This is exactly what SOTA combat should NOT be like

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Poor game design, Jul 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ara

Ara Avatar

That was not doable with UO assist that was the only legal third party program.

2. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

What wasn't doable, the macroed combos or the auto healing?

3. Ara

Ara Avatar

I remember none that used it. Well only time i saw macroing was players casting inside houses never in PvP. They used illegal third party programs.

Those macroers was jailed and if they did it again i never saw them anymore. I reported some and it took 5 minutes tops to see the guy disappear from screen.

GM:s in UO was doing a good job removing macroers.

4. Ara

Ara Avatar

UO assist allowed you to cast one spell at a time when i played (up to AoS). Was no series of spells as you claim.

Easy UO though or Krioss allowed those kind of spell combinations but as you said, they were very uneffective.

5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

It's actually got a lot of very cool and innovative systems. They send criminals to jail, there is a trial by jury of your peers, there's pvp in a large portion of the world, you can build houses and farms, and you're encouraged to trade on land and sea, there's pirate ships. I mean all of that has made me look at this game several times. But what makes me stay away is the horrible combat system. There's a reason I never played WOW, and this is one of them. Combat shouldn't be about math, it should be a about skill.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

You can justify all you want the UO combat system, a game that most of us loved. But because of that we all also know how it was. Actually the explosion and flamestrike combo was pretty good, the point was to use it to kill someone before that they notice the attack. But the macro system was far away and much more than that (I even never macroed that simple combo).

Wihout macroing healing (including potions) you could basically not play pvp, or even pve.

7. Drocis the Devious

We don't know what it is yet. We know what's been described. I take it as a very positive sign by the devs that they moved up PVP into R8 and recognized that you need to run PVP in parallel to PVE combat if you're going to be truly committed to making PVP balanced and meaningful.

You're going to have a lot of time now to make your point if the card system doesn't work. But be careful, because if it really does work the other players are going to know it.

Kaisa and Time Lord like this.
  8. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

We should play different games. I played a game with tons of those guys, using hacks, using ghost cams, killing the economy with rains of gold... And I don't want to speak about the "sea of macroing", where everyone went to rise all the skills to GM with the 8x8 system.

9. Drocis the Devious

In my very limited time playing UO, I remember seeing nothing but idle characters standing around macroing skills. I always felt like this was a slap in the face of competitive play. I mean here I was not macroing and I could barely get skills to increase, and I'm standing around watching other people do it all day....that was one of the many reasons I found other things to do. UO had a lot of problems that seemed like self inflicted "bad design" wounds to me.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Ara

Ara Avatar

You dont know how UO Renaissance PvP was since what you claim is far from how it was.

Explosion and flamestrike was a worthless combo since if you met a experienced player like the one i played with in my guild you would get away the explosion but never the flamestrike. You would have been disturbed before getting it ready. You could also cast a small heal on yourself since explosion and flamestrike never killed anyone from full life if you had 225 stats.

UO assist aloowed you to put spells on your keyboard, nothing else. At least when i played UO. How it is today i have no clue of. But i talk about old UO, the game i played.

Mordecai likes this.
  11. Ara

Ara Avatar

Aye 8x8 was something many used. What you describe must have been a problem on your server.

I played Europe and we didnt have the cheaters you describe.

12. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

For me that was the main problem in UO. Even for outside of the combat system, since you could be rich just macroing. I never did it, so the only solution was to play a lot just to buy a little or to pay with real money. Of course that was not that hard in the ffirst years, but everyday was worst and worst. For me even to grain with a golem or a bear was like "fake".

I loved the game, but was the real first one to be a MMO, and was very "inoccent" in the conception. It had a lot of holes. But yes, was funny, pvp and pve. For much more years that WoW.

13. Drocis the Devious

Just to get this a little bit back on topic. That's a good example of what I don't want to see in SOTA. If someone casts Explosion on me, I want the ability to just block that outright. I want that ability to come at a cost and have risk vs. reward, but I want the power to just say "ok, everyone in the world is trying to probe me or attack first with this stupid explosion spell. Well not today, that's no longer a viable strategy because I'm actively defending against it. I might still loose, but I'm not going to loose because of 'explosion'."

