Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

SOTA consumes a massive amount of GPU

Discussion in 'Critical Issues (Blockers, Performance, Crashes)' started by Mishikal, Aug 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

When idle, SOTA consumes a massive amount of GPU cycles if you are logged into the game. In this instance, I'm sitting at the entrance to The Rise, so decorations shouldn't be an issue. I'm also in private mode. Really, it doesn't matter where I'm at -- The GPU usage is always insanely high.

[​IMG]

08/21/2018 15:50
    Steps to Reproduce: Start SOTA. Log in. Stand still. Pull up a process monitor.
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8) System RAM: 32705
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 GPU RAM: 4053
    SotA.QA.Win.64.726.Date.08.21.18
    Area: The Rise
    Area Display Name: The Rise
    Loc: (110.4, 20.0, 80.0)
    Debug: VGhlIFJpc2V8fCgxMTAuMzczLCAyMC4wMDcsIDgwLjA0Nyl8KDAsIC0wLjcwNywgMCwgMC43MDcpfDI3MC4wMDAyfDEwfDIuNzkxNzQ3

Echondas and the Lacedaemonian like this.
  2. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

That's way lower than mine. I'm using an RX480 8gig card and I was averaging probably around 65%, though it was only using around 2gigs of VRAM. It looks like you have 2 instances of SOTA up also, if thats what the (2) means in Win. In addition, the game was using around 8.1g mem after about 1/2 hour. This was also in The Rise.

3. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Just the one instance of SOTA. The (2) appears to be the number of threads the process is executing.

My overall point is that even when the game is idle (I.e., I'm not up to anything) it consumes a massive amount of GPU. Other online games I play do not exhibit this behavior, even though they may be pushing tons of information (I.e., events firing, like on WoW).

As noted in another thread, this build has a memory leak that appears to be triggered by changing scenes (That's a guess though). I'd recently connected with this screenshot and had not changed scenes. Prior to this, I was at > 20GB system memory used due to the memory leak.

Sorthious likes this.
  4. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Yeah the second thread is the seperate in game map thread as far as I think.

Sorthious and Mishikal like this.
  5. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Build 727: Sitting idle on the world map --> 70% GPU constantly.

the Lacedaemonian likes this.
  6. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Build 727: Sitting idle in the entrance to middle downs: 85-91% GPU constantly. CPU is around 40%

08/22/2018 14:55
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8) System RAM: 32705
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 GPU RAM: 4053
    SotA.QA.Win.64.727.Date.08.22.18
    Area: Novia_R6_Hills02_02
    Area Display Name: Middle Downs
    Loc: (-165.8, 80.8, 178.5)
    Debug: Tm92aWFfUjZfSGlsbHMwMl8wMnx8KC0xNjUuODA3LCA4MC44MTksIDE3OC40OSl8KDAsIC0wLjk2OSwgMCwgLTAuMjQ2KXwxNTEuNTJ8MTkuNTEyNzR8My42NDQwMg==

Sorthious and the Lacedaemonian like this.
  7. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

This is even worse in build 733. This release is going to literally melt and destroy some people's systems if this goes live. Again, this is just me sitting idle (In this case, in Celestis). GPU temp hit 95C and I quit.

[​IMG]

Area: Celestis (Novia_R1_City_Celestis) Loc: (-9.7, 70.8, -157.6) DBG: Tm92aWFfUjFfQ2l0eV9DZWxlc3Rpc3x8KC05LjY1MywgNzAuNzkyLCAtMTU3LjU1Mil8KDAsIC0wLjk4MiwgMCwgMC4xODcpfC0xNTguNDU2fDI3LjM0NjQzfDE4

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    the Lacedaemonian and Sorthious like this.
  8. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Note: 100% GPU usage when sitting idle on the world map as well.

Sorthious likes this.
  9. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

my gpu is sitting at its normal 63°C in game

Sorthious likes this.
  10. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

My GPU is doing fine (GNU/Linux), memory usage slowly goes up was at 12GB, Virtual Mem was at 13,8GB. Nothing very serious as the Unity 2018.2 release, but still slowly getting there with 2 hours gameplay.

Sorthious likes this.
  11. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

This appears to be a bug. Initially the GPU (while still an insane 75% or so) is not at 100%. It's only after I do some stuff (check the bank, sort it various ways, move around) that it ends up pegged at 100% GPU.

12. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

On the Overworld map in my Windows 7 system - the GTX 670 is running at 70-80% GPU load at first..

After several minutes standing idle, it has inched up to 97-98% GPU load.

Sorthious and Mishikal like this.
  13. Echondas

On my home PC - W10 x64 - not seeing this issue (yet).

GTX 1070 GPU is hovering around 60% standing in Northwood.

On the Overworld map next to Silverdale Market facing Nightshade Pass - seeing similar GPU load.

Of note: work PC I was testing with earlier was a Xeon 3550 - home PC is an i7 6800k.

Perhaps Unity is compensating for the older CPU by offloading more to the GPU .. but that wouldn't make sense, since you're seeing this on an i7 4770k ..

Maybe drivers? I'm on 398.82 on the GTX 1070

14. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I saw it both with 398.82 and 399.07 released today. I tweaked my graphics settings on QA down to fastest and such, and it's back at 46% or so. The 100% GPU bug only seems to trigger when I'm using "Best".

15. Echondas

Just a thought - you're not using Peripheral lighting right? That's to make certain keyboards light up - not some kind of graphical/video lighting.. and it's caused issued before.. IMHO it should be moved out of video options.

16. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I do not have that setting checked. I did notice that the issue only triggers with the "Best" configuration.

Echondas likes this.
  17. Echondas

Unfortunately the way the video options currently work - there is no individual sliders for some of the settings the presets (best, good, etc) control - like draw distance. There was also a setting I believe that had to do with water reflections, that was only enabled for best and very good presets.

Maybe try putting it on "best" - and un-selecting options (antialiasing, camera effects, etc) - one at a time - until you find one that magically fixes it?

If not - try going to "very good" and turning all the optional stuff on (except peripheral lighting) - seeing if it still happens - and then un-selecting options one at a time again?

I really wish they would add tooltips for all the settings in the "Video" menu like the rest of the options menu items - so players know what they all do.

the Lacedaemonian and Jaesun like this.
  18. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Well, none of this really addresses the underlying issue, which is the excessive GPU usage regardless of which graphics settings are selected. I could understand significant GPU usage when in town around deco, etc. But on the world map? I.e., there's a *base* of nearly 50% GPU usage regardless of anything else on the "least intensive" setting.

the Lacedaemonian and Sorthious like this.
  19. Echondas

Agreed - was just trying to help gather some more info / do some testing - to help the devs investigate/reproduce this.

Mishikal likes this.
  20. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

So far, I can trigger the 100% GPU bug anytime by logging into my wife's lot, opening/closing the bank via the remote access device (at this point I'm about 70% GPU), then walk outside her lot and down the path a little near another person's lot. Once I do that, it'll shoot up to 100% GPU and stay there until I log out. This happens when the graphics setting is "Best", but not "Fastest". I haven't tried the settings inbetween.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.