The turkey tamer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fedwook, Nov 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

The update said, "This unique indestructible item can be used to call a Turkey which is then automatically tamed.".

So it sounds like its a summoning item. i.e., you use it, and a turkey appears. Its not a matter of finding a turkey and using it to tame it. Then again, a true turkey call would just attract a turkey perhaps so maybe you need to find turkeys in an area and then this item will call them.

2. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

I wonder if there will be a limit to the number of turkeys you can summon in one day o_O You could have a massive Thanksgiving feast for the entire guild or a great distraction for your foes in combat (as Baralis pointed out in his post) :D

Jambo likes this.
  3. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

If it is just a cosmetic pet, a turkey isn't as cute as a baby bear-cub, or as cool as a cobra or wolf.
    If it is a unique ingrediant in cooking then technicaly it's "selling power" to allow it to be purchased in the real money-shop.

Maybe not enough information was given again?

4. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

That's an odd interpretation of "selling power" in my opinion.

What is the difference between the, let's say +1 whatever, that you get from eating a turkey leg versus the same level of buff from a chicken leg? With the turkey call you are special because, oooohhhhhhh, you have a limited item, not because you are now the 1337 master dread chef of DOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

licemeat likes this.
  5. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I would assume it has a cooldown on using it, and limited to 1 turkey at a time.

Although this is always good...

6. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Clarifications:

Taming is still being designed but here’s the rough outline:
    - Taming a creature requires a Taming Collar (made by Tailors).
    - Taming Collar Quality influences Taming Chance.
    - Taming Collars can be enchanted by Alchemists to improve their taming ability.
    - Taming chance is calculated based on Creature Difficulty (Lions=hard), Collar Quality, Collar Enchantment, Forestry Skill, Gathering Quality Skill, Creature Health.
    - Taming is done by using a Taming Collar on a creature*
    *WARNING: Taming collar manufacturers do not insure the safety of tamers when trying to tame dangerous creatures.

- In the case of this turkey call it automatically places a taming collar on the turkey.
    - Current limits for the Turkey Call is once per week (perhaps daily during holiday season) and only one turkey at a time (so no army of turkeys).
    - The turkey can be killed for it's meat and feathers.
    - While the turkey can fight for you it isn't very sturdy nor strong and a good single whack by just about any weapon will take it out.

acutman, Kuno Brauer, rild and 16 others like this.
  7. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

Thanks for the clarity!

8. monxter

monxter Avatar

Nice, taming is shaping up to be more versatile than I've seen before. I think bringing alchemy into this is a good idea, one more meaningful aspect to alchemists' work. And having several skills and variables regarding the success of taming bring depth to taming which I like. I hope you guys also plan to bring depth into hunting in SoTA!

9. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

What about taming multiple animals simultaneously? Is that something that is on the table right now or can we only have one tamed at a time?

Thanks for the reply!

10. Gabriel Nightshadow

Starr: Thank you for with providing us with more details regarding taming :)
    By the way, will we be able to tame dragons (see below)?
    I would think that would require a huge taming collar...and an extremely high skill level!

Jambo likes this.
  11. monxter

monxter Avatar

I sincerely hope that the dragons will be the ones taming us in SoTA :)

12. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

I am no bleeding heart, but I do think that taming should be done like a horse whisperer of sorts or a musical instrument (call) that soothes and convinces the animal to join you as a trusted companion rather than a collar against their will. A collar is seemingly more ruthless in nature...even though you are taking care of such animal and protecting yourself.

Margard, rild, Knoxinn and 2 others like this.
  13. Gabriel Nightshadow

TEK, I definitely prefer your approach to taming :) Still, this revised version of taming is apparently a lot better than their original concept...

Jambo likes this.
  14. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

so long as they are not so very oversized like your sig one :)

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  15. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

That's more of a UO way of taming. I'm glad they are trying something different. Hardly anybody cries about pokemon, hurt the enemy down to low health and then stick it in a cage (ball). Then allow it out only to fight. (Although Peta did make a game of their own about how horrible it is)

and yes gabriel, your signature is too big, it is currently 504px × 307px. 500x150 is the rule. edit: 550x150 is the rule.

16. vjek

vjek Avatar

My feedback for taming from the Crafting Mega Post:
    Some ideas for wilderness taming.

Simple outline of how it might work:
    • Find a target animal/creature in the wilderness.
    • Approach, entice or calm the creature (depending on the type of creature) so it is near to you.
    • Reward the creature in an effort to gains it's trust. (reward required is creature dependent)
    • Attempt to harness, bind, collar, tag, band, mark or otherwise identify or control the creature (rope/harness/collars/torc as tools)
    • If you fail, the creature responds either by running away, or attacking you.
    • If you succeed, the creature accepts you as it's owner, with a standard pet query/support/reward interface.
    As far as domestic creatures go, it should be almost trivial to "tame" them. Simply providing them with food should be enough. After all, dogs, cats, horses, cows, pigs, ducks, and chickens will do almost anything for their favorite treat.