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Ara

Ara Avatar

Was it a freeshard you played? Private freeshards had that problem.

OSI had few cheaters during pre-trammel and during UO Renaissance.

Today games have it though and WoW is one of the worse. Darkfall also have loads of cheaters.

The very few that cheated during UO early times would count as a game today was free of cheaters.

15. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"Confessions of a ~Time Lord~:("

How much the ~Time Lord~ o_O Sux at such mass choice of combat weaponry...
    I've been at the pinnacle of human combat within my life time with all manner of the most exotic as well as common weaponry known to man. I was once one of only 3 sergeants that trained the trainers that trained the rest of the "entire" US Army in Combat Arms... so the Yin~Yang I will state here, may sound a bit ridiculous coming from a guy like me :confused:

"My Comments About that Video's Style of Combat"
    It just seems all like some kind of gun we shoot when we talk about magic and it's a baseball bat or a pig sticker when we talk about melee combat. I mean, "who gives a dam what you call something you shoot out from you, it's all just pulling the trigger until it says click"... all else seems to be whatever we can pull out of our butpack that sounds like harmful names in words to through at our enemy... and I never once had a spread sheet with so many options to have to choose from because my butpack just got emptied as the battle progressed to final conclusion... not to mention the fact of all the "out of my hands" random events in the wind, the heat or the vibrations of the earth would have on anything I through at any enemy.

Either the force is with you, looking very cool in doing so :cool: and you rule! Or, your light saber falls down an energy shaft, or your starfighter sinks into the mud and you look like a fool :( ether the force is with you, or it's not!

When I see combat in the above style mentioned, I have to say that it takes away one of the most important employable elements of actual combat which is "veracity of intent". in the above video you can clearly see that there is no veracity as the player calmly pulls the enemy out like he's roping a cow, pulls up his spread sheet, and in doing so demonstrates no intent to take the battle to the enemy's belt buckle. "It's all about how safe he can stay and how convenient his massive amount of options are".

And so, to my friends, my confession is, "that I will either totally rule, or I will really suck" all depending on "the cards that life deals out to me", because that's the way I Roll Man! ;) "Keep it Real" :D
    That's Ever Deeper Ultima o_O
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

16. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

I played from Seond Age to Stygian Abyss. The best combos where just about the expansion and the version of the server, for example is some versions you just could not interrupt spells. The best way to play changed in the time, the holes were the same.

You didn't need UO assist to put spells on your keyboard.

17. Ara

Ara Avatar

Noone died in UO cause the opponent had explosion precasted. Well if you had 10 hp and no reflect up then you could have died but other then that, no.

18. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

I also played Europe, I had even to skip macro boats just to fish in the sea. This is already an old story.

19. Ara

Ara Avatar

I didnt play after Age of Shadows that made PvP a WoW game with its item based PvP.

Before AoS though you could disturb spells.

When i played UO i needed UO assist to get my spells on keyboard.

20. Drocis the Devious

I didn't play beta, I played during the first month or two of release. When I walked around town there were just tons of people standing around hiding in bushes or practicing stealing from each other in a corner of an empty building somewhere. The game was half dead because everyone was a bot.

If they cleaned that up, they didn't do a good job when I was there.

Darkfall is another game I have some experience with. When I played it was months after release (of the first version) and almost no one was in that game. If people were cheating I wouldn't be surprised, but honestly it seemed like I was the only person in the entire game most days. I followed Darkfall for YEARS and got to know the devs "fairly well". I had my own fan site, I was a moderator for a period of time. I can remember the devs talking about stopping scripting and cheating via network code. They seemed very confident that no one was going to get anything by them at the time. Of course, that should always be a big red flag when you hear people talking about security like that. So I'm not surprised to hear that DF had a lot of cheating.

Kaisa and Eriador like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.