Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

The Homily of Perri the Unchained

Discussion in 'Release 53 Feedback Forum' started by Fister Magee, May 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I have done the quest where you get "The Homily of Perri the Unchained", and when I first got it, it was all in those rune script fonts, and I had to translate them into something legible... I really enjoyed doing that! Nothing like having to pull out a men/paper and finding the cypher and finding out the message within.
    Sadly, I just got one from release after resetting my quests, and to my disappointment, it is completely in English now, no runes! No need to translate... and this made me sad.
    Please restore the Homily to it's earlier state, Avatar's should be familiar with the Rune script and the cypher available to translate.

Sorthious and Olthadir like this.
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

They never HAD to do that. Select the text of any runic book, copy and paste into the text editor of your choice. It's just a font.

Sorthious and Fister Magee like this.
  3. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

No. Learning an made up lettering is way to geek for me...even me

4. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Protip: select all the text in a rune font book page (the color change isn't much, look carefully!) and copy it with control C, then switch to a text editor app and paste it there.

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  5. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

6. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I know about the pasting trick you all! I'm asking that the Homily be re-encoded in runic, as it is now in English only! It was immersive in it's own way, something that is beginning to go extinct in this game. What is the point of the runic translation stuff then, if we NEVER need to use it (yeah yeah, paste and you can see the english, but that's not what I'm talking about!).

7. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Ah, that explains why I never understood what the hell this whole Perry thing was until the end of the story!

Then when starting with an Alt, the book was translated, and I read it for the first time. Then I understood. I hadn't realized it was the same book until you pointed it out.

Well, if their goal is for people to understand a major part of the story, it seems like it is working.

What about giving some quests with books that need to be translated, but aren't central to the questline?

Elwyn and Fister Magee like this.
  8. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I see more and more of this in the game. Players complain about quests being to difficult, so everything gets simplified. Now, all you have to do is follow blue sparkles to your destination and collect your prize. Any simpleton can do this. I did the quest to get the Old Prospector Dance emote and the quest was all screwed up. I don't have the blue sparkles turned on, so I had nothing but the NPC's description of where his Lucky Nugget was located. He said it was in his house toward the West. I ran West, which took me right out of the map. I scoured every possible direction that could be considered close to West, and nothing. Not wanting to search the entire map, and due to bad quest descriptions, I had to cut on the blue sparkles to actually complete the quest. It turned out that the house was located in the South.

I understand some people want to do quests, and not actually do them, but I'm not one of them. I enjoy the challenge of figuring things out on my own. Unfortunately, due to lack of, or more often, no information as to where to start looking, players have to use the cursed blue sparkles to solve the quest. It would be nice if quests were actually quests, and not mere following blue sparkles and maps to get a prize. That isn't a quest. For those of us who enjoy the satisfaction of using our minds to figure out puzzles, or complete quests, the current questing system leaves much to be desired.

@Fister Magee , I was fortunate enough to be able to do that part of the quest(I forget which path it was), before they made the change, and I was thinking at the time, "Finally! Something in the questline that wasn't just "Go to Point A, then B,etc.....Collect your reward!" I have no problem with there being quests in which a player simply needs to follow blinking signs, but can we at least have some real quests for those of us who enjoy the challenge? With that said, I did enjoy some of the new quests to get the Blessings. It would be nice to have more of those!

Verit and Fister Magee like this.
  9. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Sorthious likes this.
  10. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Perhaps they translated it to english as default because noone else has the cypher (unless they use the wiki?)? There should be an in-game version available to everyone that is found along the way, or perhaps Arabella hands you one?

Sorthious likes this.
  11. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

They should put the Runic Alphabet in the Player Manual.

Fister Magee likes this.
  12. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I at least figured out where the hill was (after half an hour on the far west side of the map), but I thought those didn't look like the house where an old prospector would live. Then I noticed the sparkles for both buildings that I had previously considered and rejected. Novian NPCs tend to live a bit more communally than 21st-century humans.

I'm gonna have to say that main quest background information in Runic, without some kind of magic translator thingy that was obvious on how to use it, is just a little bit too hardcore.

Fister Magee likes this.
  13. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Perhaps, I can understand the newer types of gamers needing something less hardcore. All I know, is I sure enjoyed it! Note: This was before I learned the copy-paste trick some 10+ releases ago... which by copy-pasting, makes the whole thing trivial anyway!

Sorthious likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.