Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Swing batter batter..

Discussion in 'Release 20 Feedback' started by Soulicide, Jul 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leostemplar

Leostemplar Avatar

All right. I will post here again because this issue is causing a lot of frustration to me and to many others.

First of all: I don't really understand why some people believe that UI feedback breaks immersion. It doesn't! Until we can enter inside a game and see, hear and feel as the character do, we need UI feedback! Giving me an easy way to know if my target is in my range/reach isn't breaking immersion! Not knowing if a target that is half a meter away from me is in fact within my reach or not is exactly what breaks immersion! And also brings a lot of frustration...

No, I've made a full respect from blades to polearm for the increased range and it appears that nothing has changed (with the exception of the Pull skill).

Now that I got that out of my chest, let's talk about the issue. The problems here are:
    • The reach of the NPCs are far longer than they should be.
    • NPC's hitboxes are way too small.
    • NPCs keep adjusting their position all the time, what shouldn't be a problem by itself, but right now it makes a rabbit move out of my polearm's reach while I'm still inside his tiny paw's reach.
    • UI feedback isn't strong enough to let me know if my target is in range/reach or not.
    Solutions (In my opinion, of course): It would be a lot better with grayed out skills and no execution of the glyph if the target is out of range. <deep breath> If your design choice is towards the free hit (which, in my opinion, will bring frustration to the new and the more casual players, even if you solve the problems I mentioned before), I would say that you should grey out the hotkeys if there is no suitable target in range and let the player swing/cast if they want to do it anyway. If the problem is providing UI feedback (God knows why this would be a problem to anyone) than don't grey out the bar, but don't let the player swing if there is no target in range (If there is a target in range/reach but this target isn't the selected one, let the player 'attack' anyway. The glyph should only activate if there is a purpose for it [I.e. A friend to heal or a foe to kill.].). And, of course, fix the hitbox and the reach of NPCs.

Allow me just to repeat it once again: UI feedback isn't breaking immersion. It never was and never will be.
    Above all other things: Keep the combat simple. Complexity may be a good thing, complicatedness is not.

I apologize if was too aggressive here, I have struggled not to be.
    I wish you wisdom and luck in your choices.

Peace,
    Leos.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  2. Ember

Ember Avatar

I agree that UI feedback (no matter how they choose to implement it as long as it is obvious) does NOT break immersion for me. Not knowing for sure whether or not I am within range of my target while getting owned by it DOES break immersion and causes much frustration! :mad:

3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

What he said ^^^^^

4. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

It seems that every creature I fight can hit me in melee at quite a distance but I literally have to stand INSIDE a monster for my sword to reach them. It is ridiculous.

5. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

For somebody with a grand total of 41 posts - I hope we hear more from you... Leostemplar !

And it doesn't hurt that I agree with everything you said above...

Most especially in that - UI feedback only adds TO immersion (assuming immersion somehow equates to enjoyment).
    The way it is currently, my "instincts" - regarding whether or not that thing standing right in front of me is within my "range" - aren't sufficient to overcome your current implementation of effective range... So a bit of UI love (as in not displaying a glyph that won't work) certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings in the slightest.

You did it once, you could certainly do it again...
    For old recent past time's sake.......................;)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    Leostemplar likes this.
  6. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Why enderandrew............ I couldn't have said it better... ;)

Leostemplar likes this.
  7. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

K.I.S.S.

AMEN !

In the end, we're all here for the fun in it... right?

Leostemplar likes this.
  8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Thanks Soulicide, for summoning up my exact thoughts on those freakin' archers - given our current miniscule attack range - not to mention never being quite sure if we're in it or not.... :eek:

We melee guys need to know range boundaries... in some way that's relatively obvious.

We're needin' a bit-a-love here dev people....
    er, Sirs... :cool:

Leostemplar and Soulicide like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.