The turkey tamer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fedwook, Nov 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

[quote="DarkStarr, post: 73305, member: 19071"- Taming a creature requires a Taming Collar (made by Tailors).[/quote]

So, if I'm not a crafter or into trading/merchanting, I can't tame animals?
    Taming won't be "skill based" but will rely on what tailors make avalable and what they descide to sell it for?

Not cool...:(

Knoxinn and TemplarAssassin like this.
  2. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

You know that the Real cooks will need that recepie...

3. Keldrin

Keldrin Avatar

Well... being able to summon a weak creature once per week, has little value. It won't generate enough ingrediants for cooking to make it worth messing with. And it's a bit of a joke to fight with it.
    Guess that makes the cornacopia the way better item. At least it generates a food item per day. You don't have to carry it. Just place it in a convenient spot, and click it once per day.
    I'll mess with my whistle a couple of times, then it will probably end up in a chest in the house for the rest of the game.

4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

You didn't say anything about an undead turkey army! :)

Knoxinn likes this.
  5. Kilhwch

Kilhwch Avatar

Undead turkey corpse bombs.

6. Drocis the Devious

It's been done before. :)

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  7. Kilhwch

Kilhwch Avatar

Oh man, now you're dating yourself. Haha.

8. Drocis the Devious

That scene will never get old. I've actually been thinking about it since the moment the turkey tamer was announced. :)

9. smack

smack Avatar

Taming won't be "skill based" but will rely on what tailors make avalable and what they descide to sell it for?

Not cool...:([/quote]

Well, taming falls under the Forestry skill so technically it is. But it's shallow. It's a problem with the Gathering and Refining trees. There is no depth to them and they are each a single tree vs being a category with multiple trees. Each of the Gathering skills (Forage, Mining, Forestry, Field Dressing, Agriculture) and Refining skills (Smelting, Milling, Textiles, Butcherty, Tanning) really need their own skill trees.

Hopefully over time they'll continue to expand on Gathering and Refining. In regards to taming, yeah, would have loved to see more depth to it.

10. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

I think its a good idea to have interdependencies like that. The various game focuses - crafting, merchanting, combat, for example, should require and feed into each other. So you just shop around and find someone that can make you a collar. That interaction and interdependency is, I think, part of the fundamental game they're going for.

11. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Well, taming falls under the Forestry skill so technically it is..[/quote]
    I don't think tailoring will be under forestry, what I'm talking about is why do you need an item made by somonelse?

People constantly complain about not wanting thier hands held by a game, it's a common complaint and one that we've all heard countless times (one that many people here have loudly and frequently complained about)...and here we are going to be forced to hold eachothers hands by this game...

*I like mmo type games because I like to socialize some, but I am a strongly independant person. I take care of my own needs and don't ask anyone for anything and have zero intrest in 'wheeling & dealing' or trading. So I personaly find a system that un-nessesarily forces you into situations you find undesirable and deprives you of common game features if you can't or won't is poorly done.

12. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

The system is class-less. What's to prevent you from learning all the requirements to tame an animal?

rild likes this.
  13. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Programmers. ;)

BillRoy likes this.
  14. smack

smack Avatar

All gatherers (lumberjacks, miners, etc) need tools and to craft or enhance or repair those tools, you'll need to learn carpentry or smithing or ask someone who has those skills. So for taming, which is currently a forestry skill, you'll need to learn tailoring or use the services of someone who does.

15. Knoxinn

Knoxinn Avatar

Not cool...:([/quote]

Actually...it's worse. Here's the rest of DarkStarr's post:

-Taming a creature requires a Taming Collar (made by Tailors).
    - Taming Collar Quality influences Taming Chance.
    - Taming Collars can be enchanted by Alchemists to improve their taming ability.
    - Taming chance is calculated based on Creature Difficulty (Lions=hard), Collar Quality, Collar Enchantment, Forestry Skill, Gathering Quality Skill, Creature Health.

You forgot about the enchantments by Alchemists for the collars. So...the solitary ranger animal tamer types might want to cozy up to both tailors and alchemists...

