SotA is the best game ever! Love!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LoneWerewolf, Nov 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Agreed, it shouldn't play the same... but it still should be a sandbox RPG... not a sims theme park :p

I haven't played fallout 3 but I've seen it, its indeed in the same spirit than the first two I played and loved... there was an effort made for continuity and integrity of mechanics.

Definition is lost on me, because themes, styles are all superficial when talking about RPGs... what we are looking for is functionality, and most importantly, spiritual depth.

Such as what was pitched, virtue choices, consequences, everything interactive... etc... deep story and lore.

Anyways, not looking to derail the thread :p

Even if I'm in love with a figment of my imagination, it was still born through the genius of King Gariott, I just wish he had his way instead of the politico-mainstream path we took.

Especially since our dev team is so unapologetic about the intended "difficulties" of playing our SOTA (which is a trait I LOVE in devs).

In fact more often than not, you'll see me telling people to chill the freak out about asking devs to "explain themselves" for decisions... never in my life I've seen a player "question" the DM in any game or LARP I have played.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  2. Bayard

Bayard Avatar

@LoneWerewolf, my hat is off to you! Your epiphany of "love" while mining had me spitting out my coffee in laughter! I think some are missing the satire based on your recent threads that got no answers.

And my post that many thought was 'only post happiness and censor all dissent' had nothing to do with your recent post. I thought yours had valid questions that we'll all have to wait for the answers to. :(

3. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I am an avid UO player. I backed SotA because it was said to be the "spiritual successor to Ultima Online." It does not have many common themes, styles, or elements from UO. In fact, its nothing at all like UO.

I love SotA, its a great game, and I spend way too much money on it (srsly happy to support tho!).

UO is by far the best game ever. I have played UO since 1998. I dont see myself ever not-playing it, as I dont believe anyone will ever make a game I enjoy more. I dont think our IRL/human culture can accept the level of freedom one has in UO.

I only *wish* SotA was a spiritual successor to UO. UO is fundamentally different than SotA. The only "style or elements" that are the same are some of the nomenclature around New Britannia, and the fact that Lord British is here. There is somewhat of a hint of that Chaos/Order stuff - its zero like what that represents in UO. There are the "virtues" but even that system is quite different from UO. Pretty much everything else is different, IMO. Its a completely different game, made by the creators of UO. Im really trying to reach for other similarities, maybe my mind is distracted right now, but I dont see any others.

The fact that this turned out to not be the spiritual successor to UO does not make this a weak title by any means. I agree its the best game on the market right now (if youre into RPGs...). It doesnt have to be similar to UO for me to like it.

Again, I love Portalarium, I love what theyre doing, and even bigger to the game, for me, is the fact that theyre daring greatly and doing this through community backing. Its freaking amazing, and I cant wait to see what the future holds. I have very positive feelings about what this game will be like in a year from now.

...but dont try to convince us die-hard UO fans that this is a spiritual successor, its not. "Sharing common themes, styles, or elements" with UO is not what the community wants in general, and Ive accepted that and moved on :).

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  4. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

No. It means you are not easily manipulated.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and LoneWerewolf like this.
  5. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I'll tell you what I love, that @Chris favorite movie is Shawshank Redemption and it's also one of mine! Great choice! :D

6. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

SotA was announced as the spiritual successor of the single player Ultima series (9 games, U7 has two parts, Ultima Underworld 1 and 2) and Ultima Online (more or less one game). Do you know some of the other many Ultimas? For me it's very hard to feel the spirit of the single player Ultimas here. And it makes me sad to express that. Anyway - this feeling is my truth. Of course everyone can have a different opinion about this game.

7. LoneWerewolf

LoneWerewolf Guest

Since it's number 1 on imdb I think it's not that unique of a choice ;) Awesome movie however! Also awesome short story

8. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Is it really!? Wow you're right that's amazing. For this scene alone:

Though I don't know what that says about The Dark Knight being at #4, I mean it's ok but to be listed in the Top 5 of all time!! Come on, no way. Platoon is a WAY better movie and it's not even on the list lol ;)

Sorry @LoneWerewolf not trying to derail! :)

9. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

@LoneWerewolf If you love Shroud of the Avatar so much, then why don't you marry Portalarium??

You already make the perfect married couple, so there's that.

10. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

????

LoneWerewolf likes this.
  11. LoneWerewolf

LoneWerewolf Guest

I assumed he means because we also fight (see my locked threads by Berek) ;)

Sir Cabirus and Cordelayne like this.
  12. idaniod

idaniod Avatar

I feel the same way. I absolutely love the game and I believe there's a lot of things to look forward to in the future!

13. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

The course of true love never did run smooth.

LoneWerewolf likes this.
  14. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

It's also one of my favorites....
    Probably the only thing that Chris and I have in common....:eek:

15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Dirty....

LoneWerewolf likes this.
  16. Jimmy Cliff

Jimmy Cliff Avatar

phish shows used to be the best place to find molly, so you are on the right track.

LoneWerewolf and Cordelayne like this.
  17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

As far as I can tell, Molly is short for Molecular MDMA.

18. Enziet

Enziet Avatar

I agree, this game is turning into something I could loose alot of time in. But again I keep reading the same thing over and over again. Ultima Online... It's not UO it's Ultima successor.....ish.... This game is NOTHING like Ultima Online, it is VERY closely related to Ultima though, with the avatar, the portal to new worlds, the question / answers in the start of the game and so much more.

Some of you need to find yourselves a copy of Ultima 6 and 7 and do a little play threw (IMO my favorite Ultima games).

Nelzie, LoneWerewolf and Olthadir like this.
  19. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Such is the duality of Love as we travel down that Virtue's path.

Cordelayne and LoneWerewolf like this.
  20. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

It has been in my heart for a while. It has knocked out any challengers to its place, BDO, Warhammer 2, Elder Scrolls, Screeps, Europa Universalis, Hearts Iron, Civ 6(or which ever one it is now i running out of fingers), all lay in its path....Its got its bits i hate, but hey, no ones perfect...but so long as they work on it and try to get a bit fat on the bones, I'm sure SotA will be a big success. The potential of the game is huge if the developers want that kind of an experience...i hope so.

Don't know Molly but i do know Mandy :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.