The Blue Roof Inn ... an experiment in PaxLair for towns and new players

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Winfield, Aug 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

We will be expanding on this OP as we consolidate more information.

In PaxLair we are creating and experimenting with operating an Inn of several Row Houses (already purchased and placed) to allow people (without house deeds) to live in a community (town), get to know people, try out housing, crafting, fighting, adventuring, and more.

We are experimenting with what is called The Blue Roof Inn.

BLUE ROOF INN:

Located in the SW portion of Downtown PaxLair:

[​IMG]

For the Blue Roof Inn, I added several people as Trustees to all of the buildings there -- 8 row houses, a pavilion, and a meeting hall.

The Goal: To help new people, without lot deeds, to work as part of a community, craft, have storage, etc. and get help from others as they adventure, learn the game, etc. It is for people without house lots so they can experience living in towns, not just sitting by their bank.

More Details: We are working on processes, procedures, permissions, weekly guest lists, etc.

The Pavilion and Meeting Hall are just for the trustees to work in, establish, and run the Inn. They are useable by the Inn's guests in the row houses, yet we will be working on ideas for new permissions to run Inns better down the road.

The trustees can check people into row houses (by making them Kindred to the row house), schedule future use of rooms, set up crafting and welcome baskets, decorate the rooms, etc. Each row house comes with a 5 story basement too. We cannot separate permissions for rooms or boxes yet, so guests who trust each other, can be put into one row house together.

We will probably have some of our trustees running guest registration, so all trustees don't need to do this. There could be a waiting list. There may be some rules about how long a person can stay. We don't know yet.

A visitor to the Inn made as Kindred to one of the rooms can do whatever they like with the row house, including redecorating, etc. We can consider all furnishings we trustees place in the Inn as 'gifts' to the new players, the guests of the Inn.

Whenever some guest is placed on Kindred in one of the Row Houses though, we want to get their Forum Name, so we can keep in contact with them at least each week to see how things are going, offer ideas for community events or learn what they want to do in SotA. We will need some books made for each house explaining some rules ... like if one disappeared for some time, we box up their belongings and store them away until they return... if there is a waiting list of course.

So there is a lot we can do here for the Blue Roof Inn!

Current Blue Roof Inn Trustees for all the houses are the following. We call them the "Inn Crowd".

Celestial Knite
    Doctor Shroud
    Gaelis Trajan
    Gurney
    Gypsy Mary
    Jiirc Overshoes
    Jon Nihil
    Minerva -- added August 11, 2015
    Sea Bear
    Sean Silverfoot
    Stryker Sparhawk -- added August 9, 2015
    Themo Lock
    Trelass Selarts
    Winfield (owner)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  2. Selene

Selene Avatar

Really cool idea! I look forward to seeing how this experiment works out!

3. Gurney2

Gurney2 Avatar

Well it appears that im still alone to set it up with my own ressources (including gold). I didnt received any help of any kind so it could be slower than expected ...

Themo Lock and Winfield like this.
  4. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Great idea. Themo, let me know if there's anything I can do to help out.

5. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Actually I placed a few plants in all the buildings last night and a few beds.

Themo Lock, Gurney2 and Winfield like this.
  6. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

I hope this starts the conversation up about "renters" being able to zone to their lot.

Once you are added as a trustee you can zone to lot if you bind yourself to that lot stone somehow? Not possible for those who own lots as you could set up a network of recalls.

Edit: Nice work!

7. Gurney2

Gurney2 Avatar

hehe i havent visited all the rooms sorry. Well thats a start, im feeling less lonely. Do you think that all the rooms should be decorated?
    At this point i focused myself on decoration of the registering building. On the first floor is the registration room and on the second is the dining room for the customers.
    I dont know what we should do with the empty lot.

8. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Probably best to start there as the registration desk will be the first place to find an 'attendant' or we can leave blank notes.

Could leave a note for whomever feels they are providing guest coverage.

Will see if I can import a few more furnishings as well for at least the first floors of each building. The two closest to the registration building have a double bed.

9. Gurney2

Gurney2 Avatar

Great, just dont decorate the row buildings. The customers will do this themselves. We will put some décorations in a welcome trunk (like 1 single bed, a dresser, a light source, pièces of armor and weapons ) to get started. All we need are supplies to do that.
    Armors can be found in owlshead sewers from what i heard.

10. Gregoire Visaard

Gregoire Visaard Avatar

Gurney2,

As soon as I get close enough to land to get solid internet connection.
    I will be putting one of each crafting station in the pavilion.
    Also will take an active interest in the project as well. Just stuck at work for a few days.

11. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

You guys never run out of ideas.
    Nice idea!
    If that's going to be a string of hotels or something like that I claim the first offspring for Drakenhof ;-)

Themo Lock, Winfield and Gurney2 like this.
  12. Gurney2

Gurney2 Avatar

Woohoo ! Ive finished the décorations in the registration building. We have some sets of armor (thx Celestial Knite) ! I made an exemple of welcome trunk that will be given to the customers (new players that dont have a house). Theres still enough room to place flyers on the desk and player written books (like touristic guides) in the bookshelf.
    I'm happy!

Themo Lock, Acred, Gaelis and 5 others like this.
  13. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Great work, Gurney!

Themo Lock, Acred, Gurney2 and 3 others like this.
  14. Womby

Womby Avatar

I've been thinking about this. If I were to implement such a scheme, I would have a vendor selling books with titles such as:
    Room 5.2 1 wk rent from (date)
    There would be a piece of paper on the floor next to the entrance door of each room giving its number (in this case, building 5 room 2).
    Purchasing that book would cause a message to be sent to me as owner of the vendor, and a record of the transaction would be placed in the local bank.
    If I was not online at the time of the purchase, I would receive notification automatically the next time I logged on.
    The message would contain the name of the purchaser.
    Payment would be received in advance, and the book would be removed from the vendor, so the slot would no longer be available.
    I could then arrange permissions for the person for the specified period, without ever having to meet up with them.

15. Winfield

Superb idea!

We have a vendor at the Inn, and can move it to the Inn Office (0utside or inside) for registration. Our trustees on the lots can manage the registration system in such a way having one person place the registration books and check daily. This may be worth a try! and see how it works!

Thanks Womby!

16. Womby

Womby Avatar

You might also want to leave a book next to the vendor with the following information:
    - explanation of how the system works
    - who to contact if there are any problems
    - any rules that residents must obey
    - a list of local attractions

You could also place a copy in each vacant room. You might even want to charge for advertising space in the book. :)

17. Winfield

I hope to / plan to work on the Blue Roof Inn on Saturday during PaxLair working hours. 9 AM Central US Time which is 1400 GMT.
    • We can sketch out the registration system and try it with a vendor and such.
    • We can see who is interested in running the Inn.
    • We can establish some publicity method to bring in new players to use the Inn.
    • We have a village lot there needing some attention for deco and crafting tables.
    • We can make a small library of books for new people to read.
    • We can have a small library of "advertisements" for all sorts of player towns, player establishments, etc. inside and outside of PaxLair -- sort of a hub for advertising.
    See everyone soon!

[​IMG]

18. Kit Kimberlin

Kit Kimberlin Avatar

Looks awesome so far. Tempting to offer the services of a few gypsys to help facilitate this, but I imagine the patrons wouldn't appreciate being a little lighter in their wallets. :rolleyes:

19. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Started some deco on open village lot area. Will finish up later,

Themo Lock, Acred and Kit Kimberlin like this.
  20. unicornslady

unicornslady Avatar

Womby is trying to do a Yellow Pages in-game, you might wish to add your fine establishment to it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.