Thinking about quitting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alrick, Jan 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alrick

Alrick Avatar

I really really want to like this game. I loved the old ultimas, and UO. This game just doesn't seem to have the same magic. Perhaps i am missing something. I have gotten 6 GM's. My character is relatively strong. I can hold my own with my guild when we go on hunts. Ive participated in several community ran PVP events etc.

I feel like both the combat, and the crafting are lacking. The only thing i feel like this game does well is the "second life" aspect. which in all honesty i am not a fan of.

The community is amazing, but i feel like we are all rallying behind nostalgia. Perhaps we need some real risk/reward.

I understand the game hasn't been released yet, but the core mechanics are set. its not the polish i am upset with.

these are just my jumbled candid thoughts. I would love for someone to show me different. This has been my most anticipated game since 2013

Disappointment :(

2. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

Sorry to hear that.

Since I never played any of the ultimas, and never played ultima online, I'm not hung up with any expectations related to nostalgia. I just like the game for what it is.

3. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

take a few weeks off from the game. buy some cotos and pay your rent for awhile, and just forget about it for awhile.

Check out a few new releases. slay the spire is a fun card collecting game, dead cells is a nice side scroll rouge lite and rimworld is a fun colony manager. my current play list at least when I need a break from sota.

no need to burn your bridges :) perfectly fine to go spend some time in other virtual worlds.

4. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

My suggestion is to think of it as taking a break. I have a good number of games and I don't think of it as "quitting" when I'm not playing them :)

Combat and crafting are seeing polish certainly.

If you're not having fun though, pick up some other games and play them. Come back and try this in 3 months, or 6.

I've been here as long as you and need my downtimes - I have lots of things I do because I feel I have to, but I generally pace myself and make sure I'm having fun too.

I also play a mech dueling game online and online risk, and currently working my way through mass effect andromeda (which didn't meet expectations but I still am having fun - I waited 6 months past launch until they worked out most of the buggy stuff and animations that was driving people nuts).

I have many boardgames I enjoy, but we would get bored playing the same one so we have a rotation of favourites and then others we sub in on occasion.

Just go do some other things, then come back and see how things look later.

5. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Well, if you already spent many hours...there must be something you have enjoyed, not just the dance parties I hope. Could you please tell us what you really liked and what you would like to see for combat and crafting.

Any feedback from a disappointed player is always welcome to hear and learn from :)

6. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Join the dark side. (As in stealing, killing people, making em rage)
    Once they are after you, with all the action that will bring to you, you will like the game again. ;)

Its the main thing that give me a reason to craft new gear or try new build and re-enjoy the game.

7. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

I agree with Lord Andernut, sometimes you have to just go do something else. Taking a break is not a disloyal thing, it is often needed.
    I too play different games and they are what they are. I do not compare because they are usually entirely different kinds of games.
    I played Ultima Online for many ,many years, and have come to terms that this game will never be like it.
    That is not a bad thing. We are never to old to learn new methods and new styles of game-play.

Paladin Michael and Cordelayne like this.
  8. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

I always mix my game play. Too me, too much of anything for a long time dulls it. Take a break, then ask yourself why your playing. I know I sound repetitive, but I'm here to play the game for the main purpose of the game, to see where I stack-up after following the virtue paths. And do that, hopefully, thru the following 4 episodes. That is the point of the game. So in saying that I take a long view of this game and don't worry about my levels and such, they will get there, I'm sure as we near E5 <g>. Persistence started what, 18 moths ago and I've just gotten my first GM a short time ago. My character level is like 65, yet I have a couple of thousand hours in the game. I enjoy the environment of the game. As I still do with LOTRO, I just like running around Middle Earth sometimes. If I want nostalgia, I log into UO for which I have 1 account still active since beta in '97.

The sandbox built around it is merely something to do with your time or be social while awaiting the next episode IMHO. This game isn't built like other big MMO's out there, just isn't, and I think folks may find that it lacks when compared in such a way.

Take a break, expand your horizons and enjoy games for what they are, not for what your expectations are. Things rarely live up to one's expectations.

Just my meandering thoughts.

9. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

I ran into the problem of burning myself off of SotA a while back, a few times. I just would take a few months off. Catch up on anime, shows or books or something. After that, I would come back, check what changed and try a new build. Hell, even taming I'm still sticking with. But I'll always get a bug in my butt on "I wonder if this will work...." and then go out and work toward that. It keeps me entertained. Which reminds me...I need to finish the shroud quest and then start the truth armor quests...... Anyways, if you need a break, take it, then come back and start your own personal quests to try something new. =)

10. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

I took a break a few years ago and I'm still on that break. Waiting for the game to come out, but specifically, the game including an insignificant package that I clicked buy and paid for. 1 year later checked back to see, and nope, still not in the game, 1 year later, nope, not there, 1 year later, you get the picture. It's a big disappointment.

11. golruul

golruul Avatar

Take a break and try other games.

I still log in for the daily welfare, though, when I play other games. 500 gold and 10.5k xp for doing nothing? Yes please!

Leelu and Elwyn like this.
  12. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

I dont play the game anymore really maybe 15 -30 minutes in last 6 months? I think i enjoy these forums more than the game itself. Am going to try again this release because ive read positive things but not holding my breath. I hear you though i loved UO so much for years, this game is nothing like it.

3devious likes this.
  13. smack

smack Avatar

If it's not the polish that bugs you, then it could be a content problem, as you likely already burned through all that interests you with nothing left to sustain you in the game. In that case, come back in 6 months to a year and you'll have something else to burn through...and then repeat this cycle...

But if it's more of a problem with design, this game might not be suited for you, unfortunately. I can see then addressing the content and polish problem over time, but design is much harder to change when it's the foundation of the game's core systems / features, especially when trying to do so post-launch.

That said, you mention risk / reward...can you expand on that? Perhaps the adventure scenes aren't challenging enough? Perhaps the quests aren't rewarding enough, both emotionally and materially? It's unclear. Or perhaps give examples of what you specifically want to see more of in the game?

14. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

*gasp!* :eek:

:p

15. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Well, this isn't very constructive at all... Sounds like the same old rhetoric with no explanations for it, other than "I quit" this isn't what I signed up for, well there's nothing you can do, please convince me to stay, blah, blah... Everyone is so worried about "release", preaching "Doom and Gloom" if they do, it's all a mistake, Right...

I'm really sick of the "negativity"...

Kain Darkmoor likes this.
  16. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

You do realize that you are playing a game in a state that normally you would never be able to see it? This is about the point where the old development model would start opening up a limited beta.

I've gotten bored of playing SotA at least twice since R20. There's no monthly subscription (other than lot tax if you have it), so just set it aside for two or three months, and see what it's like after release.

17. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

I always take breaks. If I am not engaged in something in SotA, I just log in weekly to putz around. I do play other games.

Currently starting up in Darkfall: New Dawn which just launched. It's an older game, but it's open world with PvP. It's a little less frantic/crazy than the original Darkfall (I hear) and certainly less so than Darkfall: Rise of Agon. Racial alliances/wars and local banking minimize the griefing aspect of PvP.

I also have characters in other games: Albion Online, Dungeons & Dragons Online, MU Legend, Path of Exile, Dark and Light, Conan Exiles, Neverwinter Online. I bought in on Legends of Aria. I plan to buy in on Camelot Unchained, Crowfall and Star Citizen. There is no expectation on my part to ever master those games, but it's nice to have choices and not feel dirty about playing other stuff. ;) Besides, this is for fun (and escapism).

18. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I usually take a few months break throughout the year, and can often be found playing Ultima Online, highly rated new RPGs from several years ago that are now on sale for $5-10, or something totally not RPG like a Far Cry game or the old school X Wing / Tie Fighter games, etc. Then out of no where I will fiend for some SotA and be back daily! And usually I am like whoa new content galore!!!!

19. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Thanks for the info.
    Good luck on your travels and wherever you go.

Leelu and Cordelayne like this.
  20. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Yup. Currently:

- murdering Nazis in Wolfenstein New Colossus just like my Dad did in WW2 (I have played every single Wolfenstein)
    - hack n' slashing my way through Diablo III seasons
    - decorating and taking the nude filters off in The Sims :p (i own almost EVERY game and expansion and stuff pack on disc)
    - catching up with all my beloved Telltale Games series! (highly recommended if you like rich story with just point and click interaction)

MMOs will have burnout no matter how good they are. It's a fact. The quest lines in SOTA are (or were) a bit borked and I've run out of money to craft. Currently just logging in to do the radio show, pay my taxes and reload my vendors (yes @Xee , I'm doing it this weekend hehe.)

Hazard, Numa, Cordelayne and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.