1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

The Making of Norgard Fens

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by SorcerousSteve, Jun 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SorcerousSteve

SorcerousSteve Developer Emeritus

Hey guys! SorcerousSteve here to give you a first look at the uncloning of the Norgard Fens.

A large inspiration for certain areas of the Norgard Fens came from the dark swamps featured in movies such as The Nerverending Story and The Princess Bride. This particular area featured below is dark and musty, vegetation has stopped growing, and it is littered with quicksand pits.
    [​IMG]

The home of the Beldame of Norgard Fens. This wretched crone makes her home deep in the swamp. Rumours abound that she likes to abduct children...
    [​IMG]

This Kobold camp located on the eastern side of the Norgard Fens is in a slow state of decline. Initially established as a scouting camp to research psilocybin it has started to slowly succumb to this unrelenting landscape. Disease, and starvation face the few kobolds who manage to hold on while research on the mushroom species continues.
    [​IMG]

Large open areas covered in fallen logs, tall grasses, and low water can be found throughout the Norgard Fens.
    [​IMG]

Stay tuned for more as we continue developing the Norgard Fens!

- Esteben Zaldivar
    Level Designer

Saosis, DancingShade, Acred and 16 others like this.
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

Doesn't everybody, though?

Are we going to ever see things like kobold skeletal remains, kobold corpses ?

Daigoji Gai and SorcerousSteve like this.
  3. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

looks good, and kobolds with disease don't have a Meretz-account - I am sure of that ;)

SorcerousSteve likes this.
  4. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Now if its Princess Bride inspired, you just need two bandits dueling each other, left handed....!

Inigo Montoya: You are wonderful!
    Man in Black: Thank you. I've worked hard to become so.
    Inigo Montoya: I admit it. You are better than I am.
    Man in Black: Then why are you smiling?
    Inigo Montoya: Because I know something you don't know.
    Man in Black: And what is that?
    Inigo Montoya: I am not left-handed! [switches to fighting with his right hand]
    [The two continue to fight, until the Man in Black is backed against the cliff edge]
    Man in Black: You're amazing!
    Inigo Montoya: I ought to be, after twenty years.
    Man in Black: There's something I ought to tell you.
    Inigo Montoya: Tell me.
    Man in Black: I'm not left-handed either. [switches his sword to his right hand]

5. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

They already made that area from the movie with the cliffs of insanity. Uhmm... Elads lighthouse scene I believe.

6. SorcerousSteve

SorcerousSteve Developer Emeritus

Hey guys! SorcerousSteve here to give you an update on the Norgard Fens!

This week I have been focusing on polishing up the POI's and working with Dan on all things necessary for the puzzles and interactivity in the scene!
    Below we catch a glimpse of the witches home situated above the quicksand pits of the Norgard Fens.
    [​IMG]

A cave in an undisclosed part of the swamp where the Beldame of Norgard Fens brings the children she abducts.
    [​IMG]

As mentioned in last week's update the Kobolds have set up a camp in this area with the purpose of studying the mushroom species. Here we get a glimpse of a captive psilocybin behind glass that is getting gassed as a method of containment.
    [​IMG]

On the other end of the Norgard Fens deep in the heart of psilocybin country one can find a natural arena where players can choose to battle it out with mushrooms.
    [​IMG]

This system of burrows, gullies, and mud cliffs are the perfect home for the mushroom creatures.
    [​IMG]

There are plenty of nooks and crannies ready to be explore in the Norgard Fens!
    [​IMG]

Stay tuned for more on Norgard Fens!

Esteben Zaldivar
    Level Designer

7. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

You guys are putting in some really nice work. I only hope stuff like Upper Tears undead wave becomes the norm! :D

Suggestion... storm the castle waves, protect the village waves, etc. Waves of enemies are great if you mix it up, and maybe put in a random boss End wave! :D

SorcerousSteve and Daigoji Gai like this.
  8. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

I wouldn’t mind a mushroom equivalent of upper tears so I could maybe get one of those super rare toadstool chairs after killing a few thousand :)

SorcerousSteve likes this.
  9. Brent S

Brent S Avatar

Am I the only one who can't see these pics?

10. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Haha, i need to hang out with these guys!

11. redfish

redfish Avatar

Nah, you also need Rodents Of Unusual Size , ie giant rats ;)

Witcheypoo and SorcerousSteve like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.