The New Trend & New Way Portalarium Earns $$$ - ???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kazhkrut Throquuk, Aug 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kazhkrut Throquuk

Kazhkrut Throquuk Avatar

Observations...

One of the biggest exchange currencies in-game besides in-game gold coin are COTOs. Every since COTOs hit the shelf in the add-on for $85.00 per 100 COTOs I have seen nothing but COTOs on every vendor around! Okay, perhaps not every vendor, but I think at least 75% of the vendors would not be stretching the imagination by a bit!

It seems also since COTOs are now one of the BIGGEST in-game trade currency, patches have made making gold MUCH longer to accumulate a decent amount. We have had several members testing the average gold per hour and it seems like effectively soloing the average income is 2,000 gold per hour or perhaps slightly, and I mean SLIGHTLY more, depending on your play-style. Now it seems if you are a gatherer you may make more money depending on how self efficient you are by killing and farming.

Now to me, depending upon your lot size taxable deed you own, you could need to fight anywhere from 15 minutes up to 1 hour and 45 minutes PER DAY to be able to pay for your daily lot fee. Most of your casual players may have up to 2 hours, maybe 3 during a work week if they are not looking to spend much quality time with there family and of course much more on the weekends. This being said, they could spend up to half of there playtime grinding for gold just to be able to pay there rent, OR they can buy COTOs at a fraction of the cost and not to have farm for gold nearly as much OR better yet we can now buy $85.00 in COTOs and potentially pay for a months rent with no problem.

So does anyone see what is happening here? I understand that Shroud of the Avatar needs to make money, but I don't agree with the way it's happening. People are buying COTOs off the add-on store just to turn around and make in-game money. There is a rule against buying in-game gold with RL money, but let's sell them COTOs to turn around and make in-game gold, not much different in my opinion except you are taking an extra step to have to sell the COTOs now.

I think they need to up in-game gold, let's spend more time enjoying the game rather then making it a daily job to have to farm gold to pay for rent and let's find many more things we can spend these COTOs on besides Book of Unlearning and Obsidian Potions. I'm not looking for this to turn into a pay to win type of game but the route things are headed now it sure feels like it's going to end up that way unless Portalarium does things a little differently.

Now I understand, everyone is not going to agree with what I have to say and I don't expect you to, however, I wanted to voice my opinion and my observations and I think it's a smart sales scheme on Portalariums end to make more money but you're making us poor, casual gamers suffer for it and allowing the people with lots of money end up on top.

Thanks for reading, feel free to voice your opinions BUT please try and keep things professional and clean.

*note - Another thing, the current tax rates are based off the old 10-12k per hour. Why have tax rates not gone down after gold went all the way down to 2k per hour approx. 1/6 of what it used to be? Portalarium said they would adjust taxes based on gold income per hour and yet it has not. The above again I believe explains why the tax rates have not gone down.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  2. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

As long as the sellers are selling them under 2000gp, I'll be more than happy to buy them. Taxable lots ain't gonna pay for itself and any gp counts for me.

It's one of those "you pay, others wins".

TranZdog likes this.
  3. Selene

Selene Avatar

4. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Think of owning a house as $15 / month. This is normal for an MMO. Instead of paying the money directly, you have the option of killing lots of wolves instead.

The market may be out of whack but I suspect they have some number in mind that they're trying to balance to.

Stahlknecht and Baalice like this.
  5. Vagabond Sam

Vagabond Sam Avatar

If i think of it that way, after buying at the add on store a long time ago, the system is very greedy.

Beno Ledoux likes this.
  6. TEK1

TEK1 Avatar

Interestingly enough, I brought this issue up right when CotOs were announced and argued against its introduction to the game. I got a LOT of push back in calling it the new gold standard and the negative effects it would have. The only progress made in that discussion was Portalarium was forced for the time being to stop allowing Gold Crowns to be exchanged for gold at the crown vendors as previously there was promises to never do that.

The following thread is one of the several threads where it is debated. Interestingly that I got a lot of pushback and denails in this thread for saying they were selling gold directly (which they were) and how things would eventually play out as they are right now:

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/gold-selling-disappointment.52033/

Xandra7 and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  7. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

False premise based on missing data.

The vast majority of Crowns come from pledges getting a bunch for free. Those are the ones you see everywhere on vendors.

This since the pledges got Crowns on a scaling rate vs the pledge tier.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  8. TEK1

TEK1 Avatar

lol false premise? That thread Portalarium was trying to say they were not selling gold directly, which they in fact were as you could exchange Gold Crowns for gold. My argument paved the way for that bad decision to be changed.

Also, at this point you don't think that CotOs are not the gold standard premium currency that I predicted it would become? Very interesting.

9. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Uhm? o_O I was talking about the OP. How could you construe that being directed versus your post? It makes no sense as a response to yours. I think the change that Crowns couldn't be turned into large quantities of gold directly on NPC was a good one.

I will add a quote to the post to make it more clear what that false premise was.

10. TEK1

TEK1 Avatar

That's odd, I had a forum alert that you had quoted me on that. I apologize then. :)

Spoon likes this.
  11. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

@TEK1 that is likely a bug. I have had that problem as well with a post to which I responded but was not the OP. I got tons of alerts that people responded to my post, when in fact they were responding to someone else. :(

12. TEK1

TEK1 Avatar

Now that release is imminent, has that number been reached?

13. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Let's not necro old threads. Again, nothing has changed here, we've only clarified our policies this week. If you have any questions or concerns on those, please feel free to ask us.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    Antrax Artek and Sway like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.