Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Taming Collars should be tiered

Discussion in 'Release 22 Feedback' started by Link_of_Hyrule, Oct 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Exactly my point it's kind of like when you do an experiment there has to be a control unit or all crap breaks loose.

Numa likes this.
  2. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I absolutely agree with you.
    But! Every player has a pet. So the price isn't a barrier.
    In my opinion the barrier has to be in the skill tree.
    At the moment you can be an master craft, sword wielding plate mage and tamer and you still have enough skill points left to do what ever you want.

3. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I personally think they should completely ditch the skill tree and go full blown skill trainer/quests for skills and have spell/skill books which you may also have to obtain from a quest. The quests can be increasingly harder for each skill and we can have some trainers refuse to train you if you haven't mastered other skills first.

4. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I admit I kind of like the idea.
    But that would mean we would get even more versatile people.
    I would name Themo to be the guy that would have ALL skills first ^^

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    Link_of_Hyrule likes this.
  5. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

@Jeff3po and @Chris What do you think about the taming collar tiers?

6. Curt

Curt Avatar

Make so taming collars has a durability higher the more skilled the crafter is.

When attempting to tame a monster decrease durability with a number that depends on the targets difficulty.
    if durability now is < 0 fail and collar is destroyed
    skill check if successful the animal is tamed and the collar is destroyed.

Now if assumes the easiest animals has a cost 0f '1'

If you with a collar of durability '1' attempts to tame a easy animal you has One chance and collar goes away
    If you with a collar of durability '2' attempts to tame a easy animal you has two chances
    or you can try to tame a slightly harder animal with one chance

Link_of_Hyrule likes this.
  7. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Yeah that would be useful if the collars were useable more than once if the taming fails. It kind of makes no sense that it's useable only once.

8. Palinor Tyne

Palinor Tyne Avatar

The economy system is not currently implemented (I believe it requires quite a bit of AI programming and they only recently have some one who can devote more time to that). Ideally when implemented NPC Vendors/Crafters would resell a certain amount of crafted items, give some items to other NPCs (IE loot or other vendors), and in the case of crafters use some crafted ingredients to make their own items. For example, Annika the blacksmith in Soltown (who is currently in need of ingredients to make items to defend the town) could make Soltown Defender swords which would say co-crafted by all the players who sold her crafted ingredients that were used to make the sword. The tailor in town to help her(Edwin the Tanner) could craft and sell Soltown animal collars which could then in turn be sold either to avatars or to alchemists/mages in other towns. Different taming collars could be made by using animal collars crafted from NPC's and avatars familiar with certain types of animals (would probably require an animal watching journal listing that could have a small number of default animals based on player creation options). For example Soltown animal collars could be made into Ardoris rabbit/deer/bear taming collars (possibly listing Edwin the Tanner as a co-crafter along with those avatars that made the ingredients for the original animal collar) and eventually end up being sold by the general equipment merchant in Soltown for starting animal tamers. Different alchemists/mages may also have slightly different recipes for taming collars which would alter the max level of a certain animal type (for avatars this might be at least partially based on crafting skill).

Delivery quests similar to the current mail delivery could pay avatars for delivering a number of NPC crafted items (say 10+ animal collars) to other vendors and avatars could even be payed with either one of the items delivered (animal collar) or even an item crafted by the receiving vendor from one of those delivered items (a taming collar). With every type of item available from general vendors, avatars could then play a part in creating trade routes by having the option of being a supplier or distribution service, guards for a similar NPC service, or travelling merchants buying low priced items from one vendor and selling for a higher price to another vendor or avatar. So instead of the current chaotic pricing system items would then have regional average prices based on supply and demand which would then force players to not sell items at unreasonable prices. It might even be possible to add to items a variable informing players of an items current average price depending on what town they are in. For lore purposes this variable could be updated when talking to a guard/town crier/or other NPC (for example asking where to find the cheapest collars in town). A weekly business newspaper or almanac could conceivably be published by someone who travels to many towns recording the current averages.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    GreyMouser2 and Link_of_Hyrule like this.
  9. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Really awesome ideas I like that the NPCs would actually work together to craft items sold at the vendors or written with players to craft part or all of the items. This could definitely for together with the tier list I created in the op.

10. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Ok Taming right now is in its Infancy, hell it is still a fetus actually.

pets are all the same a Tamed Obs Bear fights as well as a Tamed plain old timber wolf, at least against each other?

Taming collars are VERY hard to make because the resources are very hard to get - well actually only the silver is? The rest is not all that hard. What you are seeing now is stuff players have been given so we can test stuff out.

Yes they need some tweaking, I firmly belive that one use per try is WAY out of whack, they shold only expire upon a successful tame or say 10 - 15 attempts.

As for tiered yes, A plain leather (cloth) collar should be all that is needed for a dog, cat, chicken, etc

As you go up more ingredients and more complex ones should be needed - and still NO they should NOT be on NPC vendors (I know testing, if that is all you want ask someone for help)

The stronger your tame the more complex the collar should be - Top Battle Pets - (Hardened Leather, with Fustian stitching, a Silver or Gold Binding, and at least one Gem if not Two ore more and RARE gems) ((again only consumed upon a Successful tame or say 10 - 20 fails)) ((( Hardest Tames should net even have a chance to tame thow unless the tamer has achieved certain levels - not a % as the color should last for a while trying, but lets just say level 30 or higher for a Obsidian Bear, and then 10% which could eat up a collar or two before success)))

The reason there are combat pets all over is there are an abundance of collars and you can tame from safe locations after beating pets down, so not much risk. My last Large Polar Bear was tamed on the first try after beating it down to no visible health left :-(

Your concerns for taming are valid but NPC collars are a no go - sorry.

Also I have done ALOT of testing with taming so far - and still have ALOT of collars left over if you want some holler at me "Grumpie Weinine"

11. Palinor Tyne

Palinor Tyne Avatar

Too late to quibble over it, the devs have long said that the plan is to have all manufactured items in the game be crafted, sold at NPC vendors and found as loot. The recent postmortem even mentioned the possibility of theft from pickpockets. You may also in a future release have a chance to lose items upon death, prompting players to be more careful about their travelling inventory and investing more in the use of homes or banks for storage. These are some of the risks that go along with the creation and maintenance of any trade route both in the past and present day. The devs have even mentioned the goal of having rain affect the durability and nature of some items. So if you carry a non-magical book or map it may be damaged or destroyed if you are caught in the rain and non-magical iron items might become rusted:(

12. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Yes sold at NPC after they have been invented and crafted by someone in game. They will not just appear :) If a player makes one and puts it on a vendor then possibly they might start appearing elsewhere :)

Player driven economy - nothing will just pop up on a vendor. When the game launches there will be very little to be found on vendors, if anything :)

13. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Although I'm sure this is somewhat true right out the door vendors will have certain items until the player craft economy can self-sustain. Anyways I'm sure this next release will be a lot better we'll just have to see how it goes! I was finally able to craft a couple collars but really they are incredibly hard to craft at this point and I hope the very very basic collars use ingredients other than silver like I talked about in my OP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.