StandaloneLinuxUniversalPatcher won't load anymore

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Yanestra, Sep 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yanestra

Yanestra Avatar

Hi, I am a user of Gentoo Linux, but I never had any problem bevore (years now). Now I can't start the StandaloneLinuxUniversalPatcher anymore, it won't start but it doesn't give me any hint on what went wrong. Maybe I broke the system somehow, but I can't see any obvious problem.

I tried: 1) Reinstalling a more current version, 2) starting the x86 32bit variant, 3) checking the .so files for missing symbols.

Pls help!

Arcanoxer, Ao Soliwilos and Acred like this.
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Start on command line and see if it's more descriptive.

Arcanoxer and Acred like this.
  3. Yanestra

Yanestra Avatar

That's what I always do.

And I get:
    Set current directory to /home/kj/work/shroud/StandaloneLinuxUniversalPatcher
    Found path: /home/kj/work/shroud/StandaloneLinuxUniversalPatcher/Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher.x86_64
    Mono path[0] = '/home/kj/work/shroud/StandaloneLinuxUniversalPatcher/Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data/Managed'
    Mono path[1] = '/home/kj/work/shroud/StandaloneLinuxUniversalPatcher/Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data/Mono'
    Mono config path = '/home/kj/work/shroud/StandaloneLinuxUniversalPatcher/Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data/Mono/etc'
    /dev/input/js0: driver version: 2.1.0 (20100)
    /dev/input/js0: fd 3, buttons 11, axes 8, name Microsoft X-Box 360 pad
    /dev/input/js0: using XBox 360 Controller mappings
    /dev/input/js0: axis 0: raw 0, mapped 0.000000
    /dev/input/js0: axis 1: raw 0, mapped 0.000000
    /dev/input/js0: axis 3: raw 0, mapped 0.000000
    /dev/input/js0: axis 4: raw 0, mapped 0.000000
    /dev/input/js0: axis 6: raw 0, mapped 0.000000
    /dev/input/js0: axis 7: raw 0, mapped 0.000000

Acred likes this.
  4. Alley Oop

...huh. Can you start it without the Xbox controller?

Acred likes this.
  5. Yanestra

Yanestra Avatar

No, same effect. (Just the last lines missing now.)

Acred likes this.
  6. Alley Oop

the next thing you should be hitting is the display manager stuff. can you force it to start on a specific display?

Code:
    Set current directory to /home/alley/Downloads/StandaloneLinuxUniversalPatcher
    Found path: /home/alley/Downloads/StandaloneLinuxUniversalPatcher/Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher.x86_64
    Mono path[0] = '/home/alley/Downloads/StandaloneLinuxUniversalPatcher/Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data/Managed'
    Mono path[1] = '/home/alley/Downloads/StandaloneLinuxUniversalPatcher/Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data/Mono'
    Mono config path = '/home/alley/Downloads/StandaloneLinuxUniversalPatcher/Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data/Mono/etc'
    displaymanager : xrandr version warning. 1.4
    displaymanager : trying .X11-unix
    client :0 has 1 screens
    displaymanager screen (0): 1152 x 864
    Using libudev for joystick management

Importing game controller configs

Acred likes this.
  7. Yanestra

Yanestra Avatar

Hm, I usually work with two monitors, but for testing I turned one off (xrandr --off). I reduced the resolution to 800x600 but it didn't change anything.

I suspected some compatibily issue but couldn't find something that would fail while being dynamically linked.

Acred likes this.
  8. Alley Oop

i am out of theories. @WrathPhoenix, add him to the linux thread?

Acred likes this.
  9. Wayfarer

Wayfarer Avatar

Hi, Yanestra:

Just a bit of an out-there theory--is the program actually crashing out, or is it still running in the background but not displaying a window? Sometimes, the launcher gets a little wacky and tries to display in a totally crazy aspect ratio--think zero pixels tall and tens of thousands wide. And sometimes that gets saved in the config that way. D:

So if:
    • You see the process still running in top or ps or whatever your process viewer of choice is, and
    • 'ScreenManager Resolution Height' and 'ScreenManager Resolution Width' in the config file (~/.config/unity3d/Portalarium/Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher/prefs for me) has something ridiculous (anything but 302 or so high and 550 or so wide)
    then kill the process, update those width and height numbers to something a little saner, and try again. It might take several tries. You might consider write-protecting that file once it looks sane, or (if you've got extended attributes available) setting it immutable (chattr +i I think).

That's it from me--hope that's it!

10. Yanestra

Yanestra Avatar

Ah, finally. :) There was a 0, which apparently made the program crash. I replaced with 500, and that's it. It works again. Thank you!

Acred and Wayfarer like this.
  11. Wayfarer

Wayfarer Avatar

Heh, glad to know it worked. To avoid any trouble, I've taken to just launching the game binary (Shroud of the Avatar.x86_64 on my system) directly and only using the launcher when I see a new patch is available (patch notes are here).

Have fun!

Acred likes this.
  12. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

@Yanestra Welcome fellow Gentoo person, glad you got it sorted. Not often I come across another playing games on Gentoo. :)

Arcanoxer, Yanestra and Wayfarer like this.
  13. Yanestra

Yanestra Avatar

Excuse me, but it appears I have the same problem again - but now there must be another reason (the display size values just look normal) and the launcher window even appears for a fraction of a second, but only to terminate with a Segmentation fault, or, alternatively, by crashing the whole X11 server. Which of both seems to be random. :eek:

PS. I guess the launcher has damaged my game installation. A new launcher (without game) also crashes immediately. What setting might it be this time? Deleting the launcher prefs fixes nothing (i.e. all files in ~/.config/unity3d/Portalarium/Shroud
    of the Avatar - Launcher). (But now, there is no Segmentation fault anymore, the program just terminates.)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  14. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

Is there a stale Shroud of the Avatar process running in the background? Is your system clock set correctly? Is your sound device available and working?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.