The umpteenth map thread - functionality over form

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by docdoom77, Apr 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

So, I just saw this video from Dom John, which I'm led to believe is the inspiration for the style change to the map.

Now, I'm not a fan of the new art direction, but that's not what this is about.

I want to discuss functionality. The map in this vid is awesome when it comes to functionality. Regardless of the art style, I'm of the opinion that the following features, seen in the video above, are essential to the dual map system:

1) Camera control. The camera control in this vid really helps make the map a living, explorable space.

2) Animated Avatar. Even if it's more generic or stylized than your real character, an animated avatar who walks across the map is absolutely essential to making the map more than a fast travel system. The sliding shield system is an abomination. It ruins any sense of immersion regardless of art style.

3) The ability to move freely. The map needs the ability to be explored, not just clicked on. Give us WASD for our animated avatar.

2. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

If the free camera control, and avatar came back I could live with it. But what is shown in the video is still very far from what we currently have. I would take Dom Jon's 3D free control format over the current version any day. I also think replacing the Avatar with a "Flag Icon" is a huge mistake. I don't want to be a monopoly piece when I traverse the map, I want to see my Avatar like in the video above.

3. stile

stile Avatar

They used some of his ideas from this video, but not all. I agree that i like it better

Lord Baldrith, Margard and Time Lord like this.
  4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"I Like It!":D

"If I had a daughter, I'd send her to him!"
    I'd much rather see this in our game than the current flag system and "Yes it did make me feel more immersive"!

"Thubs Way Up for This One!"
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

5. Margard

Margard Avatar

I'm open to both art directions but definitely want to eco what @Docdoom77 is saying

I also want the animated figure back

In general I just want the art direction stay true to the concept art we have seen ...

6. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

I like it and i want to see my partymembers.
    Even with Skype it was difficult to coordinate where to go.

7. herradam

herradam Avatar

I'm in agreement with all of this.

The board-game aspect of the sliding banner is not appealing at all. It feels completely out of place and the exploration aspect is missing.

I'd also like to mention that in the absence of a one large persistent world, the overland map should really be playing a part in satisfying that exploration aspect of the game.

That, or the instance maps need to seriously increase in size.

8. Margard

Margard Avatar

If the mini avatar is brought back - how hard would it be from a tech / art side of things to allow us to "personalized our Avatar"?

- I'm thinking League of Legends / "Avatar Skins"

- Since we group in teams of 8 - Maybe we could start with a set of 8 "unlockable skins" (Possible inspirations are the schools of magic / combat / craftsmen )

- These could be tied to achievements

9. mike11

mike11 Avatar

I dont mind the banner. It seems like a setup for GvG or some sort of contested world fighting.

I think its purpose is mainly for group play.

Maybe when running solo use a avatar and when in groups use the banner.

Umbrae and Margard like this.
  10. Margard

Margard Avatar

Possibly group leader controls movement on the overland map for all 2-8 players? If they "split up" and take different routes to the same destination they run the risk of encounters.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. redfish

redfish Avatar

They want the banner so it can display the player's coat of arms... which would be a good thing even if they put the mini-avatar back. He would just be holding a banner or something.

As I said in different threads, I'm coming from an entirely different perspective. I'm not really concerned with a mini-Avatar, but I think a less paper-like feel would be better because it would better fit a things like night and darkness, and the ability to get lost. They could put darkness on a paper map; I just don't think it would make sense either visually or logically.

Margard likes this.
  12. Margard

Margard Avatar

They could pull night / day as if you are looking at a map at night with a candle ... could look nice with a paper map (so the circle of visibility would be the light cast off the candle)

But if they stick with the paper map - a green texture / tint ... "graininess" to it could make it look enough like terrain

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, possibly they could make something sort of work, it would just break the metaphor. "This is a map", but it doesn't function like a map.

Margard likes this.
  14. Margard

Margard Avatar

I like the idea of placing your crest on the overland map in some form ... but as it stands now - it seems "too minimalist" of an approach and does take away from my "In Hex Avatar" ... there should be some "continuity / semblance of continuity"

15. fumblefingers

fumblefingers Avatar

I agree with you , anything at this point would be nice. Chris said they were going to give the map some love, to win the player over. Hope Doc Doom77 CC his idea to them please.

16. herradam

herradam Avatar

The problem with using crests as identifiers is that only those founders pledged at virtual collector level would benefit.

Akeashar and Lord Baldrith like this.
  17. Margard

Margard Avatar

Without getting off topic - I believe that eventually that may be opened to other people for a price - the main obstacle is the people power to "monitor" the submittal / acceptance process

-- back on topic

Transitions matter a great deal - even if we get the perfect 3d/2d map ... we need great transitions

18. fumblefingers

fumblefingers Avatar

Not a fan of the banner-coat of arms, As i understand it, only one that can see your map is you.

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  19. redfish

redfish Avatar

We'll be able to see what hex our friends are in, and there will be some cases in the plot where we'll be open to do things like bounty hunting, directed towards other players.

20. fumblefingers

fumblefingers Avatar

That may be good, but with so many thing that arn't finished as yet . The friends i was playing with in R4 had no idea where each other were at any time in party..Its hard to say how something is going to work till we really see it working. That being said, i really don't like the paper map as it is .The idea of playing like D&D 30 years ago, is not a new way .

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.