Sneaked in Patch: lower skill gain per click

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2112Starman, Oct 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dwalin Bombardin

Dwalin Bombardin Avatar

can any dev please confirm this? so grindy already...

2. Pariah007

Pariah007 Avatar

I think it isn't fair that the change was introduced without any warning. Sure you'll have current GMs come in and say "hey good idea slow it down".

However for some of us, that line of thinking doesn't apply. I have been collecting crafting xp and silver ore for a month and was waiting til I hit 2m before starting to masterwork. Well now to get the same gain I need 8million xp.

The gold cost w the same xp pool is 4x. This was an overnight change. I'd say that's a pretty 'uuuuuuge "change" also known as a "balancing nerf".

Do the right thing, make SOTA great again...
    Thank you very much

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    Snikorts likes this.
  3. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

It wasn't for any of those reasons, if you bothered to read Chris' post.

Pro tip: It's in this thread

Although, it is definitely an odd mechanism for skill gain. Hoarding = efficiency

4. Bamboozle

Bamboozle Avatar

@Chris can you please confirm what the max is for adventure xp transfer and for crafting xp transfer? Just wondering what pool to maintain to get larger gains per skill use

5. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

XP was consumed at 4x the rate. It's all the same XP, it just took fewer actions for it to get absorbed into skills. And this resulted in the pool being drained too fast for those who aren't actively managing their pool.

If you simply accumulate a 4X bigger pool, it should have the same effect. Unless the cap on total absorbed XP was also changed (Chris only said he changed the rate, not the cap), a larger pool will still be able to absorb the same amount of XP.

...and the change has absolutely nothing to do with adventurer level.

Fister Magee likes this.
  6. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

They key to kinda realize here is that now you can have 4x more skills active and raising at one time now.

I kinda feel like this move also dumbed down the ride from say adv lvl 1 to 40 since now people really dont have to manage their skill gains like before. But maybe this is a good thing, I haven't played games like this in a long time and it really does feel like the user base has really been watered down. People just cant deal with complex games any longer.... everything has to be easy mode. It's the Wow (Warcraft) and COD (Call of Duty) generation of gamers.

Elwyn likes this.
  7. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

This really should not change much if I am understanding it correctly.

For skills I use 4/10ths of 1% of my current pool was applied with each use/Tick. My pool was generally small at around 4K. So 16 points applied per tick

Now with the change my pool is a lot larger than before but if my pool now balances out to 16k I am going to be getting 1/10 of 1% of my current pool which is 16 points.

As for the power gamers that build the millions of XP then apply them to a single skill, yes you will need to build up 4x the exp pool to recover the same points per tick.

Please correct me if my math is wrong. Or if I am missing something in my understanding.

8. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I pass on easy mode games, I dont need or what thebgame master to hold my hand and protect me from me.

9. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Sorta, some skills require items so in the case of say masterworking and chanting ull need 4x the silver ore..

But I still think this was much needed. The game felt broke in the 2nd month /w casual play time....

Lord Baldrith and Fister Magee like this.
  10. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

But in this system you could go gather resources until you crafting pool is four times larger. Then each tick is applying more exp and costing less resouces.

Elwyn likes this.
  11. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Ehh? If thats true I must have read chris's post wrong.. its not working for my adventure pool are you suggesting is a crafting only change?

Edit: also thats how it usto work, you have me confused..

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  12. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Well, game was really fun while it lasted.
    I too would rather you just leave skill decay out, or put it all the way -in-
    As if the grind wasn't bad enough, now we have to do it more and more and more just to keep what we've already earned?
    So go on then, turn it on - At least then I can see how bad it is and if I'm going to invest any more time/money in this game or not.

Fister Magee likes this.
  13. Rasp

Rasp Avatar

Wait. Give it until R35 at least. My deaths are up ten fold due to the combat nerfs. I'm totally restructuring my skill set and equipment to deal with it. Of course this is taking a bit longer thanks to the removal of this 4x modifier. I'm already knocked on my ass, you don't have to kick me in the stones too.

FrostII likes this.
  14. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Chris
    When you do turn on skill decay, I hope you have it kick in at GM level and no lower.
    Don't put further deterrents in the way of the new and average players.

15. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I'm absolutely sure that decay effects skills exponentially as they get higher so that new people or lower level people would barely be effected. Id even bet that any skill <60 barely gets touched at all.

Elwyn and Fister Magee like this.
  16. Bamboozle

Bamboozle Avatar

So does anybody know the new cap on how adventure and crafting xp transfer?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.