BillRoy likes this.
  16. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

When I think, "hand holding", I think of the game holding your hand and leading you through every little step. i.e. big flashing quest markers over NPCs, quest journals, etc. That's hand holding as its guiding you through telling you exactly what to do in game. I don't think of this as hand holding, just creating interdependencies among the different disciplines and play styles.
    I think when you say "strongly independent" and "take care of my own needs" what you really mean is that you want them to give you a combat only game where you can access every feature you want simply through combat. You say you want to take care of yourself but you don't want to craft in a game where taking care of yourself involves crafting. There's still a choice there, craft it yourself OR get it from another crafter. Its not that its forced dependence its that the game isn't purely combat and I think thats what you're not liking. You're saying, give me everything in the game accessible through just one aspect of the game.

It seems to me their design is not for a combat-only game. The core gameplay won't be complete with just running around killing stuff and looting. You're only getting part of the game that way.

monxter and GimmeUOPlz like this.
  17. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Maybe indepth crafting isn't a thing everyone can do?
    Will you make them for me, I normally would never ask, but you brought it up...?
    Maybe neither one of us is entirely wrong or right, this is just a matter of your/my personal view.
    I may have said something along those lines but I never said I want them to "give" me anything. RG/LB has said that his game would accomidate all play-styles, maybe that wasn't entirely true exactly. Maybe I'll be excluded from some types of things, maybe others will too. That's not really unexpected and I don't have to agree with it.

*I simply disagree with the way this proposed system works, it is unrealistic to a comical extreme.
    Can you go to a pet store and buy a collar and just put it on any dog and then 'Presto' it's yours?
    Can you buy a large sized collar and put it on a wolf or lion and then expect that animal to be your obediant pet?

18. smack

smack Avatar

Sure, seek me out in-game as I plan on doing the entire crafting "loop" of forestry-milling-carpentry, field dressing-tanning-tailoring...and many others.

Indeed. Perhaps the system as originally proposed "worked" because it involved beating the animal into submission but that part was removed due to community outcry. Even still, it's not like you can just casually walk up to a wolf or lion and put a collar on it. What about luring, enticing, trapping, or even stealth skills, etc. I agree there could be a lot more depth to taming, but hey, it's early. We've got a ways to go and they can always expand on it in the future. But don't let that stop the great ideas around taming flowing here.

Margard and BillRoy like this.
  19. monxter

monxter Avatar

To me it seems taming is about the taming skill, not the collar, even though you use it to tame the creature. It's also more realistic than not using anything to tame an animal. See how they tamed horses for example, very hard or even impossible without the gear they use. Needless to say wild animals are never 100% tame unless they are breeded for many many generations like they domesticated wolves' descendants into the modern dog. So I'm not worried about the realism here, I like the suggestion so far.

- you can use alchemy to enhance your taming skill and the better the gear you use to tame the animals, the better your chances are, why not?

20. Knoxinn

Knoxinn Avatar

Hmmm...I don't know where I stand on the new taming information. As of now and as it was presented...taming is not just about the taming skill. Adding a collar made by a tailor (various quality levels) adds an expense that people that have tamed animals in other games are not used to. We do not know just how expensive or complicated these collars will be to create. We do not know if these collars are transferable.

On top this unexpected expense...throw on enchantments. We do not know if these enchantments are a one time deal or are permanent. And no way of knowing how expensive or complicated these enchantments will be.

We also don't know how many "pets" one can keep. A "true" tamer will always have his/her slots maxed out minus one (always have to have room for something special and unexpected). Collars and enchantments...animal taming just got REALLY expensive. Perhaps people with Dev+ access have known about this and have had time to process it. Us normal folk...you know, the uneducated, unworthy homeless...I think we're looking at it like we just went out to tame something, stepped in a bear trap, and found out that it will take about 3 bags of gold to get out of it. We need time to digest the fact that taming, which is essentially "free" in other games, will carry a hefty price in this one.

With all the gold it looks like its going to take to tame animals...I worry about the banks. You'll see bands of ranger-types going from town to town knocking off banks in order to get their next enchanted collar fix. Sad times. You'll hear "I just wanted to tame one more wolf. It was going to be my last one..." as the guards cart them off. Sad times indeed... :(

Margard and BillRoy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.