Soft Wipe for Episode #2 ? ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Weins201, Mar 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

How about 2 storyline quests of escalating difficulty for new players and 1 new for existing players.
    The alternative being making players repeat the efforts they've already done doesn't make any sense whatsoever. It's a completely unnecessary way to p*** people off.
    This isn't self interest, my most advanced alt is AL75ish. It's just a silly idea.

2. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

One crucial question is what is the monetary worth of each player starting in an Episode 2 environment.

Redhammer likes this.
  3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I've been thinking about it and this is the only way that I could accept it: once I have completed the episode 2 story, my avatar's skills and levels are fully restored. So, in essence, its just a temporary wipe.

@Chris

[edit] Maybe level caps could be used and raised appropriately at each stage of the main questline.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    jmcclain, Olddog, Redhammer and 3 others like this.
  4. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

I hate the idea of a wipe en general in an mmo but if we have to have one then the cap on the per hour exp rate needs to go. Even at double speed another 3k hours of grinding just to get back to what I already had is unappealing. I would much rather they make it easier for the new players to catch up then to cut off all our progressions. The entire idea of a soft wipe has already had the effect of me lowering the amount of time I'm playing the game now cause why bother putting in the time if it's just going to get taken away.

5. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

They seem to think episode 2 is going to get them new customers. I don't understand where that idea comes from and why new customers are tied to the new episode.

Polish off the content you have and introduce players to that rather than half finished episode two stuff for the next five years.

By Tor, Vaiden Luro, Olddog and 11 others like this.
  6. Floors

Floors Avatar

That might work to solve the problem and keep everyone happy. But we are still gonna need END LEVEL content at the end in a Happy Hunting Ground scenario regardless.

Redhammer likes this.
  7. Floors

Floors Avatar

Well it kind of has to. We can't stay on the current userbase forever, might as well hang it up otherwise. Which might could happen regardless depending on how it all goes. Even I think Ep 5 is a stretch.

Elwyn likes this.
  8. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

My problem has always been the over promise and under deliver because promises do keep them money coming in. However, episode one is not a fun game or even a done game. So this idea that episode two is going to somehow magically turn things around comes across as just another promise to keep people chasing the dream.

Olddog, Greyfox, Diedrich and 7 others like this.
  9. Floors

Floors Avatar

I don't disagree that episode one is "done" but I'm done with it since i beat it in 2018 and many people beat it in 2017.

So we gotta move on...... It wasn't particularly noteworthy anyway IMO, perhaps EP 2 can right those wrongs.

I don't think spending more time polishing the deck chairs on the titanic (EP1) makes a ton of sense either, 5 years into development.

Learn from the mistakes, use the current platform to make a new game with issues fixed.

10. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

@atos @Chris you guys already decided online over single player approach. You CANNOT now decide to do Ultima new episodes soft wipe over Ultima online expansion packs approach with NO WIPE of abilities.

Stay the course you picked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No choosing now!!!!!!!!!!

You guys picked ONLINE!!!!!!!!!!!

@DarkStarr

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  11. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

This is a good point that I did not consider.

Violette Dyonisys and Redhammer like this.
  12. Dyonisys

Dyonisys Avatar

I never thought they would ever think of this way to launch ep2 this is .... well no word to describe how I see it. Why in the hell will you ever want to play and progress in a game where next ep will brg you back to starting point...

And what about xp pool... if in ep1 you still keep all progress, and go grind the ep2, will the xp in ep2 will be added also to ep1 char? Or do when you grind ep2 your char do not progress in ep1...

Damn I really wish it don't go this way, even tho I have all the faith in this game and love it, I may though about turning away and find a new game...

I'll continue my journey in novia waiting to see where it leads and when if it confirm ... well...

Bjorn Dyonisys

Zurthock, Olddog, K1000 and 3 others like this.
  13. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Agree in some ways, but totally throwing out ep1 is not a good idea either. There is a ton of content and much of it is good. That's an asset that a new player can spend thousands of hours in.

I would lean heavily toward ep2 being tier 10+ except for one thing, ml that requires that the quest improvements be worked in retroactively for ep1.

I know that's a big task but it should be done anyway. Walking away from it basically flushes a huge quantities of ganeplay.

Plus, despite the promise of it being 2x bigger ep2 will not be. It's going to be tight and filling it with a bunch of tier 1 content makes it so there won't be much high tier content.

Bedawyn and Floors like this.
  14. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

If this is the case I’m done with sota, from this point forward I’ll not spend another dime on it.

15. Dyonisys

Dyonisys Avatar

+1

16. Floors

Floors Avatar

I think everyone needs to relax a little bit and not jump to conclusions. It was one thing that was kind of thrown out that wasn't even set in stone.

And it was probably about not having to have 50,000 hitpoint spider queens in every scene, and being able to bring new players into that new story.

17. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Idk what was said but I do know I’ve too much invested in my characters to even things about starting over. I played 2014-2016 I’ve already had enough wipes for one game.

18. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

This game definitely needs some sort of reset eventually whether by obsoleting everything in the game like most games do with expansions or an actual reset of player characters but eps 2 is too early.

When all the major systems like quest combat crafting etc and the overall game experience is solid, that's probably when I would try to build up a lot of hype and go for it.

They hinted of big changes coming for eps 2.

These would have to be pretty spectacular otherwise you are just forcing everyone to re-level basically to test the new improvements.

19. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

And what about housing? PoT? People who invested huge city lots? I think there is more to this story than they're letting on at this time.

Redhammer likes this.
  20. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

they said houses and store bought items / decorations are fine.

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.