The problem with Sota from a casual players point of view

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lao Yang, Jan 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

For the most part, yes.
    But there are so many more things...

2. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Also Rada..
    The reality is, your slow compared to ehat i would call the average gamer. ( not an insult ).
    I play with completly casual to hardcore gamers. 6 months to hit the rise or cps? You need better guildies.
    14 days for buddy to hit gm x2. ( hardcore)
    1.5 months for a VERY casual, deco loving grandmother we play with to hit the point for the rise.
    3 weeks for me and a buddy to have run end game.
    3rd day of new guildy we had run him through all the bosses..

I have a guildy who has LITERALLY spent 95% of his tiem mining. His intention is to gm all crafts. Just from the 1 -2 mobs he kills while doing that, he is well into end game..

Sorry, im with vallo. Just because you yourself didnt do it in 6 months, doesnt mean thr average person cant do it in significantly less.

Ill even argue that when u compare the average daily time a person who plays MMOs puts in... yea.

And please.. even if it hasnt been listed officially as a uo successor, they sure as hell let it be thought as such for their own benifit.

GrayFog likes this.
  3. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

New Britannia Awaits...
    Journey to the world of Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues, a computer role playing game created by the legendary Richard "Lord British" Garriott, creator of the genre defining Ultima series of computer role-playing games, Starr Long, director of Ultima Online, and Tracy Hickman, author of the Dragonlance series. It combines a rich story like those of the single player Ultimas with deep and varied multiplayer experiences like Ultima Online.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140210024734/https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/

Now STFU will you? ;) pwned ya.

Preachyr likes this.
  4. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Inside Kings :)

5. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

... like i said.. Vallo isnt wrong :p ..
    Even if they never use those words.. ( which they do ) .. they used it and use it as a marketing kick. Saying its an intended successor is right. And if they didnt want it to be, they shouldnt encourage it as such since kick staft.

6. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Fact of the matter is that I pledged because I liked both. UO and Ultima games.

MrBlight likes this.
  7. Rada Torment

No, maybe thats because you think all players have same expectations ;)

Let me tell you why I'm still enjoying the game even if I consider myself a PvP player. I have been playing since day 1 of persistance (plus previous wipe releases). This is what I did in all these months;

- Created my own guild (the sota division of the gaming community I'm part of).
    - Crafting and gathering, just because I like that too.
    - Being an hospitaller, so I can help new players and spend a bit of my game time with them.
    - I managed to bring 12 new players into my guild, so I spent a lot of time helping them to understand the game.
    - Helping guild mates to get a row lot, farming gold or making good trades to make this easier for my guild.
    - Started doing pvp since two months aprox, so much fun even if the pvp population is low.
    - Just a month ago started doing guild events to show them the group content; CPs, some bosses, etc. They are still low-average level for The Rise.
    - And had the opportunity to join and meet awesome avatars in this game.

So, you think I'm under average level? no, in fact I spent more hours than some hardcore players, but the big difference is that I have more goals and more things to do than others :)

Stundorn and mercster like this.
  8. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

@Vallo Frostbane who's crying the game isn't what he want?
    I just said you are one eyed, and you proof that many times as you aren't able to imagine to play with another attitude towards the game

i played hardcore PvP games and i still do from to e to time. I am not against the playertype itself but the attitude of most PvPers to break everything dow n to competition.
    If you aren't able to recognize other styles and attitudes just don't blame the , would be nice.

@GrayFog gratulations to be able to do everything of your own, but thinking everybody is able or just want to be able, is unilateral view from a "hardcore" gamer too.

9. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

You are not reading what I am writing... Else I cannot explain the stuff your writing... lets just avoid each other here. All you do @Stundorn is attacking me personally without any evidence. Stop the crap. If I hurt your feeling. Go offline and drink a warm beverage ;)

10. mercster

mercster Avatar

Yep...it's been said many times but I'll say is again: this game is not set up optimally for power-levelers, min maxers, etc. I hope they play the game and if they do, I hope they're having fun! But I don't think SotA will ever be the perfect vehicle for that sort of play. People have different likes and dislikes; we can try to be all things to all people, but will not succeed. Someone isn't gonna be happy. All Portalarium can do is try their best.

Rada Torment and Stundorn like this.
  11. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Hm dunno really, from my POV I see only people who powergamed to the top or some low levels... the mediocre crowd is in the minority... But that's just from my observation, no numbers to back it up ofc.

12. Rada Torment

Sorry but nowhere they said the successor of UO, just saying they are the creators of those games.

And plz, try to be respectfull and mature, I don't need anyone trying to pwn me in this community (we already have pvp for that and always nice to be killed by others), I left sooo many years ago that kind of toxic forum dramas ;)

13. Rada Torment

Seems like you failed trying to bring Port saying this is the successor of UO, but I still respect you. I feel your disappointment with some parts of this game.

14. Lao Yang

Lao Yang Avatar

So this thread seems completely derailed.....
    Can you fight each other somewhere else please?

Governor Tempest likes this.
  15. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

There have been so many things said about this game. It will be like UO, like the single player Ultimas, a single player game with the option to play online, a MMO... I think many are confused as to what SotA really is or wants to be. And fans always stick to what fits their vision best. But in the end SotA will be what it will be. Maybe no one will get what he wants or maybe we will all be surprised in the end...

Preachyr likes this.
  16. Numa

Numa Avatar

I agree with him, let's stick to the topic at hand

17. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

This game is about socializing in the first place or why they create and sell socializing hubs to the community other to build small sub community's ?

Of course the Game should not just be an expensive GUI for a lobby chat , but socializing, cooperative play and long term growing and exp!Print is what this game and many GA!Es are about.
    There are just a lot of players who aren't able to do more than pew pew destroooooy and next.
    They didn't get the sense of interactions if this interactions aren't support their character growing.

They cannot play without competition, they reduce playing to it, simple as that, otherwise the get no meaning from playing.
    Decoration or Roleplaying isn't their thing, they cannot get something from it.
    And unfortunately they not only cannot participate in playing this way, they completely ignore it and cannot get the point of it, because they lack
    the ability of playing non competetive.

@topic the travel possibilities show exactly this and what someone else stated already, to make your way, rowing encounters aren't obstacles, there are part of the journey you should enjoy and not circumvent, although i agree that they need more variations.
    Same for passes, they may not yet what they should be, but are necessary.

And if the skilled them weren't a source for very imbalanced PvP I would like them to be PvP controlled zones where the controlling guild can turn it into a red or a blue pass maybe, and yes this would make the game harder, and although I am very casual I would like it.
    But not yet under the actual circumstances.

I believe the hardcore gamer!See and serious PvPers as they haven't already gave up and quit will do when the game goes live and lots of things will change and make their powergaming obsolete.
    Just a guess, maybe I am wrong, but I often was right with speculations like this.

mercster likes this.
  18. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

I never said they lied... they just didnt deliver yet... Stop making up stuff. Kthxbye.

19. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

You wrote there is no need to team up and everybody has his crafter to make everything for oneself.
    This statement was given more than once by several people and I feel it is wrong, because i and many I know who aren't able or have that or need to team up for more than just bosses belong to "everybody".

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  20. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

There is no real reason or need to to team up yes.
    But that doesn't mean i can do everything on my own, nor that i think everyone else wants to do everything on his own...

Also, i will group up with others anytime they need my help.
    I am happy to group up with others. I just wish we were given more reasons to do so other than "roleplay" :p

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.