The Master’s Guide to Agriculture (Part 2/2) -Final-

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Adrian (Kung Fu Master), May 18, 2018.

?

Useful guide?

1. Yes

93.3%
  2. No

4.4%
  3. Undecide

2.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulskanine

Ulskanine Avatar

Just had to ask. And i agree with you on the Agriculture system, would be a real shame if it wasn't expanded on to great lengths. As i am a country boy IRL, i have a fondness for farming/Animal husbandry. Would be a waste for them not to take advantage of peoples fondness for Farming games and implement a true farming system into SotA to draw in even more people.

2. Ulskanine

Ulskanine Avatar

Just had to ask.

3. Adrian (Kung Fu Master)

Adrian (Kung Fu Master) Avatar

Made a guide to answer your question.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ture-guide-to-indoor-basement-farming.131305/

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  4. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

A terrific guide to creative planting techniques! I'll have to try some of those when I put my empty lot into a pure agriculture state... but until then, here is another method that I picked up from @LordEnglish from this post.

I had limited space alongside my Knight Marshall Benefactor Village Home. I believe I could fit 1 long planting bed on the side piece of land where it wedges in... but that's only 20 planting spots. So, when I figured I could put 4 Doric Columns with 30 planting pots on each of those in the same space as the 1 planting bed... that's what I did and here's how it looks:

[​IMG]

I used some brewing barrels and some ice blocks so I could jump up to be able to access the center perch point for my planting/watering.

As you can see, that yellow circled area is the sphere of my planting/watering skills range and it covers a large portion of this layout. I'm able to cover the entire 120 planting spots with just 6 strategically placed clicks!

If I wanted to, I could add another layer higher (or perhaps a few more ?) by making more sets of columns and pots (minus the 4 on the top pedestal) and stacking the columns on each other. I tested the max in offline mode and I can do 4 columns high with 4 pots on the top of the 4th one. Or, I could remove the 4 pots on top and stack 5 columns high! [Note: there is a stacking max of 5 items on top of each other. The actual height is not limited, only the # of items stacked.]

So, assuming I had a means of accessing them all to be able to plant/water them... the max I could fit into this same space would be 520 planting pots (each column would have 26 pots x 5 columns high = 130 pots x 4 sets of stacked columns = 520.

I doubt I would ever go that high because the access part for the higher columns might not be feasible... but for an open lot with room to put column-and-block "stairs" you could probably reach the outdoor deco limits on just about any lot. ;)

5. Adrian (Kung Fu Master)

This is an awesome method. Thank you for sharing with all of us. If anyone has anything else to share, please do so as we all want to make the Agriculture community better than yesterday.

6. Adrian (Kung Fu Master)

Sorry, I got carried away with this new method. Here is my setup, and you only loss 2 deco item count and got 473/475 deco in a village lot. [​IMG]

7. Lained

Lained Avatar

Whilst I commend the ingeniousness of all this I think basement x10 growth rate should apply to those under the top planters.

8. Adrian (Kung Fu Master)

I find the Doric Column technique to be very hard to hit all the spots. It's possible to hit all the spots, but the time consumed isn't worth it. I'm going back to my old layout, but don't let this stop you as you find your comfort zone. There is no right or wrong answer in the layouts.

9. Curt

Curt Avatar

So will someone be able to copy the hanging gardens of Babylon?
    And if not what would be needed?

10. Adrian (Kung Fu Master)

It's possible to do that. Just let your imagination run wild and you'll get the Garden of Babylon. You will need a lot of columns and stone blocks.

11. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I don't seem to be able to stack up large planters on top of the blocks, is this still allowed?

12. Adrian (Kung Fu Master)

It's still allowed. You need to read my tips to get it to work.

Jaesun and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  13. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Haha, nice! I never even thought to try and stack planting beds.

14. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Here is my version of the hanging gardens with the planters used as roofs( can go 3 times higher ) on the left and right side of the garden . (Great Tutorials Adrian learned alot from them)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    Alioth, Rentier, Jaesun and 3 others like this.
  15. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

guys, I just couldn't stack up the large planters.. it looks like the rock has to be in the middle of the planter in order to be lifted up, but I still get red highlight on the object. What did I do wrong? Is there a video that I can try to follow?

16. Adrian (Kung Fu Master)

You need to be inside a rusted greenhouse in order to do that. In a swamp POT, you don't have to use the rusted greenhouse trick.

17. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Jaesun and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  18. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Sorry to spoil the Party, i dont like such sort of "exploits" it's somehow immersionbreaking and reminds me too much about efficency is all and most important .
    But the whole game and majority of the community is like this.
    Sad, but who i am to judge it.

From a neutral aspect: good guide anyway

19. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

I believe it was already stated that once you start going up more then 2 levels you start losing farming efficiency. That means you can have 5 large planting beds on top of eachother you will still have to do same water /harvest as if they were neatly lying on the ground ( whats below 2 stacks requires more sow/water cycles) this only helps in case you dont have the space but you have the numbers.. yes its about efficiency but the work done is the same if not more.

20. Adrian (Kung Fu Master)

Stundorn, thank you for your input. I did notice on your other threads that you don't have time to play agriculture so this could be another solution to your limited game time.

Exploitation definition can be different on how people interpretation. As long was we stay within the Devs parameters (Deco counts and water time requirements), we don't see this is an exploitation. This is an efficient way to farm which yield the same output as if you would do the horizontal farming. Also, Elrond is right on the effectiveness loss as you go higher in elevation.

Exploitation is when someone broke the deco limit counts and reduce the watering time to gain more crop outputs is crossing the line. This does not break any of the rules. Furthermore, the planter beds do not stack on top of each other. They are elevated with a supporting object between the planting beds. Most people that are not familiar with Agriculture will make this assumption as I have seen this in the past. Happy farming, my friend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.