Tamed a creature, but not experienced enough...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vallin Tregres, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

I'm confused. If I tamed a creature with tools of my own craft then why am I "Not experienced enough to summon this creature."?

2. mass

mass Avatar

You need to level the 'summoning' skill in the taming tree. It was implemented this way because people were purchasing high level creatures from tamers even though they had no skill in the taming tree. They wanted tamers to be able to sell creatures, but force people who used pets in combat to invest in some xp in the taming tree in order to use them.

I don't think it's ideal; leveling the actual taming skill should do more benefit to summoning. But if you start with a low level creature you can level the summoning skill with it until it is high enough for more powerful ones. If you hover over a whistle that has a creature attached, it will tell you the required summoning level for it.

majoria70, Numa, Zader and 1 other person like this.
  3. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Right. Just to add, ... there were some releases where using pets had serious balancing issues. Low level players would get a level 60 spider and just walk around collecting loot.

4. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

That was fixed in Aug 2016 and taming has been useless ever since.

Weins201 likes this.
  5. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

In UO, it was darn near necessary to have tamed Greater Dragons around to kill some of the bosses. If you had a Greater Dragon, you could kill nearly everything. I had no problem with it. I actually think the tamed creature should be identical to the one that you run across in the field. That's just my opinion.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  6. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

True, it was sad. I remember reading some very passionate posts from back then, Some players really were hoping to be tamers where the pet always did the fighting. I don't wish to revisit that time again. Pets could use a little more love though.

Moiseyev Trueden and thoregundi like this.
  7. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

If the person had to spend ridiculous amounts of silver and time to get to the point that they could tame a creature that can do all of the fighting for them, I think they should be able to do just that. It should probably be somewhat difficult for them to be able to tame the creatures even after they get to 120 in the required skill, and perhaps difficult to even KEEP the pet tamed (food requirements, like in UO). I think it should be able to happen though. I am sure there is some PVP reason it is a bad idea, but I loved this for PVE in UO, even though I never got into taming in that game. I just loved travelling with those who had the Greater Dragons. That was super fun.

Moiseyev Trueden and Weins201 like this.
  8. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

TY:) I am waiting until R43 to RE-ADRESS :rolleyes:this issue AGAIN:mad:

If you can tame the pet you should be able to Summon / Use it:cool:. The fix was a result of a long ago Imbalance:(.

But if you look at the release notes for R42;) taming is taming, if you don not like it unlearn your skillso_O, Taming will give 100% back because it sucks:p.

9. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

Been some time since I played UO, but I started as a Tamer. Remember my first dragon from Moonglow and how he chewed through demons like they were nothing. Out of all the games UO had something unique about taming in that you could train your pets skills and sometimes their stats. In Star Wars Galaxies you could level your baby pet into a murder machine (killin' Krayts wearing only my blaster for the lolz). In WoW they just hop to your level and are mainly used for the abilities they posses. Still though, I remember training my Cu-Sids healing, my Rune Beetles poisoning and my Kitsunes magery fondly. Dragon and Nightmare mainly beat on each other to train resistance. lol

10. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Taming in Sota waa and is a huge let down for me.

Pets have no individual stats or skill gain. Your ability to control is based on summon.
    Its strength is basrd on your personsl passivr levels.

What this led to was a lot of people skipping taming skill to just level summoning skill and associated strength passive ans buying max pet.

Pets arnt strong. Or at least they fall off to be useless after skull 5.
    Dmg has been adjusted and their walk speed lately which was good. But the way aggro with them works is really wonky.
    Essentially they build aggro against YOU not them. Meaning they will kill a mob before taking it off you, if mob aggrod to you first.

I have 122? 121? Tame. I pushed i quickly aftrr persistance.. and thrn gmed most the associated pet skills hoping it would grt better.. but since adv level 80? I cant justify using a pet.. ever.

Mix that with the minimal to no decay on the whistles that take up a neckalce spot. The massive focuse cost. And the huge cut to your focuse regen. I find them useless with minimal market for them.

I know guildies whove made them work but all of them seem to find the taming tree a waste as soon as they hit a certain point.

All that aside.
    No connection or development or attachment to pets. No advantage to someone whose killed 1000x mobs with his pet.. over me who can summon a virgin pet at same personal skill level.

Its definitly not something i was imprrssed with when i came into this game.. and would take a pretty massive overhaul to make decent.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  11. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

In Star Wars Galaxies, 1 week before the Mustafar xpack, which offered several Creature Handler items, the NGE (New Game Enhancements) hit and completely removed Creature Handler from the game. The NGE was not tested, never mentioned beforehand and even won a record for the largest change to a running game thus far. Feedback was far and beyond negative considering only Jedi and Bounty Hunter were functioning classes and everything else still in the game was broken beyond repair. It took the devs almost a year to make the game playable, but when they revisited Creature Handler they did far more than simply bring it back. Creature Handler and the new Bio Engineer skills were made incredibly powerful and added to a ton of late-game content in the form of creature raising, mount crafting and the chance at creating new mutant creatures.

With SoTA I see potential because I look at the current list of pets available. Bears, spiders, wolves, how strong were these back in UO? I figure they are at a currently nice spot, though I'm sure the Onyx versions could use some tweaking if only to the resource cost of having them out. I hold out hopes that someday Dragons will be tamable and the justification for raising the skills so high will be made valid. And hey, if we never get dragons I can still honestly see Nightmares being added at one point seeing as how they are already referenced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.