Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Subterfuge: Engage Opponent

Discussion in 'Release 26 Feedback Forum' started by Black Tortoise, Feb 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

'Engage Opponent' feels kind of useless to me. I get it that its a lot more viable once its much higher level, and my stealth is very high as well, but even then it lacks one thing: a strike attached to the end of the sequence.

Right now using the skill sends me flying, very much like a grounded bird, into my opponents chest. Then I have to load weapons, and start fighting. This sequence is awkward, and it gives the opponent the opportunity to strike first (or, well 2-3 times before I do, since sometimes there is lag and it takes a second to get my weapons out).

Alternatively, I can camo/stealth first, enter combat mode, and wait 15 seconds for the timer to cool down, then attack, hoping my opponent diddnt wander out of my radius. This is even more awkward than the first way - using it from non-combat mode and then opening combat after.

'Engage Opponent' needs an attack at the end of the sequence. It should auto attack once, or do some cool style, or add some debuff like a slight root, just something that begins combat automatically. It should be perfectly viable to use from non-combat mode. Waiting for the timer in combat mode requires either locking it to the bar which takes up valuable space, or using it like any other random deck glyph, which requires sitting around waiting for it to pop.

Right now I just want my skillpoint back from training it ;-). Please add a strike, or some other combat sequence to this skill.

2. Gix

Gix Avatar

Actually [Engage Opponent] seems like a skill to use in mid-combat, not as an opener; to be used in PvP or against mobs that run away like archers, wizards and wounded wolves.

That's how I used it in R25 and it worked great. Maybe the name is misleading... [Pursue Opponent]?

But you are right about one thing: you kind expect the skill to deal some amount of damage... or snare.

Mordakai and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  3. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Perhaps in PVP... but against situation where there are 2 archers - one in front of me, and the other at a distance, the Engage Opponent skill has to be very high level to be viable. Its simpler to just run at the archer and chop em or blast with searing ray. At low level, EO has very little distance.

Gix and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  4. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

More observation: even when chasing down a fleeing opponent (e.g., Grey Wolves), this skill hinders rather than helps. There is a momentary pause when the sequence initiated by Engage Opponent ends, and I cant attack. In that moment, the opponent flees further away.

If, instead, I just run at normal speed, I can just attack when I reach the opponent, killing it. So EO skill actually makes it harder to chase down a fleeing mob. This may not be true for another player, though I suspect it would be even harder to hit another player after EO has been used.

5. Gix

Gix Avatar

Yeah, you basically have to chase, Engage Opponent, and then continue your forward momentum (by running) before attempting an attack.

You can't let Engage Opponent do the work on its own. I wouldn't mind seeing either a range buff, or a snare at the end of the effect... or both.

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

Could be an idea for a combo, stratigos.

Engage Opponent + Thrust -->

7. redfish

redfish Avatar

Oh yes, though you have to enter into combat mode, right?

8. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Well, yes, or if you begin in combat - check what I said above - there is this momentary "pause" at the end of the Engage Opponent sequence. You cant immediately use a skill, it takes like half a second or more. So it actually feels like Im nerfing myself. Id rather just run normally and attack at will, than be directed to the opponent and have to wait a moment before I can attack.

9. Mysticvermin

Mysticvermin Avatar

First usage of the skill after unlocking it was ridiculous. My character ran in place for the duration. Tried it a few more times and won't use it again. For stealth the moon magic move Night Step seems like the way to go. I was really excited about subterfuge moves, but with the limited duration of stealth and poison it seems wasteful on a limited hotbar.
    For non-stealth Sprint feels much better, plus you can use it for getting out from bad situations too.

10. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Yah after getting it to level 20, I am now downleveling Engage Opponent. The whole subterfuge line needs a lot of love, but I am aware its only been around for the last few releases.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.