Taxable vs Tax-Free?

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by ship2, Nov 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ship2

ship2 Avatar

I'm sure this is covered in a helpful doc somewhere but I can't seem to find it. What do these terms mean in reference to POT lots?

Thank you!

2. lollie

lollie Avatar

• Taxable means you have to pay a daily amount to retain the position (the lot itself, you keep the deed forever no matter what).

• Tax-free means you don't have to pay a thing to keep the spot (spot being the lot the deed is placed at).

Same tax rates apply for both POT lots and NPC/PRT town lots if a deed is taxable.

Here's a link to a Player Housing Primer.

Here's a link to info on tax rates - Official Housing Tax Rates

Sean Silverfoot, Numa, Gaelis and 8 others like this.
  3. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Sean Silverfoot, Numa, Gaelis and 8 others like this.
  4. ship2

ship2 Avatar

wow taxes for a village lot are 1000 gold per day? That is in a POT too? Or is that [hopefully] in a prime town spot?

I was hoping a taxable spot in player owned towns were a discretion by the governor.

5. ship2

ship2 Avatar

just re-read Lollie's post. 1,000/day seems ridiculously high, judging from how much I'm struggling to raise gold to keep in gear and learn crafting. Here I was shopping for deeds!

Thank you for the response before I bought something!

6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

All deed taxes are to the game - does not matter where in town you are located.
    On top of that some governors demand something extra above that - but most don't.

Yes a village claim is 1000g per day, BUT it can be paid in Crowns as well at 2 Crowns per week. Such crowns are currently traded for about 1800g on player vendors etc. So about half price if you use them for deed taxes.
    AND if you check in with the Oracle you get 500g per day. So if you log in for 15min per day you can get 3500g per week just from the Oracle and then trade that roughly with players for crowns and pay the taxes that way.

EDIT: Not implying anything - just trying to help with workarounds.

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Also to ease the pain the Devs have given us an opportunity to collect 500 gold a day, plus 500 xp from the oracle, which is the octogonal/roundish type building with red eyes ;). Just click on the word test and wait for it's question. So for me I am following the courage path/since I am a warrior type character, I click on test and wait for the question from the oracle and if she mentions the courage path in her question I type 'yes I do' and if she mentioned love or truth path I say 'no I don't'. and then I get 500 gold and 500 xp. I hope that is not confusing and let me know if I can help anytime. Welcome to Shroud of the Avatar, I am Majoria in the game. I would be happy to help :)

8. lollie

lollie Avatar

If you can't afford a village lot tax rate, just start with a row deed and claim a row lot with it. The daily Oracle gift of 500 gold a day will 100% cover the tax. You can even buy a village deed and claim a row lot using that, if you want to futureproof your deed purchase for when you start making good money in the game.

A row house has loads of space to store items in and decorate, can have a ton of fun with that quite happily :)

Here's a link to info on getting your daily Oracle gold - Guide to Farming the Oracle

9. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

To add to what @Spoon has already said, if you want to collect the 500g a day from the Oracle you need to "pass" the test, but this is simple as pie. When you talk to the Oracle, type "Path of Love", and the Oracle will tell you if she thinks you are doing a good job following the path of love. Repeat this process by typing "Path of Truth" to learn what the Oracle thinks of your virtue standing with regard to Truth and by typing "Path of Courage" to learn if the Oracle thinks you are courageous.

Armed with the proper answers, now type "test" to take the test. The oracle will ask you your opinion on whether you think you are doing good in one of the three virtues. You must give the Oracle the answer that matches her opinion of you.

You can earn an additional 100g by visiting a town and talking to the town crier for the first time.

10. ship2

ship2 Avatar

Yes me in the Oracle are great friends. She's been funding my crafting habit.

So the taxes are associated with the actual house, not the lot?

Is it true that in higher levels the thousand gold per day is a trivial amount?

11. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

It is associated with the 'claim' of the lot. Which means the size of the lot claimed. House does not matter.
    Correct, but it also depends on your playstyle.

12. lollie

lollie Avatar

The deed you own determines whether or not the lot you claim will incur taxes. If you have a tax-free ANYWHERE row deed you can claim a row lot anywhere (NPC town, PRT or POT) and never pay taxes. If you have a tax-free POT row deed you can claim a row lot in a POT (only) and never pay taxes. If you have a tax-free ANYWHERE village deed you can claim a village lot or smaller (so a village lot or a row lot) anywhere (NPC town, PRT or POT) and never pay taxes. And so on. All should be explained in that link on housing I left up there.

As for gold earned, if you play a bit you should be able to cover the taxes okay for larger lots. Some people play a lot and do loads of trading (ingame as well as RMT) so for them 1000 gold a day or paying taxes in COTOs certainly is trivial.

13. Womby

Womby Avatar

The tax applies to a claimed lot, regardless of whether or not you have placed a house on it.

At higher levels you should be able to gather a minimum of 3,000g for an hour's work. Many can achieve much greater amounts. (I know I can.)

14. ship2

ship2 Avatar

Thank you all you've been extremely helpful!

15. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

One thing to remember,using a Gold Crown of the Obsidian to pay taxes is currently the best way. Each one gives 3,500 gold toward your taxes. So even if you buy them from someone and pay 2,000 gold,you will have gotten yourself 1,500 gold ahead by paying this way. They are also sold on the add-on store. :)

16. ship2

ship2 Avatar

So at 2 crowns/week if you went by the add on store exclusively , it's like an $8/month sub for the luxury of a village house. That's not so bad

At least until I'm making crazy amounts farming.

17. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Currently Crowns in-game cost around half their gold value in rent. So you can currently get two crowns for at, or less than, 3500 gold (1750 gold each).

This means the daily Oracle Bonus completely covers your rent of a village deed if you purchase crowns then apply those crowns to your rent.

It is to be expected also that you will become "better" at earning gold over time as opposed to owning a village lot on day 1.

18. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Taxes are way too cheap!

500 gold pieces a day from visiting the oracle really makes the house lot tax minuscule to gather the rest.

I can kill skeletons in a level 1 area in East Perinneial Trail and make 500 gp easy with a new character (not toon!). Selling the collected weapons from each trip through maybe takes an hour at most. Usually 30 minutes.

19. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

@ship2
    If you need a place to live while your thinking about your own deed feel free to message @Themo Lock . He has a PoT and rentfree rooms on a rowlot :)

20. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

@ship2 if you send me a PM on the forum i can set you up with a either a space to live for free on one of my properties or an area to place your deed in one of our many towns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.