SotA Cycle Jersey? -- (Dev) Replied

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by rild, May 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rild

rild Avatar

I'm the production manager for a company that makes really attractive, graphic driven cycling jerseys. Wondering what sort of interest there would be among pledgers and devs and Richard. It's a fairly high end technical garment, usually retailing at $80. We already do license agreements with Star Trek, Felix the Cat, Dr Seuss, and others, and we could produce as few as 50.

The dye-sublimation process embeds the ink right in the fabric, rather than printing on top of it, and we can do some pretty amazing detail. I think some of the concept art we've seen would be fantastic for a product like this.

Portalarium could sell them themselves and make more development money, or sell them at cost to pledgers, or give them away.

Thoughts?

2. beastvold

beastvold Avatar

Oh, yes! I'm an avid cyclist, and I would be proud to ride sporting SotA gear. (Hey, Portalarium - it's free advertising!) If you did get enough interest to print off a set, do you also do custom lettering? I would be excited to put my KickStarter pledge title on the jersey.

rgvgeekgirl likes this.
  3. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

Oooh... cool idea! Can you send me your info/pricing sheet via my community@portalarium.com email? Thanks!

4. rild

rild Avatar

@Beastvold sorry for the late response - we produce these using a method called dye-sublimation, which embeds the inks directly into the fabric. This gives us some amazing colors and detail that stretches with the material. Unfortunately, this means it's pretty expensive to do single alterations, but I am aware of a couple clients who have added screen printed numbers or names on the back of jerseys for races. Can I ask where you're hailing from?

@Firelotus Sending some info your way today, sorry if it's a little long-winded, and thank you!! I tried my best to be professional and not rant like the raving fan I am. :p

5. beastvold

beastvold Avatar

Ahh, forgot about this thread!

@rild - Have you gotten any more interest about the jerseys? It's be cool if Fire Lotus could connect you with the upcoming swag store.

I ride in Sacramento, CA, BTW.

rild likes this.
  6. Luciferase

Luciferase Avatar

Heck ya! I would purchase one for sure...And several cyclists I ride with are SotA members. I'm all for this happening. :D

rild and rgvgeekgirl like this.
  7. Siderious

Siderious Avatar

*drools* Yup, another fellow cyclist here ... I would definitely get a couple as well :)

rild and rgvgeekgirl like this.
  8. Slydelle

Slydelle Avatar

Ah yea...I would buy one too!

rild and uoEinstein like this.
  9. Luciferase

Luciferase Avatar

Oh wow, a fellow RGV Cyclist?....Small world, if ya referring to the Rio Grande. ;) I really hope the Jerseys get made.

rgvgeekgirl, rild and uoEinstein like this.
  10. rild

rild Avatar

Wow thanks for the support for this idea guys! I have not heard back from Portalarium, but I know they have bigger priorities. I'm actually in the process of setting up our new company, Brainstorm Gear, that will be doing this. First day in the new office! Big licensing conference Wednesday in Vegas, lots of work to do but we're ready to jump on this project.

What would you like to see on a jersey? We can do super hi-rez colorful stuff, though obviously some things look better at speed than others. I'd like to see some of the concept art on there, possibly sketches from Pen of the Avatar? Too bad we can't do a big silver serpent..

@beastvold We've decided to offer custom lettering / numbers on jerseys, it will likely cost $10 extra for that option.

Please share any ideas you have, and we'll keep this conversation going. I'm very excited at the possibility - thank you for expressing your interest as cyclists. Lots of people think gamers are just stuck in the basement eating doritos forever.

rgvgeekgirl likes this.
  11. Siderious

Siderious Avatar

I have always leaned towards the Shiner G.A.S.P. designs, and by that I mean how they are able to incorporate the 3d-looking beer bottles in the jersey back pockets. Obviously, it would not be that in our case, but something like that, something that stands out and makes folks riding next to you / behind you do a double take. Here is a picture of what I mean:

http://www.shinerbockstore.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/2013-03-13_19-33-05.png

One of my favorite jerseys also has a gigantic, realistic-looking tarantula on it. Definitely catches the eye :)

Krez and rild like this.
  12. rild

rild Avatar

Photos of two proprietary jerseys that were just completed. Very happy with the inks and stitching. Full zipper, silicon gripper, tagless design, 3 pockets, UV protection, and more! Fishead is our parent company, they do custom screen printing and embroidery.

We should be able to do just about anything with the imagery, I would very much like to see how far we can push our graphic capabilities. I'm just the logistics guy tho - my partner is the designer and he pretty much kills it every time.

Dippy bird could make a pocket-appearance!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

uoEinstein likes this.
  13. rild

rild Avatar

Here's two our designer did recently for another company recently.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Krez and uoEinstein like this.
  14. Slydelle

Slydelle Avatar

I personally would like to be able to take an image of my character and put on a tshir or jersey.

15. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

It sounds like if this is going to happen we'd have to have a single jersey graphic to represent the game for every jersey. Personally, I think I'd like to see a specially made concept art of the avatar approaching a shimmering moongate. :D

rild likes this.
  16. rild

rild Avatar

It could be a logo or banner, a sketch or a piece of concept art, or game graphics. I imagine the RG and the team have some idea of how they plan to represent Shroud graphically, beyond the text logo used here. I think it would be fantastic to ask Stephen to draw the concept, and work with the designer on how to make it work on a piece of apparel.

We can do some pretty extreme detail, but it doesn't look like much at speed. On a cycling jersey, the back is the place to showcase as rider's chest is hidden. These items are fully printed (the fabric starts out white), so we can put little additions like runic script or dippy bird anywhere. That being said, it takes a bit of an eye to keep things looking sharp on this style of garment. There are a ton of really ugly jerseys out there.

I think a lunar portal motif (Moongate Travelers jersey?) would be excellent, or a landscape / map. We'll have to wait and see. It will be a while before they are ready to solidify merchandise.

17. rild

rild Avatar

Hey dunno if anyone is still watching this thread, but we're running a market research survey for the weekend and we'd love the opinon of any cyclists out there! Or even people who just buy gifts for cyclists.

The Google survey takes about 5 minutes and for completing it we will give you
    • a gift certificate for $20 off a jersey on our website (does not expire, so you can save it for future products)
    • an entry in our contest to win a cycling jersey (your choice of four)
    We really want to get some opinions on what people are looking for and what drives their buying decisions... and it won't hurt my case around the office if you get vocal about an SotA jersey or running shirt (plz do!). You can also sign up for our mailing list or research list, making you eligible for future sweet offers. We will soon be expanding our offerings with some sweet gear featuring beloved brands (Star Trek to name one)

If you want to see the jerseys offered as prizes for the contest, go to brainstormgear.com
    Thanks in advance for sharing your opinons

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  18. G Din

G Din Avatar

Hmmm....think we should go with speedos and bikinis, but thats just me ;)

Seriously though, cool idea with the cycle jersey.

rild, Sir Stile Teckel and Kilhwch like this.
  19. stile

stile Avatar

Rild, published a news piece on this survery for you, as well as took it (heres hoping to win a jersey! *chuckles*)

20. stile

stile Avatar

Rild, published a news piece on this survery for you, as well as took it (heres hoping to win a jersey! *chuckles*)

rild likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.