Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Stength

Discussion in 'Release 22 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Sep 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

@Chris

I don't think strength should add to hit points.

Strength already helps with soooo much.

1. Increases the amount of weigh you can carry.
    2. Increases the amount of damage you do with melee weapons.
    3. Increases the regeneration rate of hit points.
    4. Increases the amount of hit points you have.

I feel like the last one is over doing it, and it creates a system where you really have to train in strength to get your hit points up to a competitive PVP level.

This means every character has to be Hercules. But it also further over emphasizes DPS.

If we look at intelligence as a comparison.

1. Increases spell damage and effectiveness.
    2. Increases chance to hit your opponent (I believe).
    3. Increases focus.
    4. Increases focus regeneration rate.

I would totally be ok with intelligence not increasing focus, and just increasing regeneration of focus.

I feel like this would help broaden character types, as well as lower the MASSIVE amount of hit points people have at higher levels (mainly because of strength).

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

I think the amount of hit points coupled with the fast regeneration by players at higher levels encourages a lot of tanking.

I haven't gotten to higher levels than the 40's but having fought a lot of people 30 to 40 levels higher than I am, I can say that the barrier to entry to pvp would be cut much shorter if players didn't have so many hit points.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  3. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

I don't know if I agree totally about strength not affecting HP. BUT I do agree that inflated HP pools for any game isn't fun, and isn't fair, especially if it become a barrier to content and play-styles. I'm just remembering level 70 WoW characters with 50,000 HP doing 20k crits... and rolling my eyes, wondering when it will all end?

4. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Disagree. IRL physical strength would generally enable you to sustain more physical damage, so it should be added to hit points.

I forget but aren't they nerfing strength at higher levels, i.e. isn't it increasingly hard to raise strength as you progress? Sort of like it's difficult to level the higher up you go? I'd be in favor of that.

But at low levels we need every hit point we can get our hands on, IMO. Otherwise always being killed by rabbits, etc.:(

5. Drocis the Devious

PVE is PVE

When it comes to PVE, it's fine if we want to say "there's no levels" or "levels don't matter". But that's not true. The more "levels" a person has, the more INT, STR, and DEX the generally have because they can put more "points" into those areas. That's just how the game works, but it's essentially "levels" because you end up with people that are higher having a bazillion hit points and people that are lower having a small fraction of that. So the margin for error between these levels becomes almost non-existent in pvp.

People with 500 hit points can stand around laughing at people only doing 10 points of damage. I think strength is a big part of that.

But ask yourself this, if the only person you could fight in pvp was Lord British, would that be a compelling game for you? Because until you reach Lord British level in hit points, the pvp is not fun and that's exactly what is happening right now.

6. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

From what I've observed, Dexterity doesn't do much.

I pull up V and look at my stats and my Attack Skill doesn't go up when I raise Dexterity. It doesn't help with Damage Avoidance that I can see.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  7. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I guess what I'm saying is that make it pretty easy to get to, say, 200 hit points, but then make it increasing harder to advance beyond that. Might even cap it.

8. Drocis the Devious

I think it's supposed to be doing stuff. It would be great to have a bullet point list of all the things STR, DEX, and INT are supposed to be doing. I know Chris has talked about this before, but it's hard to remember, I'd really like a cheat sheet.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  9. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

What I'd like to see if Hit Points and Focus be based on two stats, so you can choose how to advance your character. HP based on the average of Str + Dex, and Focus on Int + Dex. This way, fighters can get more focus to use in skills by working out, not being 'smarter', and the hp bonus pools will be smaller except for those that dedicate themselves to both attributes.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.