Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

The true cost of a single arrow is more than 67 gold pieces.

Discussion in 'Release 15 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Mar 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I get what you're saying, I've totally been down that road in my logic. But the economy is many more moves in advance than that. As soon as you fix one issue the whole thing blows up somewhere else. See my post above.

2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

2 chunks of coal = 6 gold Have to buy this :-( (hopefully will become a resource from Cooking or wood conversion)
    4 iron ore = 20 gold Free From Ore Nodes
    4 wood = 20 gold Free from trees
    1 chemical = 1 gold Ok actually have to buy this too (hopefully this will also become a by product from cooking )
    10 feathers = 20 gold Free From Chickens

;)So Actually they only Cost 7 Gold to produce, you just chose to buy them instead of play the game.

o_OI am sorry to drag to this to the PvP side but this is the MAJOR problem with working to cater to the PvP community, they don't want to actually play the game, and all its variables, they just want to be able to kill other players and still be able to make money and survive. :confused:

Now I do agree that ATM the resources and their amount are a little out of whack but :oops:

3. Drocis the Devious

So like, in our example we're saying that a crafter would get 33 gold profit. But that's capped and a very low profit margin. Because we can use other resources to presumably get more profit. So arrows are competing with wood and metal products and if we cap the profit margin at 33, or whatever. That messes up the player driven economy. All because we have this NPC selling at 2 Gold.

There's just not enough room between 2 gold and 1 gold. And I think that's what's wrong with the whole economy - but that's a different thread. :)

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  4. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Personally, I'd make it so furniture type items that are much less frequently bought are significantly more expensive. Boost the income for those items specifically because they don't sell very often so there needs to be a reason to actually craft them. In my example above, the profit for 100 arrows at 1 gp is a simple 33 gold if everything price wise was kept identical and only the amount of arrows made by the recipe was affected. It would still push crafters to the tables and chests and other stuff because 33 gp won't make anyone rich.

Ice Queen likes this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

I'm glad you brought this up Weins201. The reason this is incorrect is because players can take all that FREE stuff and sell it to NPC's for the total sum of 67 gold.

See, I went out and gathered all the stuff myself for "free". I didn't buy it anywhere. The point I'm making is that my choice after gathering was to either 1) Make 1 arrow that would've cost me 1 gold piece if I purchased it from an NPC. or 2) Sold all my resources to an NPC and bought 67 arrows.

See what's going on here?

docdoom77, Net and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  6. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Gotcha. I'm on the same page as you are now. My understanding is that ultimately the NPC will be buying/selling based on local availability up to a point which should help alleviate some that artificial cap. But yeah, having them having any type of price range would make the price of something like an arrow fluctuate quite high...

7. Drocis the Devious

I agree on the furniture.

The 33 gp could make someone rich if they sold a ton of arrows. But that's true of anything with a profit margin greater than zero.

I still have the concern that at the end of the day players are not just competing with the NPC that sells arrows, but they're competing with the NPC's that buy or sell anything within the supply chain. Because the smart traders will figure out what's the most profitable way to buy and sell resources and they'll just do that. Arrows that give them a 33 gold profit will not be very high on their list, and none of this will have anything to do with supply and demand.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  8. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

All they have to do is change the recipe to create 100 arrows instead of 10 from the ingredients

docdoom77 likes this.
  9. Drocis the Devious

This seems like a perfectly good answer...but here are a few questions for you to consider.

1. The NPC sells arrows for 1 gold. So how does a player undercut 1 gold and sell arrows?
    2. If you raise the price of NPC arrows to 2 gold, then haven't you capped the amount of profit a player can make to 33 gold per 100 arrows?
    3. If you raise the price of the NPC arrows above 2 gold, then won't that raise the price of arrows for the average player to something less desirable?
    4. All of the resources used to make arrows are also used throughout the rest of the economy to make many other things. Weapons, armor, furniture, etc... (we're talking about wood and ore here) So doesn't that mean that making other things will be more profitable than ever making arrows? Which creates an artificial vaccum that isn't impacted by supply and demand. Effectively you'd have players that created arrows because they wanted to save money for themselves but they'd never waste their resources selling mass amounts of arrows because it wouldn't be profitable enough, they could use those resources on something else that gave them a greater profit margin.

What this suggests to me is that we wouldn't be looking at 2 gold per arrow from an NPC, we'd be looking at more like 5 gold per arrow (if not much more), just in an effort to compete with the other items people could make with ore and wood.

Which means that players would either make their own arrows or buy them at EXTREMELY high prices. The more I think about it, the more I think it's just better to have NPC's sell arrows at like 150 gold and let supply and demand dictate everything else.

This would make archers natural arrow makers (for themselves). Which makes a lot of sense if you think about it. Yeah, I think that's what has to happen.

You heard it here first, I'm predicting that at launch arrows will be sold for over 100 gold by NPC's.

10. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

No. No. NO. All chickens must DIE. :mad:

Please kill any chicken you see.

This has been a public service announcement.

11. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I even kill chickens in SPO, so don't doubt my seriousness. Effing vermin. Please join The Cause.

Bawk!! Bawk!!! Arrggggg!!!!!

I love the smell of dead chicken in the morning.

12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

A lot of those problems are easier to make go away with a 3 tiered currency. Just saying. ;)

docdoom77 likes this.
  13. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Just because gold is valuable on earth doesn't mean it is on New Britannia, Have you seen the size of those nuggets? I dislike things that are complicated for the sake of complications. 1/100th gold could be the smallest currency, it's just on the screen anyway. Just put a decimal into play if it makes you feel rich.
    .67 Gold = almost 1 gold

14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

If it's not valuable in New Britannia then why use it as currency? I think it's well established that gold is valuable in Britannia.

docdoom77 likes this.
  15. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

paper is not valuable on earth, yet it is currency. Just needs a happy face of some important dude on it.
    Diamonds are valuable, yet not currency.

It's a number on a screen, not an actual item in game

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Ah but what you're forgetting is a couple things.. originally, that paper was backed by gold...and diamonds cannot be easily melted down to form coin which can be identified as currency but importantly, is the intention by the devs to allow players to mint their own coin.. meaning it will be an in-game item. Otherwise there's no value to being able to mint them.

docdoom77 likes this.
  17. redfish

redfish Avatar

Then why aren't houses filled with gold items ? ;)

Off topic -- but putting this in perspective -- one of the reasons gold is a valuable metal is because it doesn't corrode easily; pure gold won't rust or tarnish.

18. Doc Farnsworth

Doc Farnsworth Avatar

SHINIES!

19. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

I believe they have implemented a version of Chris Rock's gun control policy. The guns are cheap, but the bullets cost $5,000 a piece.

Dewderonomy likes this.
  20. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

I understand where you are coming from, but look at every single MMO that has multi-denominational currency. Within a couple years max all but the highest number is worthless. What's a copper worth in EQ these days? Or even a GOLD? It's all platinum.

Calling it gold is probably the only real problem I have with it. It wouldn't feel so odd if they called them "New Brittennies" or "Lord Brickels" (pennies and nickels...ha)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.