Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Talking to NPC vendor opens inventory window with merchant conversation enabled

Discussion in 'Release 46 Feedback Forum' started by Elwyn, Sep 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Why does talking to an NPC vendor automatically open an inventory window when "Skip Conversation With Merchants" is unchecked?

The vendor buy/sell window doesn't need the inventory window at all. In fact, sometimes I would thoughtlessly open one, then realize I had too much crap on the screen and close it. When buying stuff, you use the exchange pane, when selling stuff, you go into Manage inventory, which changes the left pane to a copy of your inventory window. In no case (since R20 when I started!) have I ever found the inventory window to be useful when buying/selling to a vendor; it is at best redundant.

Really, what does it add that is useful?

Even better, probably because of the chat window, even when the chat window is not selected for typing, the I key won't even close the inventory window.

Bushmaster likes this.
  2. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Because if the conversation window is open, you aren't able to access your inventory, so it auto-opens when speaking to an NPC merchant. Since an NPC shopkeeper can still be interacted with (target, type "hello") with that option on, it needs to remain this way.

A great many people disagreed with you, so much so that this was added thanks to feedback from QA.

Barugon and Hermetic like this.
  3. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Avatar

@Lum the Mad
    I disagree, you could always have accessed ones inventory my hitting "I" or clicking the bag in the upper right of the UI while chatting with an NPC. The whole reason we have the option "Skip Conversation With Merchants" checked is we do not need the chat window open, and our inventory opening.

It is more annoying to close all windows to get to what you want, and is where I fully agree with @Elwyn

If you close the buy/sell window you inventory and chat stays open, if you say goodbye to the merchant the buy/sell, and inventory window stays open. Intended?

Can we please just get the "Skip Conversation With Merchants" option to work? opens just the buy/sell window?

4. Gix

Gix Avatar

Why have the inventory window open when talking to an NPC merchant already opens the trading window? It's redundant because you already have access to your inventory from the trading window.

All it does is:
    • Clutters my screen with the same info.
    • Forces me to close the inventory window (the window I never wanted opened in the first place) after I'm done trading.

Alley Oop likes this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I keep items that I don't want to accidentally sell in a separate container. When I'm selling to a merchant, I drag those items from my main inventory window. Having it automatically open is ok with me. Otherwise, I would have to exit the conversation and then open my inventory.

6. Gix

Gix Avatar

So the problem lies in your inability to open the inventory window while you're trading.

While your issue is still valid, I don't see how your "don't want to pre-emptively open" that happens on the rare occasions somehow makes it okay for me to "have to close the damn thing" every time.

Heck, a simple "don't list items in containers" filter on the trade window that always activates itself when you open the trade would probably suffice... then you'd only need to click a checkbox to deactivate the filter each time you'd want to sell those particular items AND have the benefit of not displaying similar information twice in different windows.

They (@Lum the Mad ) could start the focus on dialogue so that we're able type to the NPC, but the moment we click inside a particular UI window, it releases the focus so that we can press hotkeys to open various windows... like the inventory for those who want it. Heck, I'd gain something from that too like gaining access to my character sheet when I'm at the bank.

There's so many ways to solve this.

Salix likes this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Pretty much. Actually, the problem is with the conversation window.

Elwyn, Salix and Gix like this.
  8. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Hmm, I think I see... the very same reason I couldn't put the inventory window away (the I key is ignored) is the very reason to bring it up. I still think it's redundant, but oh well.

But really, the only reason I uncheck that temporarily is because you often can't know a vendor's name when you interact without a chat. Sometimes you do automatically get the name, but it's like one in four or five vendors. And it's hard to test for because once you can only learn the name once. And I must know all the names! It makes me sad when an NPC hasn't had a name assigned, very common in Central Brittany.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.