Optional mechanics may be:
    • a huge variety of cooking/alchemy/foraging recipes to create the proper substance that will entice,calm and/or reward the creature. It could be varieties of blood for carnivores, aromatic plants/herbs (that you can only grow yourself) for herbivores, or combinations for omnivores/insects. Catnip is a simple example.
    • a huge variety of harnesses, collars, tags, bands, ropes and so on, made of cloth, wool, leather, plant-fiber, studs, dyed colors. Maybe giant spiders will only accept the highest quality woven silk collar, or you need eight arm/leg bands made of silver, encrusted with emeralds?
    Regarding implementation, use the existing pet system that's in place for combat. Even if it's as crude as:
    Once taming is complete, despawn the original creature, and respawn the pet in the same location as the original, with a particle effect/smoke for the transition.
    Even changing the appearance of an existing summonable pet to match the appearance of what was tamed would be a step forward. At least as a first pass, this should work. (maybe for alpha)

Once taming is done, training a pet (perhaps via Animal Husbandry) is a whole other mechanic, leading to War-ifying almost anything. War dogs, war cats, war pigs, war griffons, Giant War spiders etc. This could be done by exposing them to or involving them in, combat.
    Similarly, domestication of wild creatures could also be possible, leading into animal breeding and similar mechanics related to stocking basements/cellars/dungeons, and tying into being able to summon waves of them for attack/defense in guild combat.
    To clarify a little further, it seems reasonable recipes for harnesses could be spread out amongst the crafting professions. (metal torcs, leather collars, cloth harnesses) Lures/Baits could similarly require blood as a basic ingredient to lure predators, while plants (crops/herbs) could be used to great effect to draw herbivores. Learning which creature likes what could be part of in-game lore, learned from reading in-game books.

Using cooking, alchemy, farming, fishing and field dressing to obtain the required components also seems reasonable & logical. Making something aromatic (with appropriate 'odor' particle effects) also seems possible. Either making the creature less aggressive, or having it go to sleep entirely, (while encouraging gathering, refining, production and consumption) seems like a more robust and internally consistent system. (with respect to the suspension of disbelief and immersion)

It's just more recipes, and one final widget to use (to place on the ground) prior to the taming attempt. It could be entirely optional, I suppose, but there's some serious potential here for an innovative system.

rild likes this.
  17. smack

smack Avatar

Thanks for the clarification, Starr. One more though regarding killing tamed creatures. Will there be a hit to your virtues for killing your pets? I thought the system was designed such that killing wild animals for resources was OK, but if you tamed it, it became your pet. Thus, wouldn't killing "friendly" pets impact your virtues?

Margard and rild like this.
  18. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I actually think it's best if they dont' require too many professions be involved in taming. Unless it's the most powerful ability in the game and you need to use all of the crafters and gatherers to their maximum ability inorder to achieve mastery. But I don't think that will be the case here. Their lack of confirmation on dragons or other magical/bigger beasts for taming might mean Bears, Lions, Serpants might be the extent. Although taming a hippogriff would be nice... would we want warriors or mages to be dependent on every crafting class? I'd think not. specific crafting for specific classes is a bit better, the blacksmith and the warrior with the alchemist for buffing, the tailor and the mage/thief with the alchemist for buffing. The tamer and the tailor with alchemy for buffing. Seems to be there general method here. Also, the tailor can make cloth or leather.... it's possible all collars will be leather of various types.

19. vjek

vjek Avatar

There's no reason each collar type couldn't be generic, but at least have the option. In other words, the base item, before enhancement, regardless of material-type could be the same widget you interact with to attempt taming. I think it would be better to have multiple crafters be able to make that widget, rather than just one.

Also, there's no reason why NPC's couldn't sell inferior-to-crafted collars, torcs, or harnesses at extremely high prices.

Finally, mutiple options rather than funnelling through alchemy may be desirable. Cooking, Dying, and whatever passes for Jewelry or Enchanting could provide the same effect as whatever the Alchemist does.

rild and Kilhwch like this.
  20. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

From what I understand from looking at the trees an alchemist will be producing potions and enhancing items. That's their sole purpose. They also want to limit temporary buffs like potions buffs (per an earlier comment from Chris during kickstarter). You don't want to make an entire profession hardly useful compared to blacksmith and tailoring and carpentry. Although Cooking very well might be the least useful skill, unless that is where most buffs and regen come from and potions mostly do effects, such as invisibility, explosion...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.