The top 10 things I'd ask Richard Garriott if I could get 10 minutes of his time.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Poor game design, Nov 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Here's the top 10 things I'd ask Richard Garriott if I could get 10 minutes of his time. Each of these questions would be followed up with a "Why not?" and "Please explain in more detail".

10. What happens when a player dies? (Death Mechanics)
    9. Can you please make (player housing) wizard towers that don't look "whimsical"? (Housing)
    8. Will there be ritual magic? (Combat and Skills)
    7. How do you ensure home computer security if using a Peer to Peer architecture? (Technical)
    6. How can you balance the online player economy if players are using "selective multiplayer"? (Economy)
    5. Can the unique hunting dog referral reward please be an Irish Wolfhound? (Lobbying)
    4. Can players loot other players? (PVP - Looting Mechanics)
    3. Will there be an in-game Bounty System? (PVP - Accountability)
    2. Will playrs be able to mint their own coinage? (Economy)
    1. Can players steal from other players? (PVP - Stealing Mechanics)

What's your top 10 list look like?

*Note: Yes, I would ask any of these before I ever asked him what being in space was like.

2. Knoxinn

Knoxinn Avatar

10) If a supply wagon leaves Owl's Head at 2:45pm traveling at 4 mph and another supply wagon leaves Kings Port at 3:15pm traveling at 3 mph and the two towns are 23 miles apart...why can't we have instant housing as @LoneStranger brilliantly outlined it here so it seemlessly works with the existing housing concept and everybody wins?
    9) With tailored made collars and alchemist enchanments, Animal Taming looks like the most expensive version of taming in gaming history...so as the kids would say "Why you be hatin' on the tamers?"
    8) Is it true that no one can hear you scream in space?
    7) Why were you screaming in space?
    6) Were you screaming in space because people new to the game may not accept that more than 80% of the people who play SotA will not having housing?
    5) While in space, could you hear our screaming over the fact that more than 80% of the people who play SotA will not have housing?
    4) With the Rhinoceros being hands down the most popular animal known throughout history, how many species will be in SotA?
    3) Will I be able to admire some housing that features stables, which I won't be able to afford in-game for months, so that I can show off my newly tamed Rhino's that will most likely cost me hundreds upon hundreds of gold coins in order to tame?
    2) I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 72...what is it?
    1) Realizing that writing in stone is difficult, has any thought been given to hiring on a mason that can chisel in an extra "II" or "III" under that Character Slot heading?

Hmmm...with hard-hitting questions like these it's a wonder how "60 Minutes" turned me down... :(

By Tor, BillRoy, Pendragon and 6 others like this.
  3. smack

smack Avatar

You know what, I think every forum category should have a sticky post with only questions. Perhaps a moderator could start one and everyone just posts questions there that can be consolidated in the sticky. No debates or anything. It would seriously help the devs see in one post what all the questions are left unanswered regarding that topic and answer whatever they can at the time. The community benefits as well so win-win? It would be a true community FAQ that can help feed into the official FAQ.

4. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Remember 10 minutes of his time is 10K. ;)

5. Drocis the Devious

I'm assuming that RG was unlucky enough to be stuck in an elevator with me. :)

Sir Gréagóir likes this.
  6. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

I suspect there will have to be an option to "not use my computer as a server". There needs to be a way to opt out of having the game run that on your machine. Beyond that if you leave it on, then yes security would be a concern if there was a backdoor of vulnerability in the code, now running on your machine and in communications with another machine, that would allow someone to gain access to your machine. Its definitely a valid concern and I think the option to turn it off should be there.
    maybe the game will support bit coin? :)

rild likes this.
  7. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

I think the experience so far has been 10 pages of posts a day, and the thread slowly dies with no more review. If devs were answering question on one thread it would become unmanageable due to everyone's overeagerness.

8. smack

smack Avatar

It depends on how the thread is moderated. Because as it stands, there's no way Devs (or most people) can keep up with ~300-400 posts per day. A lot of is great discussions...and some not so much. But buried in there are lots of great oft asked questions that may never be seen by the Devs.

9. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

So your saying the devs would only pay attention to this thread, and abandon others? If not it's just current number of threads + 1 for them to review. If you are, it just shifts the posts that would be made into that one thread. Either way, I don't think moderation is going to make much of a difference, unless you limit the amount people can post.

10. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

1) What is your favourite colour?
    2) What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen sparrow?
    Oh wait...

BillRoy likes this.
  11. smack

smack Avatar

Like I said, the key is in moderating the thread and removing other posts so the thread is clean except a single post of questions and links to their answers from the devs in the thread. People would easily see what's already been asked. Devs would easily be able to pick and choose what to answer.

The discussions in other threads aren't affected, as the devs would participate in them as they normally do. This is really a set of sticky posts in each forum category so that the community managers can use to better manage questions from the community to the devs. Having to wade through the noise of 300-400 daily posts is not the best way to go about it.

@FireLotus, @Rustic Dragon and the moderators...what do you think?

Mozzarella likes this.
  12. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Good luck with that.

13. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Why not ust start a Q&A vote section of the forum. Much like stackoverflow.

People propse questions, members get a certain number of votes to put towards questions they feel are "top most".

Best system I have seen that equalizes the weight based on how much each person feels it's worth.

14. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I think if you had 10 minutes of Richard's time, you'd only get one question.
    I would ask if I could go along on his quest for Genghis Khan's grave.

Asking about the game will just get you a rehash of what's already been released.
    The devs are releasing what is ready to be released, and are buttoned up on what is not ready.

So, if you ask about things that aren't public, the answers you'll get are, "We don't know yet", "We're still discussing that", "We hope to have that information out soon."

Lord Albert, Kuno Brauer and smack like this.
  15. smack

smack Avatar

Now that would be cool. I'd actually love to go on one of his 'expeditions" not just to that but to many other places he's likely to go again. Maybe even the ISS :)

16. smack

smack Avatar

Yeah, I thought about doing that ad-hoc just via the # of likes, but I would need thread moderation tools because of the eventual 10 pages of noise. I wish there was some limited moderation privileges that could be given to you by a real moderator, but only for that thread. It would help in cases exactly like this.

17. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Yea. Go adventuring with Richard would knock off an item on my bucket list!! (Added that when I was 10 years old)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

There's really only one thing I'd need to ask RG if given the chance.
    1. Might I interest you in purchasing this aquatic drake?

BillRoy likes this.
  19. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Fireangel likes this.
  20. Drocis the Devious

Rare are the moments we've gotten the answers we've desired without first asking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.