Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Swing batter batter..

Discussion in 'Release 20 Feedback' started by Soulicide, Jul 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

I've noticed that glyphs can be used now even when an enemy isn't targeted so what's happened is they no longer are greyed out if you're out of range. This is posing a little bit annoying as it's hard to tell when I'm within range or not. It seems like using an axe I have to be almost on top of enemies otherwise I'm swinging at air and it takes a second to realize this is happening. Combat feels super clumsy again.

2. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

Yes - it doesn't help that there isn't any proper or obvious visual/audio feedback for a hit/miss so I can sometimes end up being just out of range/arc of an enemy for a couple of hits before I noticed I'm not even hitting something.

3. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

And yet...the enemies are able to reach. I am pretty sure my axe is longer than a wolf's muzzle.

4. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Im missing all over as well. Ill jack my attack up to 100 before I complain. Usually I just forget how often my new toon misses. Its a painful amount of missing!

Leostemplar and FrostII like this.
  5. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

There are two types of missing though:

1) Where your character is in range, but the combat math says you missed.
    2) Where your character is not in range, and is attacking empty space.

I believe Soulicide is referring to condition 2.

I have been running into the same issue myself, most recently with bears (whose hit box are center mass but apparently attack from their snout).

If you are not close enough, it may look like you are engaged in combat, but in fact you are not actually attacking anything at all. All the while, your opponent is pummeling you. :p

Leostemplar, Albus, steanne and 5 others like this.
  6. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Aye, that is annoying, you're out of sword reach of them and the mob is out of sword range of you, but yet they can still hit you :(

Leostemplar, hoylegu, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  7. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

The touch range spells are now directional like a charged up melee attack, not targeted.

8. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Just to be clear : Personally, I was aware of that change, however, doesn't make the issue any less annoying. :)

Ice Queen likes this.
  9. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

Yes, condition two. I am saying that before..when you were out of range, the skills would be greyed. Now they aren't so it's a whole lot of hitting air or standing right on top of enemies. In otherwords, there is no indication of whether or not you're in range now. I'm wasting a lot of focus. Especially chasing Archers...which now seem to run and run...and run and run some more. I've just opted to avoid Archers in Greymark if at all possible because they are so obnoxious now to chase after and miss because you can't tell if you're within range.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  10. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Currently there is a color visual that indicates that a mob is in the cone, that is a whitish color. However the highlight change that was put in overrides the white color when you have an object selected, so you can't tell if it is in range or not. There is also a pulse that is supposed to indicate whether a mob can be hit. That is the pulsing you see on dead mobs, if they are target range.

Until they get it fixed there is a workaround, target yourself using zf1. That will let you at least see the white coloured highlight on most mobs. The drawback is that you have to watch health bars over the mob instead of looking at the targeted healthbar near your avatar'so info.

11. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Another drawback is not having an active target disables the auto-attack. (I use the auto-attack because I currently do more damage that way over free-attack).

The skills are still free-attack whether you have the option enabled are not. :)

12. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

I am all melee. I am using no spells. All close-range bludgeon skills. What I am saying is that they removed skills on your bar greying out when you are out of attack range. So I can physically appear to be in range, but I may be slightly not close enough. However, I can still swing. But will miss. Yet there is no indication of missing as when you are in range and have a miss, thus you waste that glyph and the focus. And as far as the pulsing goes, I thought it was a great idea. But I have my slider turned all the way up and I can barely see the red at all much less whether or not its pulsing. Greying out skills was so much simpler.

Leostemplar, Albus, hoylegu and 2 others like this.
  13. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Yes, we are all clear on that one.

The dev team changed all the melee skills to be free-attack : Meaning they attack a cone of space in front of your chracter, whether there is anyone there or not.

You can see that effect easy enough, since you can now use the skill without needing to have anyone highlighted in front of you.

jiirc is explaining how to tell when your opponent is in that "cone of attack".

-----

As an aside : Not all the skills have been changed. The "Splintering Strike" combo attack actually still greys out in the old manner. I have been using it to gauge my distance.

Perhaps the other combos are similarly "defective". :)

jiirc and Soulicide like this.
  14. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

My parting thoughts on this :

Suggestion would be to grey out the skill if there is no one in the "cone of attack" area.

"Simple" right ?

Leostemplar, steanne, FrostII and 3 others like this.
  15. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

I agree. It would be so much simpler. It seems to me that having yet another glowy effect on the mob just defeats the purpose of why they got rid of highlighting in the first place. For immersion. So...I'm glad it's broken even if it means I have no range indication. Or, judging by what jiirc said, I'm assuming it's broken because the pulsing is NOT an indication of target being in the cone of attack. I can be 10 yards away with my back turned and it pulses.

Edit: Finally seeing the white pulse. Talk about vague. Nobody is going to see that when they're being ganged by a pack of elves in tall grass. Yeesh. >.<

Edit edit: I'm glad jiirc mentioned it though, because I seriously had not even noticed the white until I was looking for it. To me, that is not a good visual mechanic.

16. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

I think it might be all the melee combs. The same things happens with quad clash. Since its the first iteration of the skills on free attack, I suspect they missed it. Thatès why they have usé :)

Duke Raas likes this.
  17. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Theyève benn messing with the visual mechanic for the last couple of days to try and get it to work. It's still not where they need it to be. I'm sure it will get biteer, hopefully before they cut off changes to the R20 build and let it slide into R21.

sn0tub and FrostII like this.
  18. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

Even if they do fix it, it's going to be way too subtle...even with the slider cranked up. I agree with Duke Raas. Grey out the skills when it's not in the cone of attack. Having the indicator on the target itself is just plain annoying and difficult to see in most situations.

Leostemplar, Ice Queen and FrostII like this.
  19. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I'm concerned, as a melee fighter, that the melee NPC attacker doesn't have to step into my range to attack me. Why can all the NPCs step up, just outside my range, even when they only have a sword or mouth and claws, while I'm wielding a sword or 2-handed axe? Doesn't make any sense. They shouldn't be able to attack me without stepping in-range during their attack, for me to take advantage and slice off their arm or cut off their head!

20. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Since we have a "Miss" feedback floating string, why not adding a "Too far" for when, well, the target is too far?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.