Show appropriate weather as the seasons change in game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anpu, May 28, 2019.

?

Would you like to see seasonal changes in weather in game, like snow in Winter?

1. Yes!!!!

83.3%
  2. No!

10.0%
  3. Give me an option so turn this off or on!

6.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

The only problem I see with this is that time travels much faster in game than IRL - Without weather its tolerable but I think the seasons might change too quickly? ~45 minutes or something (48?) is 24 "in game" hours.

Every 3 days it changes seasons? Kinda weird.

EDIT: I suppose the fix to this, is to just extend the duration of the seasons and then rationalize it as the planet Novia is on belongs in a solar system which behaves much differently than our own ;)

*shrug*

Bedawyn, Astirian, Gia2 and 2 others like this.
  2. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

[​IMG]

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

I agree with make the weather seasonal....BUT...it should only pertain to regions that would /should allow it. I dont see a swamp/desert or tropical island having snow. So to me this should be up to POT owners. Regular scenes that are designed for snow works fine. But needs some more thought on how to implement it

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:rolleyes: There's a really good thing, POT owner's option of seasons or no seasons. I think it would present a challenge for our programmers, though it would be nice. In a place like Wizards Rest (snowy bio-nome)... "how does one turn a frozen lake into one that's seasonably usable?"
    A frozen swamp may be difficult to program. Other than the sky-fall of any weather, I don't think we could pull off any realism with it.

The snow could never stick and the lakes never freeze or become thawed, unless there's some serious programming effort involved.
    Thinking SOTA realistically, seasonal ground effects would be a must for any seasonal weather to come off as something real.

The rainy season however for everything but the POTs I think can be done.
    ~Time Lord~

5. redfish

redfish Avatar

It would have to be more regional, though, but generally speaking yes.

I would eventually like to see them get serious about regional weather and also showing regional weather events on the overland map, along the lines that has been suggested before; with features like low clouds, fog, and even dust storms, but only appearing when you have that kind of weather in the area. Then, you could also have things like the grass and trees changing color from greens to browns during certain seasons. Wild flowers could also appear in deserts during certain seasons, and otherwise be hidden.

I also miss the heavy fog that used to be a more common weather event in game. That's honestly they could make more regional, too. Right now, you have some areas that last I visited seemed like they were perma-fog, and some areas on the map which are also perma-fog. But you can have some areas where heavy fog is common, but dissipates; other areas where light fog is somewhat common; other areas where you never or rarely have fog at all. The seasonal changes in the scenes would be reflected in changes in the map, with the fog rolling in on the map when its visible in the scenes. And you can also have things like morning mist in forests. Then, time the encounters by day and season, so for instance, wolves come out in dusk hours, and bears come out commonly in the morning mist.

Next thing they would do is then link weather to magic, so rain has sympathies and antipathies with schools of magic.

Lots of really cool things you can do in this area that would make the game really impressive and attract players and get them to stay. I wish devs would pay attention to this as an aspect of immersive gameplay, because the game world is pretty much built for this.

Bedawyn, Astirian and Time Lord like this.
  6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]

Thinking deeper... our weather may be better when linked to our planets passing overhead, because this isn't Earth and thus should be effected through it's own planetary attitude along with it's moons. ~TL~

7. redfish

redfish Avatar

Everything in the game linked to astrology ! The stars rule everything ! But at the same time, weather and astrology could have different and overlapping effects on magic. For example, I always thought it would be cool if moon magic were effected by major cosmological events.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

We have a wonderful sky, yet "everything" isn't linked to it, though I wish it were. The planets are very important to the Cabalists, the Sun is to fishing and... isn't it just "the night time" (or it could be said to be linked with the anti-sunshine Sun position, 90-270 degrees.) which currently effects moon magic? Our crafting isn't linked to any of it and I think we still suffer from not having weapons skills linked to the planets.

I believe such things are important to become linked because it's an awful waist of a great sky if we don't link it all, as well as providing an ebb and flow to our world's inhabitants (us). In our real world the "music of the spheres" in the Neoplatonic tradition, planetary distance ratios have influenced musical compositions at times.

Then there is the tradition of the Muses from Renaissance history.
    Sphere-Muse name-Muses association;

• Saturn-Polyhymnia-Mimic arts
    • Jupiter-Euterpe- Flautic art
    • Mars-Erato-Lyric poetry (hymns)
    • Sun-Melpomene-Tragedy
    • Venus-Terpsichore-Lyric poetry (dance)
    • Mercury-Calliope-Heroic epic
    • Moon-Clio-History
    :rolleyes: Those are just some examples from actual Renaissance history. Personally I think this list's creator was on drugs when he made it, but that's the basic idea here to "link everything because of something in the game". It's never been fully embraced within our game, though I wish it were, because it would better reflect sympathy in symphony which is much more deeply immersive than we currently have. That is to say that things and actual people/player events would become a bit predictable, being in harmony with each other within our planets effects. Ritual Magic could then be realized in a real unexpected computer programmed way, totally unintended by the programmers themselves. For example, during certain enhanced times of any particular magical school's optimal prime, a +1 added enhancement given by planets in sync could draw players of like schools of magic together forming a super-power-party with as little as another +1 for having had them all in the same party with such magical abilities.

o_O But of course our programmers haven't fully embraced our sky as the greatest and easiest thing we could ever do for our world which would cause it to be unique in the gaming world... and dare I say... "more attractive to players through it's game-play and player behavior enticements".

Everything great in our real world depends on harmonized timing or actions and events.
    How this :rolleyes: most basic principle of everything escapes the minds of such brilliant programmers such as ours doth drive me into madness :confused:~Time Lord~

Last edited: May 30, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.