Taxable vs Tax-Free?

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by ship2, Nov 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Numa

Numa Avatar

That's actually not a bad idea.

2. ship2

ship2 Avatar

My first response to this was deleted because I didn't have arguable points to respond with. Perhaps if I rephrase better.

I don't have an argument. I have a question. How does raising my taxes improve your game play or improve the game in someway? Why do you care how much I have to grind during the day to maintain a house? Why have taxes at all, other than to purge resources from people don't even play?

3. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

what you have quoted is my opinion. I too own a lot deed with taxes.

You seemed upset so I also provided a helpful way to quickly get gold in the part you did not quote. I have the rest of my posting here.

4. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

The existence of taxes places a value on home ownership, someone who won 40 deeds in the lottery can't go claim 40 lots - it's too much for one person to maintain through gameplay.

The existence of taxes was also a large part of funding the game, a tax-free lot's value is worth about triple a taxed deed's value. And in large part is the reason why a city lot was 1050 in the store, but a tax-free pledge with a city lot was 3800.

And again, taxes are very cheap for the lower tiers - they're low enough that the first two tiers of deed (row & village) are completely free to maintain by taking 30 seconds to go visit an oracle and buying Cotos with the gold. I'm not going to say they're way too cheap, just that they're very affordable.

The reason for taxes is not just to purge resources from people who don't even play (I'm still not quite sure what that means). There is an ongoing cost to owning a house (Cotos), but you can avoid paying a "subscription" by spending a bit of time in-game raising gold for those taxes. For those who do not want to grind - they can buy Cotos from the store, which further supports the game and continued development. Or they can support the game with a larger upfront pledge/bundle cost. There's no monthly subscription. I would have been fine with one instead of the add-on model, but it's not the path they chose to go with.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    MrBlight and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  5. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

A few weeks in and anyone can make 5 to 10k an hour just basic farming.
    Plus the free 500g a day, taxes arnt hard to pay if you play more then 1 time week.

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  6. ship2

ship2 Avatar

Will trust that is true, I'm definitely not there yet. My heartburn is that this cost goes to nothing useful that I can see. I'm not spending it on in-game stuff I can use and/or benefit other players through the purchase of their merchandise.

Using cotos, I understand. That generates revenue for portal. Me whacking mobs to simply pay a virtual tax does not make sense to me. If I ever get my hands on a plot I'll probably go with cotos for that reason.

My sincere apologies if I'm being thick. I make no claim of being the sharpest knife in the drawer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.