The problem with Sota from a casual players point of view

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lao Yang, Jan 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Watch all the streamers, reviewers etc. referring to the game as spiritual successor of UO and Ultima... giving up on that is giving up the game. I am not there yet, but we will see what happend after their true release.

2. mercster

mercster Avatar

Wait where's this boat that takes you to Central Brit docks?! That would be faster than walking through Central Brit! :)

3. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Last one at the pier, one of the not Red sails

4. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Oh man just stop crying already. Noone was feeling offended until you came along.
    If you read my comments I am open to all playstyles. Stop being postfactual.

Bow Vale and MrBlight like this.
  5. mercster

mercster Avatar

Because video games like this one are about challenges, and overcoming them. A successful MMO presents different players with different challenges!

Vallo Frostbane and Budner like this.
  6. mercster

mercster Avatar

Wait is this outside Kingsport or inside it?

7. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I miss multiple recall spots.. but i also think the map travel is less of an issue then other current things.

Why is there housing farther away then prime locations? Almsot like location is going to add value..... . . ..

Ideally population will be high enough that not everyone will be in prime locations.. hense creating a housing market. It makes sense that some housing will almost be inconvenient.

Takes like 4.5 min to run from ardoris to owls head, load times being the kicker. Once optimized i imagine it wont feel as painful.

8. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

But you can't force player interaction as SotA also offers a single player mode and it should be possible to continue with quests and the story in SP mode without having to join others, fight others, grind etc.

9. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Tell me, oh please tell me...
    For what exactly do you want to team up for?

For CPs? The Rise? Brittany Sewers?
    What's the point actually after you have seen theese once? For XP? Only CPs.
    Why should i go into The Rise or Brittany Sewers more than once? There is nothing i or anyone else needs from there.
    Same with pretty much all other Zones in Novia and Hidden Vale.
    The only exceptions are the Bosses for the Spells and maybe for the Bone Armor if someone wants.
    Nobody also really cares about the Obisidian stuff you can craft in Hilt.

There is nothing you really can find or need in this game currently but Gold, Ore and XP...
    And that's the reason why people only hunt/gather (for the most time) in the same zones:
    - Serpents Foothills
    - Twins Foothills
    - Deep Ravenswood
    - Savrenoc Stronghold
    - All mines for Ore
    - well and Control Points

And what do you want to trade besides Gold, Cotos and Ore?
    Almost everyone has his own crafter to craft his own gear.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    Fister Magee and MrBlight like this.
  10. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Well, I'm one of those old UO players too and I learned, since beginning of this project, that this is not the successor. So, think about it; is their (Port) fault or people's fault expecting to see something different? Tell me when, and where, Portalarium told us that SotA is the successor of UO.

You need to ask yourself what you really waiting to find in this game. That's the key.

Six months and I did not complete yet all Cps, nor The Rise. After six months I still have pve content to do. Where is the problem? oh, hardcore players playing 8-10h/d are in need of more content. Ok, sounds fair.. oh wait, we are in a Early-access game.

Seems like the concept of early-access is still new for some people.

Stundorn likes this.
  11. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Port said is several times. Not only to UO but also to the Ultima series. Their official business partners are marketing it as inofficial successor to UO. I never expected it to be an exact copy, but in the same spirit. That spirit of Ultima is missing in several aspects, and over time that hopefully changes.

MrBlight likes this.
  12. mercster

mercster Avatar

I really wish they would lock down the skill trees, somehow, to make people specialize more. Want to be a crafter? Fine, you can't fight. Want to be a fighter? Fine, you can't craft.

GrayFog, Bow Vale and MrBlight like this.
  13. Numa

Numa Avatar

Weren't SP Offline players supposed to have access to companions just like in the Ultima series? Has that changed?

14. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

No it hasn't. But will I always have to find other players when I am in SP Online and have to go through a pass?

15. Rada Torment

Please Vallo, link any official word from Port saying sota is the successor of UO. At this point I need a prove of what you are saying.

Ultima successor and UO successor is like trying to compare the day and night. In half of your last comment you talk about uo, not about Ultima serie rpgs.

16. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

No, you are wrong.
    The content is not the problem. We actually have content.
    The problem is that the content makes no sense to run/adventure with friends, guildies or whatever...

And Early-Access? are you serious?
    They want to go in BETA this year...
    When do you want to test all the critical stuff?
    In Beta?

MrBlight and Vallo Frostbane like this.
  17. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Nope. Your post hits to many highly issued points. You know when i say the devs need to elaborate on their longterm gameplan a lil better regarding stuff? This is some of them.
    Self sufficient = no player economy.
    Limited types of resources, no plans of new ones mentioned ( only speculation). No reason to explore or buy..
    Blah to many real long term questions in this post that so far the answers r player speculation.

Honestly 95% of game u can do solo. That includes crafting. At this point i grup with guildies only to help kill bosses, and to socilaize. The xp n gold per hour is ALWAYS better solo now. Heh
    Forced socialization at its best.

Fister Magee, Numa and GrayFog like this.
  18. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Quite a variety of opinions here, which makes you realize how hard it must be for the devs to make travel-related design decisions.

For me personally, having now played well over 2 years, the inability to recall to multiple bind points (like in UO) has pretty much wrecked the playing experience especially when joined by a few other major issues (boring combat, worsening load times and contorted XP system).

Current travel system makes it nearly impossible to support the best vendors in the game. Because these vendors are scattered and difficult/painful to access due to the Port's misguided devotion to regional economies, they are not visited. Which detracts from the playing experience, detracts from the buying and selling experience, and ultimately hurts crafting. Very often I'll visit a town, find a good vendor, and never return to that vendor due to inconvenience. Whereas if I could bind to that vendor he'd have a regular customer.

Aside from this vending issue, it's simply very boring to make the same damn walk to your favorite scenes. It is not immersive to me. It is punishing drudgery.

I hit a wall last week, wondering why I was continuing to go through the motions of dull travel, XP grind via uninspired combat, mind-numbing harvesting times, slowwwww scene loads, getting sucked into low-level random encounters, control points and unsatisfyimg crafting. Yeah, that's a lot of issues. Almost all of which have to do, in one way or another, with time sucks/delays that could and should be improved:
    • allow us multiple bind points
    • shorten harvesting times dramatically
    • shorten scene loads (this has been described as a priority but has actually worsened in my experience)
    • shorten crafting times dramatically
    • let us bypass control points
    I see a lot of new content each release and innumerable tweaks to various systems. Obviously the devs are working their asses off. But my experience has become quite dull and since I know the general direction and character of the game's most important systems, and haven't seen meaningful improvement (or change in direction) of these systems, the game has pretty much run its course for me. Just too much down time in this game twiddling your thumbs instead of having fun.

None of this is new. Just my last two cents on these issues.

Clockwork armor, meh. Give me a better-paced playing experience or lose me.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  19. Rada Torment

If we are talking about group content, yes, I'm agree with you on that. We need a lot of new group content, and they are working on that.

20. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Or atleast don't allow to have tons of GMs...
    But it is to late now i guess, dunno.

MrBlight likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.