlds. Whole thing goes pretty darn cool to pretty darn annoying.

16. Miracle Dragon

Hmm.. that's a good point. If the radio were limited to just Avatar's Radio, I guess the station would have to limit its broadcasting to only in-game/community created content. Perhaps that will be possible (if there will be enough content) by launch. :-D

17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Personally I would listen to events and 'news'.

One Zero and Miracle Dragon like this.
  18. Whitestag

Whitestag Avatar

The tech has been out for 10+ yrs that allow a lot to have its own music url, if on that lot you hear that url. Selection made by owner of said lot. The url can be plugged into a lot control menu or a owner placed radio. The placement in the radio just allows for easy selection and saving of urls vs having to manually type url into menu.

This would allow the use of any private stream and or web url. Really its a nice option because you actually can do it anyway by browser selection.

I have never heard of any legal issues from private music selection in a game, and a simple TOS change putting the responsibility into the hands of the owner should take care of that, but in 25+ yrs of gaming I have never heard of any issues although there might have been some somewhere. Running 500+ lots all with separate radio url inputs by different owners with this ability for yrs, I never had any complaints or issues. Again music was only heard on the lot itself.

19. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

Well I personally wouldn't regulate it to the lot itself. It would be 3d sound the extends out from where ever the radio is located. On or off a private lot. I just want an optional game setting to automatically hear a radio that another player has turned on within hearing distance.

20. Whitestag

Whitestag Avatar

You would but in the setup I mention it would be restricted to lot, you have have to be on that lot to hear that music url it would not matter if you had a radio or not. The music would be on that lot set by the owner of the lot.

The only reason I think this is a better way to go is that it provides the owner with unlimited music genre selections. ( As in a bar playing cheerful music or a pvp guild lot playing dark metal music)

From what i gather on what you said above, the music you will hear will be be crossover as in you will hear 2 or more music urls playing at the same time depending on range and lot owner selections. Think row lots in a city Oo. You could be hearing 4+ stations at the same time depending on set range, that is unless the urls are all the same. This can only be prevented by lot range restriction or urls that are available restriction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.