Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

The New UI ...

Discussion in 'Release 55 Feedback' started by Cherico, Jun 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cherico

Cherico Avatar

... looks more modern then the "old one" - thanks for the overwork ;)

The grey border is okay, but the real borderless elements, like chat and inventory, are very very nice :)

But: the chat-settings-tab (click on small gear-icon) are not readable ...
    This pop-up-window needs a more opaque background (or make it blurry - thats very modern today).

And: please make the font of the "skill-description" (mouse-over skill) bigger and better readable then the "this skill gains experience/not gain/etc." - or remove this info, because it's not (so) important that it needs a bright and big font!

Thanks!

2. Cherico

Cherico Avatar

And: are the skill-icons are lose saturation and contrast?
    They are look pale and dark and ... sad and sorrowful ... :(

3. mass

mass Avatar

I'm noticing this too. I'd probably get used to it, but it was better before.

4. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

yea, was just wondering whether it was something we needed to, get used to ya'know?

The main objective was to make the interface 'disappear' s much as possible, and allow the game world and Avatar to take over.

5. mass

mass Avatar

In that case, I wish the quest list was 'off' by default :p

6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I really like the new interface. It’s way less intrusive!

7. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

Character menu - armor and equipment slots are too small

Skills and other menu's - Transculent you cant even see the text

Combat bars - Way too small

Compass bar should be a different color than the text

8. Schroedinger's cat lives

Schroedinger's cat lives Avatar

We need a UI scaling function slider big time!

9. Hawkwind

Hawkwind Avatar

Can we have an option to make the UI background opaque? I am finding the new UI hard to see depending on the background. When I open my inventory I want to see what is in that window, I don't want it to disappear into the background.

Perhaps it is that I am older and my eyes aren't what they used to be.../shrug

10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I agree, I think the best thing about it is that it kind of disappears now, which is great.

Jaesun likes this.
  11. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Just bind a key to the toggle for it. I set mine to left-ctrl keypad-minus.
    Or at least a transparency slider.

Witcheypoo, Hawkwind and Aeryk like this.
  12. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Depends on what size screen you are playing on... laptop screen they are perfect.

13. Gix

Gix Avatar

It’s competing with the concept that we need to see the glyphs that get drawn.

I’m a huge fan of minimalistic UIs, but not when it’s hiding/fading vital information to the player.

It’s this contradiction in design that makes it sloppy.

Elwyn and Aeryk like this.
  14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Generally speaking.. have to agree it's much nicer now. Granted I didn't really have anything against the old look and I don't care what's "modern" or what everyone else is doing. I think each game needs to find it's own thing rather than features being clones for the sake of being like everyone else. That said, there's also usually a reason why something becomes popular.. hopefully that reason is because it works.

Anyway.. I have a pretty um.. sizeable screen and can see why someone might say the combat glyphs are too small.. on the other hand, I don't mind. Just saying. I also have no problem at all reading the chat settings.

What I am sure people would absolutely love though.. is.. rather than a scale slider.. more of individual resize option on otherwise static elements. Like how we can resize the windows.. be able to resize something like the combat glyphs and have it scale accordingly.

15. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

The glyphs now feel a little too … dirty. To use an analogy, they used to visually pop like chrome wheels. But now they are coated with just a little too much brake dust.

Elwyn likes this.
  16. oplek

oplek Avatar

I'm not even sure I'd call it "the new UI". It's UI that has had some polish, with more to come - an ongoing effort.

Nietzsche and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  17. redfish

redfish Avatar

New UI? Its the same UI except with silver instead of gold and softer borders :D

I think the changes are in the right direction, though. The biggest problem with the heavy gold borders, in my opinion, was that they took a lot of visual attention away from the game. Silver is softer than gold, so it doesn't do that as much. One of the more general principles in UI design is not to make the chrome so heavy that it distracts from the content.

Elwyn and Aeryk like this.
  18. mmikelas

mmikelas Avatar

For whatever reason I find the fading edge of the paperdoll very distracting... no matter where I move it around on my screen, my eyes are constantly drawn to it - making me think as though i'm missing a mob or something... Would still love to ultimately see the ability to collapse or hide the paperdoll and just get the stats at the bottom since it takes up so much space and do you really need to see yourself that often while playing? I've always preferred a complete minimalist approach to my screen real estate that that certainly plays into my bias...

Nietzsche and Pebbles like this.
  19. mike11

mike11 Avatar

I like that how overall, there is a dark and softer kind of color to the GUI. The character portrait I thought looked fine beforeI do miss the gold highlights from before.
    . Chat changed the look but did nothing to address what players are complaining about it.
    Still, have the pointless icons in top right and the usless icons on the right. Not to mention the swap decks bar while on the overworld.. Oh why don't so many abilities work on the overworld... Why don't they work here?

20. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

The UI update does look nicer over all. It gives the game a little different feel (just ever so slightly) and the extra contrast makes it a bit more readable. Overall, I think it's a win, but now to nitpick:

1. I'm not sure the exact Release it happened, but some of the UI icons (particularly the Upper Right icon menu) went from a more realistic, duller, or subtle look to a more bright and cartoonish one. I personally prefer the look of the ones from the Early Releases.

2. The glyphs are small and if it can be done, I would recommend a scaling option so people can set them to what is comfortable for them to use.

3. I personally like the darker glyphs as well as the darker UI as a whole... but that's just a personal preference and not meant to simply tell anyone else "You're wrong, they look better now"

4. The Compass text needs to be a bit brighter and stand out... the grey is a little too dark there.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.