The Lost Banners: Is there Lore? (Some Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Olthadir, Dec 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olthadir

Olthadir Avatar

I was searching through the East Longfall Wetland for a bank key and found an intriguing puzzle with some stone pillars. After about a week of searching around the swamp I was able to uncover the secret and was rewarded with the Banner of Honesty.

Not too long ago I decided to check out the new Elysium Mines, they looked cool in the pictures and I wanted to see for myself. I saw the puzzle there, figured it out and eventually survived the combat at the end of that puzzle (yay me, I was so thrilled that I survived!!) and obtained the Banner of Justice.

There was a named mob in the Banner of Justice quest, and some odd mobs in the Banner of Honesty, along with the bandits and such... but in all my searching through these areas (especially Elysium Mines) I did not learn anything about why the banners were where they are.

I gather that the Banner of Honesty was stolen and the bandits involved were infighting, one group hid it, the other tried to get it. But where did it come from originally? Why did they steal it? Was the first group who stole it and was hiding it actually good and decide to protect it? What changed their mind if they did?
    I suppose with the knowledge I did gather, that it's good enough unless I do some real digging, maybe talking in Aerie or other towns, but nothing would come up (I assume... if I am wrong, PLEASE let me know!)

The Banner of Justice was a little more disappointing. The Elysium Mines are a lot of fun. I like the design and enjoyed wandering around. But again, who was the spirit in the locked temple? Why was it in there? Why was there a guard, and why did I have to move the mirrors to unlock it? The two biggest questions I had were:
    1) why in the name of all the gods are there so many traps! It seemed like this was a ruined city. If so, why trap every hallway? If it wasn't a town, then why build so many buildings and then trap them all? To keep out whatever was in that final room? If so, I REALLY want to know what is in that room!
    2)Why does the final guardian have the Banner of Justice? It seemed like he wanted to kill me, but why? Defending the Banner of Justice? Did he steal it and keep it in his tomb? Was he protecting it and went crazy?

I love unanswered questions, and the fact that there are so many is a good thing, but I figure someone somewhere might know. And if I spend enough time in the Mines of the swamp, I figure I'd come across something to help figure out what is going on, and why these seemingly important objects are there.
    Some unanswered questions are good for quests! I would have had all these questions if they were all answered there for me. Sometimes it's best if we don't know, and have to assume some things. But in the case of the Elysium Mines, there was next to nothing.

I also know we are not released and the game is a work in progress. As such, this is a 'something to think about' thread.

Has anyone found anything that I missed? I'm reasonably attentive to details, but there is also a lot that slips past me (like the locations of the various stone keys in the Wetlands... for literal days...).

2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Well stated, @Olthadir , well stated and good points all !

Olthadir likes this.
  3. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

The banner was stolen by bandits in wetlands, I think there was a story for justice as well.

4. Olthadir

Olthadir Avatar

Where was the Banner of Honesty stolen from? Where can I learn about this? Why was it stolen? ANd more importantly, why was it stolen and then put in a submerged tomb?

And where do I go to learn a bit more about the Banner of Justice?

If there is lore about these (and other banners) I am very curious where I can go to start learning about their history and why/how they ended up where they ended up.

FrostII likes this.
  5. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I think it was one the notes for the wetlands ones, and maybe there was a note about the justice too.

6. Olthadir

Olthadir Avatar

I read the notes in the wetlands, but felt that they did not quench my curiosity as much as I would have liked (which is both a good thing and a bad thing.) I was hoping there was someone who noticed the Banner was stolen, r had a tale to tell about the bandits that stole it.
    Granted, the Banner of Honesty was much better than the Banner of Justice because I had a general idea what happened. The bandits stole it, some of them wanted to keep it for themselves and they hid it (rather complexly, I might add). But why did they steal it in the first place? They mention in the notes that it is a treasure of great value. I think it has value, but why do the bandits? I want to hang it in my house as a sign of my faith in the virtues, why do Bandits want it? To sell it? Then why hide it in such a complex trap, guarded by bogmen?

I have not found a note in the Mines and spend the last five nights exploring it, mining and killing undead within and have not found a note. I'm by no means perfect and might have missed it. If there is one, can you point me in the general direction?

Browncoat Jayson and FrostII like this.
  7. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

This ^^^ ;)

8. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

The idea that in LB games everything has a purpose or a reason to be there, has long been abolished ;) I would love to hear some answers though.

9. Olthadir

Olthadir Avatar

I am hopeful that this isn’t the case. The game isn’t yet complete (though we are getting close) so these final touches may still be coming.
    I hope this gets looked at so there are reasons for things!

CatherineRose likes this.
  10. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

What one man considers treasure may not mean the same for another. The bandits considered the banner as treasure..thinking that it was of value to someone. Probably the magistrate at Aerie Castle. Steal the rich man's banner and he will pay a ransom for it later. Or someone else might pay a ransom for it to be in favor of the nobleman. Who knows why thieves steal things. There is always some reason for everyone's actions.

11. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

This isn't a complete answer to the original question, but I wanted to add some thoughts from the dev side: Some of the virtue banners have an obvious backstory (e.g. the Banner of Love from finishing the Solace Bridge Outskirts quests), others have a vague without giving much details, and a few hint at being part of a situation that has a solid connection with it's associated virtue (or anti-virtue). My goal is to eventually loop back around and put in some sidequests that overlap with the banners that don't have any. There's more to the scenes where the banners are awarded and it's going to be fun sharing those extra story bits when we get back around to them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.