Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

This isn't immersion breaking at all...

Discussion in 'Release 20 Feedback' started by Soulicide, Aug 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

[​IMG]

I'm under that giant bear somewhere. Is this supposed to be normal for tamed animals? Shouldn't they actually be slightly scaled down? This will get really obnoxious once everyone starts running around with their new pets.

StarLord, KuBaTRiZeS, Chatele and 2 others like this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

In the same vain, tonight I had someone run right through me as if I wasn't even there.

There are people playing this game in multiplayer that simply ignore all the multiplayers.

I'd love to see multiplayer be a lot less forgiving of playstyles that don't like multiplayer realities and inconveniences. If you want to play the game as if no one else is there, don't play multiplayer.

That means there should be collision and friendly fire, and control points that can be taken over by other players and you have to pay them a tax if you want to get through....etc...

3. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

There should definitely be collision between players in multiplayer, and pets should also not be allowed to walk all over another player like the bear in the screenshot above. I also think NPC's should react negatively towards players bringing big pets like that into their store/house? Give players a reason to tell their pet to stay outside.

Svahn and Chatele like this.
  4. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

Bears should absolutely be able to walk over a person. Afterall, the bear is bigger and stronger.

Why should npc's react negatively to pets? Maybe they are pet lovers, not animal haters like some people. Maybe that is his seeing eye bear . . . . why are you so anti-animal?

Hettar Fimbultyr likes this.
  5. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Doing this would penalized a lot of people who don't deserve to be because you have an issue with some play styles you don't like.... This idea for one would make me quit the game.....

I disagree with what you said , except for the collision part.... I play on multiplayer, and enjoy it, but I am also a SOLOER at heart.... I enjoy interacting with real real players now and then, that's why I choose Multiplayer gaming..... with solo play included.... I have never had the problem you mentioned .... not yet and I am on a lot :)

StarLord, smack, FrostII and 3 others like this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

We can agree to disagree then. Despite my abrasive attitude on the subject, my goal is not to exclude anyone that wishes to be a part of a true multiplayer experience. What I was voicing frustration about was a large part of the population that play multiplayer games and then expect not to have to interact with anyone else. It's absurd.

7. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

Absurd is a relative term, just because you think it is absurd, doesn't make it so. It is all a matter of perspective, who is qualified to say that your perspective is some how more valid than hers?

This is a social gathering fantasy game, what is absurd is people expecting it to reflect real life.

8. Drocis the Devious

I totally agree. Everyone's free to have their own opinions.

Grumpy likes this.
  9. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

Then, we agree to agree, dammit, I hate when that happens.

10. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

In the screenshot the bear is actually standing through the player, and I think that is not something that should be a possibility, at least not without guts and blood spilling everywhere. It is not common for tame pets, or in this case a tame bear to walk all over a strange person, even if it can, unless they feel threatened or are attacking them. I can't see a battle going on there. The bear could want to give a person a hug, I suppose, but that would be rather uncommon I'd think, and not something every pet in the game would do simply because there is no collision-logic in place. That should rather be a hug type of emote for the pets.

The bear is taking precious customer space, allowing fewer customers to enter their place of bartering and possibly frightening some from even entering. Was the door even big enough for the bear to enter to begin with?

Chatele likes this.
  11. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

I vote for the guts and blood spilling everywhere . . . .. I like how you think about that . . . . . as to the customer space, what if the bear is also an alcoholic, wouldn't that deserve precedence for customer space ? The last bear I saw drunk left her wallet on the bar and I drank for free all night !!!!!!

12. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

TY Grumpy

FrostII likes this.
  13. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

Mm. The fact--not simply personal perspective-- is that having a bunch of giant bears standing around in a tiny shop clipping through players' bodies doesn't reflect anything except a need to tweak pet mechanics.

Note: I do not agree with collision between players. Perhaps collision for pets against other pets and pets against other players. This would encourage players to dismiss their pets in small or busy locations.

Mordecai likes this.
  14. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Pets need to be normal size in relations to the Avatars. They are way to big and it looks so silly.

Soulicide likes this.
  15. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

A pet house cat should be small. A pet obsidian bear or a wild obsidian bear should be the same size. It being a pet should have no bearing on it's size.

Stabling combat pets at the walls of a town is fair. Let people bring out their small non-combat town pets in the town.

Hettar Fimbultyr and Duke Raas like this.
  16. Albus

Albus Avatar

I actually like the size of the bears... Bears are not small creatures in general, afterall! But I also agree with Baron Drocis on collision, particularly in combat situations it is annoying when people move through the bodies of others, or even worse when lack of collision rewards "stacking" people all in exactly the same spot (which they should not all be able to occupy) to exploit cover, aoe buffs, etc.

I think the existing no-collision but slowed movement works fine in towns though outside of combat, so people don't block access to shops and such. I'd work around collision there too if it had to be all or nothing, mind you ;)

17. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

You've never heard of this guy, have you?

[​IMG]

IMHO, it would be a bit odd if a tamed animal scaled down.... not to mention defying the laws of nature. ;)

Oh, and as for bears being too big in relation to people, as someone who runs into bears when she's out hiking in the Alaska wilds... I can assure you, YES, they really are that much bigger than we are. ;)

18. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Just.........WoW, I hope that things potty trained LOL.

19. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

Now I'm craving a bison burger on the grill. Thanks. :D

Albus likes this.
  20. The One True Nobody

The One True Nobody Avatar

Actually seeing someone other than myself complain about the immersion-breaking nature of weird servant creatures running around in MMOs is kind of refreshing, but that also brings up the point that it's kind of ordinary. I think it's more worth mentioning that some system should be implemented whereby tamed animals will wait outside of towns for their masters.

Chatele, Albus and Soulicide like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.