This is exactly what SOTA combat should NOT be like

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Poor game design, Jul 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

The most basic i want to see. A shield i can block with.

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Yes! You'd think the average warrior would use a shield and not two weapons or a two handed weapon...but MMO's have never made a shield really viable and functional.

Shields should be like a warm blanket to anyone fighting in pvp or pve. If you're not using a shield you should have a really good reason not to (like a very offensive playing style where you don't mind giving up the enormous defensive benefit).

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Floors

Floors Avatar

I agree with you Isaiah.

This thing happens where the release comes out, there's initial excitement, then there's a collective drop in mood as everyone releases the limitations.

While I think this will never be a game that is renowned for it's cutting edge graphics, I can see that it should shape up to be a fun game, well, at least with another 6 to 8 months of development and rapid progress.

I think everyone should try to relax a bit instead of panicking every release, but the reality is no matter how far we come, at the end of the day there will be people for whom this game is just not for them, and there's nothing anyone can do about that.

I'm just happy to have been a part of the process.

4. Floors

Floors Avatar

Turtling.

5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Lord Trady of Blix,

I too feel that our game will be constantly evolving and adding content that is more focused on content quality more than just another pretty graphics game.
    Quality graphics can always be obtained at any time, yet content is the real talent that brings us to our ... "Ever Deeper Ultima" o_O

There are some things that better more modern graphic games "just can't do" because of the limitations within such minds to create good content, "because they are graphic artists" and not Quest and Content artists.

EA is good at selling games, yet this restricts their content of quality. This was very evident within many of their games, "when the bottom line is more $ to be made". games such a Command and Conquer were all but ended because once you created a sand box battle game people loved, it became difficult to sell other products because they were too busy playing an old great game. Thus one game had to die off so that another game with more ways to get that mean green "$" could flourish.
    We may need EA's or Origin's distribution some day and involvement... or we do have some Little Prince Richard's and Grand Little Lady Garriott's on the way that may follow in Big Daddy's Footprints on our gaming world :D
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

6. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I'm not panicking on release 7. I thought that was a very fun release, and I explored more stuff and the world is feeling fun and alive now. Things are really coming together.

Time Lord and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
  7. Johnny Black

Johnny Black Avatar

I guess in most games, if you have an auto-attack feature, using a shield just adds its defensive number to the whole number of your defensive skills. The only games, in which I have played, where the shield must be manipulated by the user to perform its duties are Chivalry and any Elder Scrolls game. I think for a shield to actually take some sort of "skill" to use, a game must have a control combat system in which "I click the LMB and my sword swings where my reticle is pointing."

Ravicus Domdred and Time Lord like this.
  8. baronandy

baronandy Avatar

9. Casteel

Casteel Avatar

I would love to see hit boxes and directional blocking/swinging. Its more realistic and enjoyable for me at least. I did like Chivalry style combat but I think Mortal did it better with the directional stuff. I have yet to experience a battle or individual combat that had the intensity of Mortal Online.

10. Markus_Sevron

Markus_Sevron Avatar

OK I hate to always bring up Asheron's Call, but Baron Dorcis's comment about blocking a spell made me realize that unless you know what spell is coming before it hits you, you can't apply some kind of spell-specific block. AC1 does not include a blocking component per se, but has chance to "resist" the spell which is calculated from the caster's skill level and the "recipient's" intellect. Also, you can tell whats coming because the spell caster's cast results in the him saying something in local channel (e.g., Cruath Caltek" or somesuch). Once you learn the language of old Dereth, you can tell what is coming your way when a caster winds up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.