Stacking food buffs

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Nikko, Jun 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

How does this work?

What foods can be eaten such that they "stack buffs?" I have seen people that have multiple food buffs active, but I don't know which foods to cook so I don't waste my time and energy and find that they will not stack together. Is it that something that a reasonable person could consider a dessert item will stack with anything that would not reasonably be considered a dessert item?

Please assist, if possible. I did a search for this, and could not find threads about this specifically, so I apologize if it has been asked.

Thanks!

2. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

awww... really? I thought that was a brilliant idea, too. I was sure it had something to do with dessert items being an additional buff. I think this would be very smart. If it is indeed a bug, that is unfortunate. Thanks for the response, sir.

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

2 different tier foods can be eaten. Tier is considered length of time stat. Buff lasts like you can eat two 4 hour foods as long as they are different. The same goes for any other 2 foods, they cannot be the same food so you can get two buffs from food. It's pretty interesting to me like if you're going mining eat a 6 strength food to help.

We are getting choices now so yay. :). That food that has for example -2 Dex is not as much an issue if you are just mining, but you can make it up with another food you choose. and I'm just mining after all. ;) *Wishes*

edited to correct that you can eat 2 foods of any tier as long as they are different. Such as 1 obsidian wolf and 1 obsidian bear food. You would get both buffs. Sorry for the confusion. I was wrong and this thread is old but I have now corrected my info.

and don't forget to always get your devotional shrine buffs also since you can have both of them and they last 9+ hours.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  4. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

I am confused... Not a bug then? You talk about this as if it is by design. Any feedback on that? Is this just what people do, or is it frowned upon? I've no interest in PVP anyway, so not sure why it'd really matter much.

Thanks for chiming in on this subject, by the way.

5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

yes you can eat two foods and it has been this way for quite some time. Making food meaningful due to focus cuts was the plan. We need food, potions and buffs to be meaningful for crafting and for managing our character which is good for the game overall.

If we are not prepared when getting into battle that is our bad. I never leave home without my 2 blessings, 2 foods, and reagents, well I do try not to. Also potions for focus if I'm going to be jumping into my healing deck to group heal.

To me this part is finally coming together for this game. Potions did not matter, food did not matter so why have them. They sat on vendors unsold. Now people are using them more, altho I can see some improvements needed still with balance and stuff of course. Well that's a whole other story ;)

I do remember in UO managing reagents and reagent use and while it was irritating sometime, mostly it was just the way it was and accepted. We have to look at the big picture for crafting, risk and reward, and playing our characters to the best of our abilities.

If you have been to Virtue League Pvp does know about this as well. It can always be in organized group pvp to make their own rules about potions and food, but overall in pvp not being prepared is one thing that will get you killed.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    Damian Killingsworth and Nikko like this.
  6. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I think @majoria70 is correct. It acts like the blessings do. You only get two.

7. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Thanks, majoria. Your posts are very often so helpful! I have yet to get into the "devotional blessings." Those last a few hours or something? You said you always have two. We can have 2 of those active at any given time?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Rear Admiral, fonsvitae and majoria70 like this.
  8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Ahhh thanks Nikko. Actually devotionals are 9 hours. That's why I just get them first thing when I log in so I don't forget. If the town you live in doesn't have them you are always welcome to come to Wizards Rest. We just have 2 devotionals first thing when you enter the town and the oracle is very close by the entrance also. Oh yeah and now there is a town crier there as well. ;) This goes for anyone in the neighborhood, come on in and get your buffs and 500 gold and xp from the oracle every day.:)

Nikko likes this.
  9. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

@Browncoat Jayson there are two high tierfood types that have the exact same buff as a slightly less expensive dish of the same type.

IE: wolf surprise gives the same buff as obsidian wolfchops. Obsidian wolf chops are more expensive and the only reason to eat them is to double up on the wolf surprise buff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.