Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Silver and Gold. Mining superiority

Discussion in 'Release 31 Feedback Forum' started by Arkah EMPstrike, Jul 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Right now everything in the game thats craftable uses silver and/or gold to enhance it, and in almsot staggering quantity.

Seems like this makes Mining far superior and in much much more demand than other gathering skills

2. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I share this feeling. There should be much more 'cross-use' of ingridents if it comes to enhancement.
    But I think this will happen in a later pass of the crafting System.

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Right now, it does.

But let's say for a moment that the devs begin to require 3 times more reagents to cast spells while also raising the consumption rate? (two things I think they should do)

Let's also imagine that more recipes come online that require Black Cutworm and other resources that currently have very little use.

Finally let's say that gold and silver ore become much heavier, and as a result gold and silver ingots become much heavier?

There are all kinds of ways that the economy will probably change over the coming months. I suspect that by final wipe all of these things will have happened, as well as many other things that we can't even begin to imagine. Because frankly the economy is in complete shambles at the moment.

Ideally, I think the devs should move to a zero sum economy where the more you take out in resources the less you have. They could also think about removing all these NPC merchants and giving players the ability to craft basic supplies like coal and feathers, etc..

4. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

You can gather feathers from chickens i thought, and i stumbled across a coal node the other day.

But i had forgotted about the black cutworms and borer beetles that still have no use yet. Your right that its likely these4 will come online int hat fashion soon

5. Drocis the Devious

If NPC merchants are selling that stuff, that's where players will go. They need to get rid of all the NPC merchants. It's bad for the player economy. It makes sense to have it now with a low player population, but its purpose has been served. If they want to keep the NPC merchants there to buy junk and act as gold sinks, ok. I'd rather they weren't doing that either though.

6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I think the NPC vendor should stick around as gold sinks, and also to sell basic stuff. EvE's market was almost entirely player driven, right down to every resource and even ammunition. I think basic blueprints were the only thing on the market not player made. But thier gathering and crafting system was also a "set it and forget it" style that made it easy to mass produce stuff. I dont think they want to do that here so there need to be some basic thigns available on NPCs to compensate

7. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

Do you remember where you came across the coal node?

8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Could you explain what you mean by "the more you take out in resources the less you have" ?

9. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

An fyi.... If you're looking for coal nodes, they're like Sulfurous Ash - they spawn on the ground, not on rock faces.
    And they look a bit like a large pile of bear poop currently. ;)

Duke Gréagóir and Elnoth like this.
  10. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

There's a coal node in Ulfheim. It's near the entrance to the cave like area in the bear patriarch part of the scene.

Duke Gréagóir and Elnoth like this.
  11. agra

agra Avatar

Can't have irreparable item damage and then leave gathering punitive. That's just a recipe for players to walk away once they realize what's going on. With dozens or hundreds of other games, if you actually want customer retention, you can't beat them with the stick all day long. At some point, you need to give them a carrot.

Snikorts likes this.
  12. Drocis the Devious

Sure. I'm talking about an economy where all of the base resources are capped. So if a large guild (for example) goes out and mines all the gold, there simply won't be anymore gold for people to mine. The game doesn't "create" gold ore out of thin air. It's a zero sum economy that allows supply and demand to manage it. It doesn't use developers "getting around to it" or "waking up on a holiday weekend and putting it off until Monday to fix". :)

The economy continuously self corrects. I realize this isn't as simple as just putting X gold ore into the game and walking away, there's still management from the devs that would go on...like getting the ratio of gold ore correct to the player base, and then finding a way to make gold "return" to the mines and not let people (for example a large guild) hoard it all. But it seems like a much better way to prevent inflation and deflation that happens in other MMO's.

13. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

All resources respawn at specific intervals currently.
    I see no way to selectively control how many resources a single Avatar or a guild can pull from any given scene. Besides, if a guild "moves thru" an area and cleans out all the wood or ore or whatever - then they're probably going to move on to another area and do the same. The scene that they just cleaned out will respawn soon and then anyone can go harvest there and get the same yields as what the guild was getting. (assuming all things equal, like skill level, etc.)
    Other than in a Shardfall, there is no way for a guild to control any resource area.

14. Drocis the Devious

I was talking about my ideal economy. I agree that with the current mechanics it will not work that way.

15. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

I keep on seeing quotes similar to this and I get the feeling that many are going to be disappointed when the wipe happens and not all is as complete/polished as they imagined/anticipated.
    Economy and stuff of the like is something that takes time to adjust and they have not even finished adding all the crafting stuff yet. There is a ton of stuff to do and in 21 days we can be sure that not all is going to make it for the final wipe. ( That's for sure )

16. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Ok, I suppose I would agree (maybe) to limited resources - but at this stage I see no way to implement anything like that without a complete overhaul.
    And we sure don't need that.

17. Drocis the Devious

I won't be disappointed if these things don't happen specifically, or if none of them are done before final wipe. I was saying that I wouldn't be surprised because I think these would be easy to accomplish in a short period of time. I might be wrong.

18. Drocis the Devious

Yeah, we'd need a complete overhaul for sure. I don't know that we don't need it or not. Time will tell. I feel a lot better about the economy being fixed over time than I do other systems.

19. Xander Xavier

Xander Xavier Avatar

I would rather see them used as middlemen for the player driven economy. While spawning very limited inventory they would act as central markets for buying and selling player made goods.

20. Drocis the Devious

Yeah, about that. What we really need is for players to have central markets. Here's one way it could work...

Player Vendors are put on a schedule, they walk from your home to the central market to sell goods collectively in one large location. This costs a "tax" that is collected by the game. There are limited spots available in the central market but all players living in the town get an equal opportunity to put their vendor there because each new week requires a manual instruction to your vendor to go there and the same player vendors can not go two weeks in a row. If the town market is set up in a POT, the governor of the POT can set the tax at whatever rate they like, but the game still collects at the same rate and gets its cut first. Meaning if the normal tax rate is 2% and the POT owner increases that by 3%, then the first 2% goes to the game and the next 3% goes to the POT owner.

Player Vendors in the market place go back home after the day is over. Players visiting the market place would have one central place to get tons of shopping done, but could still venture out into the town to see what other shops had to offer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.