Starting Fresh. Input appreciated.

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by monkeyrogue, Sep 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkeyrogue

monkeyrogue Avatar

Wrong place to post? If so, move me along.

As I stated once I have gone by two online names since FidoNet. (If you don't know what that is, it's kind of a precursor to the modern internet. With beeping)

I've always gone by MonkeyRogue. That'll never change.

But in game, I've always used the moniker of Sol Roth. I swiped the name from Soylent Green. There, I said it.

After UO, I've never put down roots for long. There's always been something missing. Heck, it's probably just Lord British. Maybe it's the idea that there were never places TO put down roots. It was always about the next shiney, or power creep shiney. Never about the story.

Those of us from UO who experienced it know it gets way more personal than that.

With that in mind, and a new world to set down roots, I thought it might be time to find another me.

Why am I asking you lot? Simple, there isn't much sense being a logger from Coo's Bay Oregon (where I've been toppin trees, quite possibly the toughest man in the entire world) if everyone around me are Gypsy Warlocks. The story has to mesh or there is no place to find that home.

I suspect I'll end up playing an alt who is a kobold. He has a name, I'll hold onto that for later.

But for a primary character...head of the clan so-to-speak, I wanted to fit in (for once in my life) with you lunatics.

So here's the roster I came up with while taking a bath.

Professor Cole Aether(something....blade, scope, Smith). Possibly even just Cole Power.

An investigator into the mysterious phenomenon of the aethersphere. A steampunk explorer who has come to Novia seeking new knowledge of old things. His investigations into phlogoston and the ephemeral have left him with knowledge, a library and a thirst for adventure to gain...knowledge. A scientist and scholar first, a man of action second; ever the gentleman.

Welfin Del Dag
    A barbarian of the mountains, a shaman among his people with a stalwart wolf companion by his side. He favors a warhammer, leather and hide armor, has a wary eye for strangers, but a sincere appreciation for friends. His people were destroyed. (Insert story of relation to world)

Solomon Blackblade

A fallen noble, his house in disgrace. Searching for a way to bring back glory to his family, entrusted with only his heirlooms he may never find his way home, but will always be searching to prove himself.

†*******†

Personally I like Cole. Then again Indiana Jones is one of the few things from my childhood Abrams and Michael Bay hasn't seen fit to toss into a fiery inferno...yet. (I hear it is coming)

But I am wondering, from an in-game lore and other characters backgrounds which one seems to mesh better?

Even if the best you've got is "what?". That's okay. I'm just putting feelers out there and I'd like to develop the character before launch a touch and lay down some paths before I get too caught up in " this is the best way to build a character ".

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hello again monkeyrogue. Very nice thoughts on background ideas for your character. To me it sounds like you fit in terrifically. I do like professor Cole the mysterious stranger who keeps you wondering while he is into his investigations. So yes I agree with you there. I too loved the Indiana Jones sagas. Really since we came from Earth backgrounds can be varied. We are outlanders in this new land and not trusted that much, needing to prove our trustworthyness. I think you should play what you enjoy. I know I just started thinking on back story for Majoria. When it all comes down to the game launch I really am hoping for a way to read other characters brief backstories on their paper doll from a scroll or perhaps they will add other things like favorite saying etc, or threats if they are evil. *shivers*. So I hope my feedback helps you. I enjoyed reading what you wrote. :)

3. monkeyrogue

monkeyrogue Avatar

Ah, thank you. At launch I will have one, possibly two slots. I am, by nature an "alta-holic"(in City if Heroes I filled every slot available...on two accounts) so for once, I want to just build a character background, stick with and build relationships. Both in character and out.

I really appreciate the feedback.

Perhaps Professor Cole Aetherton? Then I can get the whole " Professor Aetherton, I presume?"

4. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

I think Cole and Solomon will fit in well. I can't tell you how happy it makes me feel to see people trying to put Some thought into their characters. I can't wait to meet you in game for some RP.

There are a lot of questions left behind after the avatar plunged his sword into the world and left behind hilt. I think cole will be the more interesting character. You will find other scholars who have put a lot of time into trying to figure out the mysteries left for us here. Finding those Rpers and gaining their knowledge and adding your own will make for some great RP.

5. monkeyrogue

monkeyrogue Avatar

I like to hear that. I'll be developing it as I go for awhile here, now that I finally have my head wrapped around some premise things. After next wipe I'll be establishing story and behavior. By the time release comes I will know FAR better all the whos whats and whyfors.

I really need that airship now. LOL

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  6. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Welcome and +10 for the Soylent Green reference.

7. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Budner, your cannibal is showing!

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  8. monkeyrogue

monkeyrogue Avatar

Thank you Budner

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  9. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Ravicus, when I think of that movie, I think of you. Although I imagine you'd rather feast on manflesh than mancrackers.

10. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Imagine if they combined Soylent Green with Clockwork Orange? *blows mind*

Budner likes this.
  11. monkeyrogue

monkeyrogue Avatar

Mancracker with SPAM on it, a touch of cheese and Ravicus would be in heaven. Long-pork heaven, but still.

12. monkeyrogue

monkeyrogue Avatar

Tossing out a possible name for consideration...how does this strike you guys?

Professor Zephaniah "Zephyr" Aetherton

Is that causing gnashing of teeth or blindness?

13. monkeyrogue

monkeyrogue Avatar

I'm not making you do math. I will never involve math. I just want opinions. And you know how opinions work. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.