Social XP & Skills?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Bowen Bloodgood, Sep 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Now that we have a new use-based skill system and that skill gains are now hidden, it suddenly struck me that the idea of social XP & skills might be a little more feasible in the long term than the last time the subject came up.

So rather than resurrecting an old thread I thought it would be better or more interesting to start a new one.

So.. in the context of the new use-based system. Social XP.. being XP gained from social related skills or quests.. or somehow, in some way awarded through events.. gets stored in an invisible XP pool in the same way as adventure and craft XP. Then applied to social / performance skills.

The kind of skills I would envision (and understanding here ALL of this is beyond EP1).. include dancing.. juggling.. instruments, acrobatics/tumbling.. gambling? etc.

The tricky part is what exactly would award social XP? Or could it be derived somehow from the other XP pools? Like how in the old system if you leveled up in adventuring you got two skill points in crafting. If it followed that kind of concept your social XP would gradually rise so long as you were gaining XP in one of the other two pools.

2. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I like the idea of Social xp. It could be awarded for quests that help people or for good deeds like giving food or gold to the needy. Quests like helping the woman in Soltown find her daughter or carrying messages back and forth from Bodan Koren in Braemar to Kelly the bandit could carry a lot of exp but be non-repeatable. Spontaneous good deds like giving money to a beggar could carry less exp but be repeatable (but not in the same game session).

3. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Meh, that'd just be min-maxed like any other XP source. It'd be much cooler if you accumulated social XP slowly, but couldn't spend it yourself, but could grant it to others which would make it spendable. Add some protections limiting the amount that any two players could exchange in a 24 hour period and make everything "cosmetic" (non-PVE/PVP at least) and you could have an interesting system.

helm and Kara Brae like this.
  4. Headquake

Headquake Avatar

Maybe ''as social xp'' that could be great if after a little time adventuring in the wild. You can just go in a tavern look at another player ( dancer , jungler , etcc...) or play some game versus other players like : chess , gambling dice , card game or go drink a beer and eating good food( craft by player ) and make social whith the other avatars in the tavern. And after a little time doing this , you gain a small buff that make you gain a little bit more quickly crafting or adventuring xp. Cause your avatar is now relax , feel happy etc... ;)

And that would be great for one thing. Tavern will be full of people all the time , making social , having fun.

5. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I'm still all about getting Social XP added to the game!

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I think I like the idea of a social buff but I think you'd need to be careful how it's implemented. Just going in a tavern and doing nothing.. or spamming to appear active shouldn't do much and I wouldn't want to encourage that. But a buff from social activity that helps you get or use XP sounds interesting.

Ravicus Domdred and Headquake like this.
  7. Headquake

Headquake Avatar

Totally agree whith you on that ! It's true that we don't wanna a see a tavern full of ''semi afk'' player just waiting for a buff. So that could be all little bit ''tricky''' to implent. But if done well that could be so great !

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    Siriustar and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  8. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

It would be nice if they implemented some type of charisma or persuasion skill to influence some npc responses... But I don't see how they could make it work with this current typed/keyword system. Would be cool to have though, maybe some important npc's won't talk to you unless you have a minimum score, to prevent newbs from grabbing the high-level quests too soon or something.

9. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

So who gets social xp? Those that participate in the chosen groups xp events? This seems like a way to get certain groups that get favor in game.

10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

There are a few ways to do it.. taking a queue from Elder Scrolls for example.. a particular skill score could trigger availability of certain quests much like a relationship score. There's also custom dialogue for select significant NPCs.. another possibility would require a lot more work on dialogue but as I understand the current system.. they can define basic group / faction dialogue also for any NPC belonging to a particular group/faction. All guards for example.. how they say 'move along' is probably part of their 'guard dialogue package'. Each package could have relationship/skill based dialogue. Unfortunately, that would mean someone would have write it but it wouldn't be technically difficult.

Well if they went with my idea that social XP be derived from the other XP pools then that wouldn't be an issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.