Sword of Midras

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MrJones77, Oct 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrJones77

MrJones77 Avatar

Just picked up the book. I am fully invested in learning all I can about the lore. Anyone else read it yet?

2. Gravidy

Gravidy Avatar

Yes. I read it digitally as it came out, and then bought the hardcover and am reading it again. It's a good read, you'll enjoy it.

3. RoStudios

RoStudios Avatar

I have it on audible. I listened to it twice. I just wish they gave us a time frame between the book and us. Maybe next book.

4. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

I can't wait for the next book!

Acred likes this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I've read it several times. I have the book on audio.

I'm a big Tracy Hickman fan. Really looking forward to the rest of the books coming out as well.

6. Pikegirl

Pikegirl Avatar

I tried reading it too in between breaks.

Hickman's writing style is crisp enough to hold my attention, and I loved the way he described the scenes so vividly!

I've 3 versions of his Dragonlance Chronicles beside my bed, a signed copy of his recent book, and a group picture with him and his wife as well when they came by in an exclusive Author's Workshop.

Very jovial (his anecdotes are hilarious, yet insightful) in real life, and super cool author.

7. null2

null2 Avatar

I just finished the audiobook today, had to restart because I didn't listen to it for a few months. I thought it was cool to learn more about the lore with an entertaining tale. The narrator is pretty good.

MrJones77, Acred and StevieD like this.
  8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

It's also good to get familiar with the regions, rivers, cities etc.

MrJones77 and Acred like this.
  9. Makaryus Drach

Makaryus Drach Avatar

10. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I read it about a month ago. Its a pretty short read, took me under 4 hours total.

I am a Hickman going back to Dragon Lance days. The two first trilogies are pretty important to me, I still to this day read them once every few years. My 2 kids have now also read them. I also read a good dozen more of his books relating to Dragonlance. I am generally an avid book reader, not so much now-a-days since to much family time gets in the way.

I personal though SOM was ok, probably worth reading as a SOTA player. I expected it to bring to life the history of this game and it just did not. It gave me some lore on a couple of cities, little bit on Obsidian's and various creatures in game. The story and chars were not really detailed and up to what I normally expected from Hickman. Over all, I probably already dont remember half the book a month later because it just was not that memorable. I wasn't really drawn into the characters and even though I probably will read the next books, its not something that I am literally craaaping my pants over like friggen Game of Thrones (which probably helped contribute to my ambivalence to this book, once you have read GoT with its debth, it can ruin you forever as far as book expectations go). Martin is going to die before that last book is released. This is one of my least favorite Hickman books. I doubt that I'll read it again.

But I would still suggest anyone reading this review on these forums should read it for SOTA.

On a side note, people complain about how slow map travel is. In the book I believe (if I remember right) the journey from Desolis to the Grunvald shard takes a full day of travel. Not so slow in game right!

Kambrius and StevieD like this.
  11. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

Nope. I'm still waiting for the kindle edition to be released to everyone outside the US...

12. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

13. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

Nope, unfortunately when I visit that link, unless I'm using a VPN, it is "Not Currently Available". And of course as soon as I login to my account it will block the Kindle version which I can see is there.

This is something companies like Amazon, and their publishers, deliberately do outside the US.... and quite frankly it's disgraceful. Especially in this global age. All they have to do is convert the currency. Not mark up prices or restrict sale.

14. CatherineRose

CatherineRose Avatar

I have the Audio as well. I listen to books when in the car and with this book it was hard to want to get out of my car...finally had to take it in the house to finish it. :)

15. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I have read it twice. I found it to be a fairly straightforward story that set some backstory for the Obsidians, Midras, certain creatures, and a few other locations in game. Worth the read as an SOTA player. I hope more books launch that flesh the game world out even further.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.