Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Shroud of the Mining: Seriously, why do we need it for everything?

Discussion in 'Release 32 Feedback Forum' started by Waxillium, Aug 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

You need mining for:

Masterwork Blade
    Masterwork Plate
    Masterwork Shield
    Masterwork Chain
    Masterwork Bludgeon
    Masterwork Polearm
    Masterwork Ranged
    Masterwork Leather
    Masterwork Cloth
    Alchemy
    Taming

Seems incredibly out of balance.

Why can't carpenters make items that they can use to master work carpentry? The Borers?
    Why can't tailors make items that they can use to master work tailoring? The Cutworm?
    Why can't alchemists use the numerous gems we have instead of silver?

Mining really dominates this game at present.

@RichardGarriott @DarkStarr @Chris

2. bwtdozer

bwtdozer Avatar

My guess is it was easier and quicker to focus on one set of skills to get Masterwork up and running for final wipe. Hopefully the other skills will get some more love as release keep coming. Intricate leather work for masterwork leather goods, intracate fabric work (lace, etc) for cloth armors. Even intricate masterwork carvings or embelishments to be added to furniture to make them more unique in appearance but doesn't add stats. All this and more is what i would like to see

3. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Agreed!

I understand the crossing over of materials but not total dominance.

Whyterose Flowers likes this.
  4. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

it does seem like tailors should not have to know how to dig rocks out of a mine in order to make clothes.

5. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

No, you don't. You need silver ingots, there is no need for you to be making those yourself.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  6. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Don't pretend like this is a balance plan.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  7. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

Save your rare drops as crafting is still in development

Fister Magee likes this.
  8. bwtdozer

bwtdozer Avatar

True this game is a player driven economy which means tailor x needs things from blacksmith y if they can't/don't want to make it themselves. but at this point and time its is heavily weighted towards mining, so if your more interested in crafting to make gold rather than crafting what you like to craft than mining is definetly going to be the money maker to begin with. With time I think a balance will be reached. The devs needed to get a form of masterwork into the game before final wipe and being based on mining was the easiest and fastest path. I think in time the other crafting fields will get some love to masterworks.

9. agra

agra Avatar

It's not even slightly balanced. And even more so when you realize there's less than 50 (or, for certain, less than 100) silver nodes, game wide.
    And there's no metal scraps recipe for ingots.
    And taming requires a minimum of 2000 ore per tamer, to get even close to pets that you might use by the time you can get into the silver mines (~level 60, unless you exploit your way)

But, what you'll see in response is: This is working as intended because (insert smug player name here) _they_ figured out how to game the system and get access to unlimited silver, so what's YOUR problem? ;)

And of course the best part was when all the guarding creatures were made to be Adventure Level 60, which is higher than common shardfall mobs. So yeah..

And paying 100, 200, 500, or 1000 per silver ore, like the public vendors have? haha. sure.

Short version: It's all terribly ridiculous.

Whyterose Flowers likes this.
  10. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

You can cut gems, then install them in weapons and armor.

In Blacksmithing many items require crossover, wood for axe, hammer, mace handles, leather straps for some armors... alchemy for enchanting and installing gems.

Not true, have you been in the mines? they are instance based not world based as of last release... to my understanding that hasn't changed... the quantity isn't as limited as you suggest... supply and demand is altered by player participation in mining those ores or crafting items, not limited by the number of game nodes... which to my understanding would be unlimited in number. They are only limited to the time it takes to mine the ores and reset the nodes (and creatures).

At present anyone can mine any ore at starting level... You are only restricted in getting access to those ores by your ability to defeat the creatures near those ores. Get some friends go kick some monster butt and mine the silver or gold you want.

BTW if you set mining skill to not train but hold steady you won't waste points there better spent elsewhere.

Fister Magee likes this.
  11. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

They all require crossover, that's not the problem. Having all mastercrafts controlled by one gathering skill is the issue.

agra and enderandrew like this.
  12. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Absolutely true and I'm a miner.

4EverLost and Kvow Triumvir like this.
  13. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

I agree with OP but would like to add that I got 300 silver ores day 2 playing so they aren't that rare

edit @agra

4EverLost likes this.
  14. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I have no problem with mining being integrated with the rest of the economy. But the other crafting skills should work the same way. I believe long term that's the plan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.