Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

The problem with combat vendors

Discussion in 'Release 38 Feedback Forum' started by Mishikal, Jan 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

R38 replaced a significant number of Blacksmiths with Combat vendors. This is significantly problematic, especially for new, low-level characters as selling equipment is one of the primary early on ways to make gold. Since Combat vendors pay less than Blacksmiths, it becomes that much harder to acquire any gold. The Combat vendors should be updated to match the payout a Blacksmith provides if this change remains.

2. mass

mass Avatar

This doesn't seem to be the case in Spite; our combat vendor is the better purchaser.

3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

if you did not shop around different towns it was clearly stated early on, it is location, not vendor, that sets prices, some place offer more for certain items.

Note to ALL who look at this SHOP AROUND same vendor in different places have different pricess - always has always will.

4. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Sorry, you're incorrect. Blacksmiths always pay more for armor/weapons, regardless of location.

Caree Death likes this.
  5. mass

mass Avatar

I literally just compared prices in Spite yesterday. The combat vendor and blacksmith are in the same building, so it's easy to check. Unless my equipment list reordered between checking the price offerings from vendors, the combat vendor was obviously higher.

I think blacksmiths were commonly the higher paying vendor, but there are some exceptions. Particularly if it's crafted items (but my previous comment is from looted junk).

Numa and Weins201 like this.
  6. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

I never noticed yet that vendors pay different,so it must be marginal. Can You give a % difference of payout?

7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The blacksmith in Parrot's Roost only pays 80%.

8. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

If you want an easy test, go to Soltown, and test selling to the reagent merchant and the blacksmith. You can also try Estgard, with any of the non-blacksmith merchants there, and the blacksmith there. Etc. It was easier to see the difference before they pulled out so many of the blacksmiths. There's a reason it shows up as a tip when you log into the game...

Numa likes this.
  9. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Interesting.. I've always gotten higher prices with the blacksmith anytime I've compared between the blacksmith and any other vendor. But Spite is not a place I generally visit. ;)

10. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Hm, well, I stand corrected... Prices are varying for me between visits even at the same vendors. :/

It does seem that combat vendors in POT's consistently pay less than anyone else however.

For the moment (not necessarily static), I get the same price from both Martin (merchant) and the blacksmith in Soltown, which is new (36% payout (36g/100g value))

11. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Same with Spite (36g across vendors). It seems to me they tweaked pricing in R38. ;)

Numa likes this.
  12. mass

mass Avatar

You get the same from the BS as the combat vendor? For all items or just a select item? For me, last night it was something like 8g/wand from the BS and 14g/wand from the combat vendor.

13. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Exact same price from both for the exact same items. Item price varies based on condition, so you have to be careful to use the same items when doing comparisons. I just carried the stuff all over the map looking at what I'd get. ;)

14. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

And specifically, I tested 2 wands and a bow, as that was what I had on me (loot drops)

15. mass

mass Avatar

Right, I was aware of the effect of condition. I'll have to check more carefully tonight, but I basically looked at the top 5 items in my list against the same top 5 items of my list between the two vendors and was getting higher values across the board with the combat vendor. I know that for things like a crafted wolf hat, there's supposed to be a vendor somewhere that pays top dollar for those things that's not a blacksmith, but that could have changed this release too.

16. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Yeah, I've no idea on crafted items at all. I've just been looking at loot drops. I was surprised to see that the general merchant in Soltown was offering the same amount as the blacksmith, and that their amount were equal to both the combat vendor and blacksmith in Spite.

mass likes this.
  17. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

It should be noted that this also applies to buying items from vendors. I noticed that vendors tend to sell items at a higher price, especially if you happen to be running low on an item. Thus, shopping around, when buying in bulk, can save you a lot of gold.

18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

They raise the price when a lot of people are buying from the same merchant. Check the prices in Owl's Head for a good example.

Numa likes this.
  19. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Yes, this discussion has zero to do with how the prices merchants charge fluctuate based on demand. This is purely an examination of what you are offered when selling items.

20. Gix

Gix Avatar

Are they actually called Combat Vendors?

Because, I can't make the distinction other than one guy sells the stuff I want and the other can just piss off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.