SotA Winnebago, the Gypsy Life...

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Time Lord, Feb 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I'm starting this thinking thread because I don't feel we've touched enough on the subject of the traveler, adventurer, Gypsy caravan life within our community (most of us have houses).

I believe we need to get our thinking caps on and imagine how such people, "or dare I say guild", would fit into our game play and what are the advantages in RP, PvP, in-general stuff could make that a very fun style of play.

Any thoughts out there?
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

2. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

3. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...mping-and-battlefield-stuff.7225/#post-122344
    Sir Dulgrand had this thread which dose touch on the subject and is quite enlightening, yet it dealt more with fortifications.

How and where would such a band of Gypsies camp while in town?

Could there be some sort of tax structure for the use of empty lots rented/owned on a short time basis?
    KOA/camp ground, Gypsy wagon park?

It may not make E1, but maybe needed by E2...
    What do you think about Gypsies?
    Time Lord~:rolleyes:

4. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Considering RG's recent space experiences, maybe this will be appropriate? ;)

[​IMG]

"Lord British... He's gone to plaid!" :D

docdoom77, monxter, smack and 4 others like this.
  5. Dulgrand

Dulgrand Avatar

I love the concept of Gypsy life. Not only the Romani people (which is the best known) but the nomad lifestyle itself. I even practiced Gypsy Navaja fighting months ago.

I'd like to see some support to this kind of RP. Some house styles, maybe a wagon (placeable and static, like a house, but more like a storage or bank chest), clothing and colors.

It would be lovely if we have a camping system where we can place temporary houses, tents and stuff. And meet some gypsy camps and travellers in "random encounters" while travelling over the isometric map. Those camps and travellers could have some "rare" and special items to sell, like: clothes, dye, weapons, furniture and decoration and even some "secret" spells. Also, players could rent a room or "house" for a few days in those camps, but the very nomad nature of the Gypsies make them to move from random hex to another each X days.

Another system comes in my mind when I think about camping is the possibility to alternate between isometric and 1rs-3rd person on any hex (like Fallout) when on map, so people could choose a spot and make their camp there.

More wagons from my favorite best game series ever (Quest for Glory, if it doesn't ring a bell): [​IMG]

PS: Just remembered this scene. It is way better on the book (like always) but I like this movie so much. Poor girl and man.

Willard, Ferrus, smack and 2 others like this.
  6. smack

smack Avatar

Rentable lots using a temporary deed / wilderness deed. :)

Lord Baldrith and Time Lord like this.
  7. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

This was a very disorienting post for me, because my spouse and I are seriously in the process of working to get a real "gypsy wagon" (RV) and become technomads... XD Just started a blog to document the process, in fact.

Funny.

8. Ferrus

Ferrus Avatar

If I could like you more than once I would. QFG4 was awesome. One of my favourite games.

Willard, Lord Baldrith and Time Lord like this.
  9. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

My favorite parts of that game were the Tarot card readings by the Gypsy (I'd purposefully drag out the game to see them all, along with the Staff dream sequences), and of course the incredible narration by John Rhys Davies. ;)

All of the characters, the humor, the dramatic quest, it all made for a fantastic game. :D
    (Reminder to all: GoG.com has the complete series for sale, and works on modern computers!)

Ferrus and Time Lord like this.
  10. monxter

monxter Avatar

There were similar ideas on House alternatives thread

A movable temporary shelter with storage space, that'd be neat. Pack it up, go gather into the wilderness, pack it up again and crash at the camping site near town. Some utility (storage) altough less housing features, no vendor, no crafting stations. A possibility to decorate your shelter, be it a tent or something similar.... Something for the future episodes?

11. selbie

selbie Avatar

I like the idea a lot. I'd much rather play as a nomadic adventurer going from town to town rather than being locked to one estate.
    The other perk is that my knowledge of the land shall be great! ;)

12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

R6 Gypsy Check;:oops:
    So, "does anyone see any room in the game for a trailer park or Gypsy Camp Wagon to fit in around here?

13. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

[​IMG]
    Concept art from awhile back.

Time Lord and Ferrus like this.
  14. tomsawyer

tomsawyer Avatar

While I like the idea, I am not sure how it would fit in with the current housing plot system. Tents worked in UO because they used the same mechanics as regular houses. Integrating both mechanics into the game might not work correctly.

I like the idea of rent-able rooms or huts. Maybe along the same line as the housing system now, where there are certain plots you can place on. They could just be like "Mini-housing" and you could have your choice of mini-house. Tents, Gypsy Wagons, Little wooden huts, Yurts, etc

Maybe you have a limited amount of time you can spend in one mini-plot before you need to move on.

Xaronzon and Time Lord like this.
  15. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:oops: "My Own Current Thinking" (please feel free to take shots at it in ridicule, modification, or completely different idea)
    I am thinking that the Gypsy Wagon is something similar to a traveling back pack, yet can only travel from town to town on a road or dirt trail. Such a wagon could be stabled as a horse might have been done in old UO, yet if you log out inside it, the wagon would vanish with you similar to camping gear, or sleeping bag. I feel that such a thing would do well for a traveling merchant...
    Any Feed Back? o_O

Eriador, Lord Baldrith and Jambo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.